How Well Do You Know Your Wife Or Gf's Family

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Many of us seem to think we know our ladies and their families fairly well, well over the 17 years of marriage, and learning more and more of the language, I have been able to pick up the gist of the conversations at family reunions and then later asked my wife what they were talking about, knowing that she would have to tell me the total truth, (which she would do anyway) and also because she knows that I can understand more than I can speak. One day a nephew came to the village to visit while we were there having a family reunion, Well to me it was pretty obvious that this nephew was trouble, and his cold stare and cold mannerisms were obvious signs to me that he was a tough young man, and must have had a hard life. I asked my wife to find out more about him and it turns out that he lived in Manilas Tando section and made a living as a snatcher, mugger, and any other crime he had to commit to earn money. I would not doubt that he may have even killed during his time there, but I have no knowledge of that, it is just a hunch. Well he and I got along, and I finally brought a smile to his face, and maybe I, or other events turned his life around, because he later got married and has a job and child and is living a normal life now, so I am told. The other thing I found out which shocked me, was that one of my brother in laws had done 4 years for murder and he seemed like such an easy going nice person during the years I knew him, and up until the time he died in a truck accident while helping in the back, while they transported caribau (water buffalo) and he got crushed when the truck rolled over, but back to the topic, seems 3 of my wife's brothers were playing basketball with a rival towns group at a fiesta and a heated argument broke out, the story goes that one of the other group pulled a knife and one of the brothers took it away and stabbed the guy with it. I am pretty sure that the one who killed the other guy was not the one who went to jail for it, but Philippine justice said someone had to pay back then, and the nice guy took the fall. So what does that mean, it means that the killer is still around and I am pretty sure I know which one it would be, so my point is that if someone got mad enough, or drunk enough to kill once, it might happen again. So while my wife's family seems to love me and I love them, I have no doubt that if I wronged her badly, that one of the brothers who thinks nothing of traveling around the Philippines, would also think nothing of bringing justice to their family. My point being, many of us have no idea what some of our extended family might be capable of, so wronging a wife or gf, or being worth too much dead, is not always a good idea in the Philippines IMHO. I tell you these things because ignorance is bliss and I recently lost a friend when he got married because we were discussing him buying a house, and I suggested he be careful and get to know his wife's family totally first and maybe wait a few years. I guess I should have minded my own business but after reading about so many expats getting killed and having a bad feeling about his lady based on a number of issues including her temper, I was concerned, and thus stupid enough to tell him to be careful which lead to his wife reading his email while he slept, and insulting me in a rage of curse words, which just proved to me that she was exactly what I suspected that she might be, a hot tempered very jealous person, which is not a good combination IMHO. They are happily married now and I pray I was wrong, and I only wish them all the best, but I pray to never read about him online. How many of your ladies read you email without your permission?

Edited by Kuya Lee
add

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
How many of your ladies read you email without your permission?
Well I cant say I know about reading my Email but when In Cebu earlier this year a female friend of mine got a sms text from my wife,where did she get the number?my phone of course,lol.We did have words over that as I consider my phone as private but a jealous woman will do as they wish. :cheersty:
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife's family is my family for better or worse and so far by far for the better.

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

It scares me to think what the mentality of the average Filipino man is. I have been with my wife for 2 years and I get along with her family and friends. We have a certain group of family and friends that always come over for a party. The guys that come are 30 to 45 age and there is about 10 of them. I have gotten to know these guys pretty good ( at least I thought I did ). They were a good bunch of easy going hard working family loving men and were always cheerful and happy. The other day some of them were at a sari sari store hanging out when they got into a argument with some other Filipinos. Well from what I heard it was an all out brawl, with some of the guys I know getting beaten with pipes and there was one man stabbed. The victim is in the hospital and they say he will survive. The father of the victim is wanting 100,000 pesos to make it go away and the person using the knife can not afford to pay, So to court it goes. How long this will drag out nobody knows. I was told it could take years. The point is I know these guys to be easy going family men and one of them did the stabbing. I hired some workers for a job I did and found out a week before the job was done that one of the guys had just gotten out of jail for murder ( unbelievable ! ). Last year a foreigner was shot in the head and killed just down from the main gates of my subdivision ( robbery ). It seems to be all around us this viciousness just hidden out of site ready to appear at any given moment if provoked. Now I am a fairly easy going guy myself and my fighting days are left far behind me in my teen age years. but I have been known to have an peaceful argument or two but would never let it escalate to pipes and knives. It is a little worrisome to know that I live amongst this way of life

Edited by sjp52

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear of your recent bad experiences with those family members and friends. I don’t think that is typical behavior at least not from Filipinos I know.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Sorry to hear of your recent bad experiences with those family members and friends. I don’t think that is typical behavior at least not from Filipinos I know.
I did not think these guys would be involved with something like that. I was shocked.