Attitude Of Entitlement

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

It does not only happen in the Philippines, it appears to happen within the communities of many poor races, so we have the same problem in the US too. The below editorial hits on some issues and I feel is worth watching and commenting on. PNoy's cash giveaways and robbers I have heard the same thing from one of our nephews I sent to college, when asked why he stole money from the college fund I set up for him, his brother and his sister, his answer was that it was my fault for putting so much in it, so it seems he did not mind depriving his own brother and sister of college for his own greedy needs, attitude like that seems to be prevalent in many, so from what I have learned over time, pay directly to the school and never give most control over any large some of money because the temptation might be too great, yet that is not the case with all since we have one niece who we have trusted with larger sums and she has taken nothing, and in fact has put some back when we gave her money to buy something and there was left over change, so I struggle to know why my wife, our niece and some others are so different, and only wish I could find the answer so to help the rest to do things the correct way. WHY, WHY, WHY and HOW, HOW, HOW is what I often struggle with. :9436:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
It does not only happen in the Philippines, it appears to happen within the communities of many poor races, so we have the same problem in the US too. The below editorial hits on some issues and I feel is worth watching and commenting on. PNoy's cash giveaways and robbers I have heard the same thing from one of our nephews I sent to college, when asked why he stole money from the college fund I set up for him, his brother and his sister, his answer was that it was my fault for putting so much in it, so it seems he did not mind depriving his own brother and sister of college for his own greedy needs, attitude like that seems to be prevalent in many, so from what I have learned over time, pay directly to the school and never give most control over any large some of money because the temptation might be too great, yet that is not the case with all since we have one niece who we have trusted with larger sums and she has taken nothing, and in fact has put some back when we gave her money to buy something and there was left over change, so I struggle to know why my wife, our niece and some others are so different, and only wish I could find the answer so to help the rest to do things the correct way. WHY, WHY, WHY and HOW, HOW, HOW is what I often struggle with. :(
The video editorial was presented by Makati City Rep. Teodoro "Teddy Boy" Locsin Jr. He is one politician not to piss off and his argument for President Aquino to give a million bucks to Japan was valid. In my view, it was a noble gesture for the Philippine president to come visit Japan without begging this time. In spite of the Philippines being 80 percent Christian, grab mentality, jealousy, culture of impunity and thedeepening poverty have attributed to this culture of blaming someone else. There is also a culture of self pity which may justify their criminal or abnormal behavior. I mean, what will prevent a lowly rice vendor frommixing inferior rice with premium rice. Her excuse would be: if the people in power can get away with murderor plundering the national treasure, why can't I steal a couple pesos here and there. Jake
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Frankly I see more of the "I am entitled" BS here in the States than in Philippines. IMO many Americans expect the Government to support them and many in the Government willing to do so in order to stay in power.In the Philippines there is a strong culture of sharing within family, clan or close friends one reasons Filipinos fear falling out with family and friends. I guess some of that would include us rich Kano family members. :(

• Like 2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

That is exactly true, it happens in the US as well and I am sure other places too, so what makes people think they are entitled to take from others? I cannot understand the mindset of what yours is mine and that mindset seems to be growing with each new generation of have nots.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This thread had me surfing around and I found the lyrics to this old Shirley Temple song. I've never heard it before (still haven't 'heard' it, just read the lyrics) but its a cute little rhyme. Read it all before making up your mind. (Unfortunately there is no winter in Philippines so filipinos might think this does not apply to them). Oh the world owes me a livingDeedle dardle doodle deedle dumOh the world owes me a livingDeedle dardle doodle deedle dumIf I worked hard all day I mightSleep better when in bed at nightI sleep all day so that's alrightDeedle dardle doodle deedle dumThere once was an old grasshopperWho could only think of funHe looked on work as something tooUnpleasant to be doneHe loved to sit in the summer sunAnd fiddle all day longWhile dozing there he played this airAnd singed this little songThe north wind blew the leaves away When winter came one stormy dayThe snow fell fast upon the groundNo food nor shelter could be foundThis old grasshopper sad and weakCould hardly hop or view his feetHe slipped, He fellPoor Chap, FarewellSome ants stayed in their hilly home Looked out and saw him sneezingThey soaked his feet in mustard sauceHe grew better soonNow every day they hear him playAnd sing this little tuneOh I owe the world a livingDeedle dardle doodle deedle dum, ah-choo!Oh I owe the world a livingDeedle dardle doodle deedle dum, ah-choo!I got a bad cold in my headYou ants were right the time you saidYou've got to work for all you getDeedle dardle doodle deedle dum, ah-choo

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

There you go Dave Oh the world owes me a living

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Frankly I see more of the "I am entitled" BS here in the States than in Philippines. IMO many Americans expect the Government to support them and many in the Government willing to do so in order to stay in power.In the Philippines there is a strong culture of sharing within family, clan or close friends one reasons Filipinos fear falling out with family and friends. I guess some of that would include us rich Kano family members. :hystery:
post-682-0-04232300-1318740892_thumb.jpgLike any benefit, entitlements are earned and not a freebie! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

they do it, as its a lack of common sense, consideration, curtsy(wrong spell) .dont blame your self the blame starts with the MOTHER,FATHER & the family. Most of us are brought up to be very thankful for the "gifts" we received. these people. seem to lack the basic in gratitudes, a simple thank you card(15p) or even hand made, a card on our birthday as a appreciation of thanks for what we have done for them.(BUT NO)about the person who blamed another for "leaving too much money" in the account, more of the not my fault its all yours, not to be rude to the forum, BUT that little SXXX if i had my way,( he would be singing the words of Jesus everytime i walked by) when 1 person screws things up for others, it seems the mentality is not my fault, but can you send me the money anyway... Hxxx , cut them off for 6 monthsm let them learn a lesson, the 2nd time 1 year, give these little Sxxx something to wonder, If they want our help. abide by OUR rules. teach these little Sxxx some discipline,respect, common sense, and curtisy.. I bet after 1 or 2 times they will learn quickly that YOU, I mean serious business. yes jake i do have a bad day when I try to help and I get the CR dumped on me,

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

While I do not like this problem with some family members, I have found others do not act that way so I never put everyone into one category, and many Filipino friends I have do not act that way, so it makes me wonder what the difference was that made different people turn out so different. I thought it had to do with who brought them up, yet the same parents and family brought up all my wife's brothers and sisters, and they all seemed to have turned out very different. I do not get sick over it, and I do not even let it get me too upset nowadays, I have adjusted my ways and treat others the way they treat me, so the good get taken care of, and those who try or tried to take advantage of me have lost the big picture since they would have gotten a lot more out of me in the long haul, yet unfortunately only thought of making the one shot deal. They actually did me a favor in the long haul because I am saving a ton of money. The boy who stole the money was not able to finish his college because I refused to pay anymore for him, so it was his loss and the loss to his family because he had a chance to be something better, yet he took the easy road instead. Nothing in this for any of us to get too excited about, just for others to learn from our mistakes.

• Like 2