What Positive Results Of Helping Filipinos?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Anyone have a positive story they care to share of how they were able to help Filipino family or friends living in Philippines? I know we have all heard enough horror story’s how about some good ones? For example we have sent money to family for private schools and college tuitions. From what I read online it seems this is fairly typical of Foreigners married to Filipinas. We also have given to an American Filipino Catholic foundation that among other things installs wells for public schools in the Providences. A well costs about $2,000.00. I’m not Catholic but this foundation is outstanding and we feel it very worth while. It’s totally mindboggling that the government would build a school without ANY drinking water available for the school children!!! But this is common.

• Like 3

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My wife and I were blessed to have met a young man named Angelo who was our salesman when we bought our condos. Angelo will work for money but refuses to take money if we do not assign him a job to do for it. Because we can see the true good qualities in this young man, we had offered to buy a small unit on time payments just for an investment and let him rent it out, so that he could take all that money and use it to go back to college to finish his last two years and pay his and his wife's monthly expenses, he refused, so we had to find other ways to make him earn money so he could start his own small business for his wife to run, a sari sari store. We have trusted Angelo with fairly large amounts of money in the past and he has never taken even one peso for himself unless we direct him to, so while he was not born into our family, we feel he is a part of it, so it is our aim to make sure he, his wife, and his children have a better life and a future, of course if we can afford to make that happen, thus trying to do it a little at a time. My wife and I are not rich but I feel it is better to do without somethings and let someone have a better life, so that is our aim with Angelo. We also have one niece who has been put in charge of one bank account that we can transfer money into for emergencies while we are outside the Philippines, and she then handles the distribution. Rose has also never taken even one centavo out without asking our permission, and we have had to force her to take money for herself, so once again she will only take it when she earns it, so we have to assign her tasks to do for us and then insist she take money for herself for doing them and for her expenses to do them. Roses cellphone broke a few years ago so we gave her money to buy a new phone, instead of buying an expensive one, she bought a cheaper one that would do the job and put the rest of the money back into our account. I would have preferred she had bought a better one but she said the less expensive one will do the job for her, so no need for the expensive one. Rose and her husband now has four children and I have told my wife that we need to try to set aside some money to help them send their children to college when the time comes, hopefully some or all of those children will become professionals if they learned properly from their mother and father. We also have Charity and May who are the daughters we never had, so we are blessed to have found them as well and they have enriched our lives by showing us the qualities instilled in them by their mother, so they have gone out of their way to bring food and other items over when they visit and to gave us presents, and never ask us for anything, even when I know they must need things, so they too have become an important part of our family. Last one for now, we have another niece that we helped to put through high school and was going to send to college but things got in the way which I do not wish to go into, so one day last year she and her bf came up to our condo and she said that since she has been working, she wanted to repay us for the setup money we had set aside for her college, so knowing she did not have to do that, and that she does not have much money, we told her to set it aside to use for her future life, but the fact that she came with money in hand to give us, showed me the quality of the person, and a person of quality deserves to be rewarded IMHO. So great people do exist and all we have to do is find them and keep them close once we do.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Here is one that I came across today. Surplus medical gear to be sent to Philippines Garbage saves lives. That's the basic premise of Surplus Health Supplies for Missions, a Battle Creek-based group that gathers landfill-bound medical supplies and ships them instead to the Philippines. "You throw away a lot of things here that can save a life over there," said the Rev. Donald Soriano, executive director of Bethesda Ministries International out of Baguio City, Philippines. A life-changing chain of events kicked off Saturday as a group of about a dozen volunteers braved a chilly morning to fill an enormous shipment container with old medical equipment. Hundreds of boxes of medical supplies, crutches and canes were loaded up at a home in Convis Township. Soriano's mission will use the goods to improve health care in the Philippines. more here, http://www.battlecre...ent-Philippines

• Like 1

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Its very nice to hear that there are people in other countrys that care to help the philippine poor people, while the ritch ones just help themselves . :tiphat: ej.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

gapotwo, do you have a positive story to share helping Filipino family or friends living in Philippines?Most Filipino familys will help other family members as best they can when in need.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
gapotwo, do you have a positive story to share helping Filipino family or friends living in Philippines?Most Filipino familys will help other family members as best they can when in need.
Old 55. unfortunatly i dont have a positive story to share about this, because i was raised in the phi lippines in a family that only took care of ourselves.(one of the ritch ones) thats probably why i left the security of our family, to live on the other side of the fence,and see the reality of the surroundings and expeirence what it is like to be poor and hungry. Beleive me, it is not fun to not know where your next meal will be coming from. real soon when i get back to my birth land, i will be working with others to help out the forgotted children.(amer .asians) that were left behind by their foreign fathers. what the outcome of this will be? only time can tell. i have lots of time and dont have to work for a living so i can help others help themselves. :3_8_14[1]: tanks ej.
  • Like 2

Travis
Posted
Posted

only that once you help them then they usually ask for more but my experience may vary from others coz I was newbie & may have only met up with the bad families

• Like 1