Ways To Reduce Our Living Costs

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Topic split and piglett's post moved HERE so we can fully expand on it without going off topic.

Edited by Kuya Lee
add

• 5 months later...
Okieboy
Posted
Posted

we had a problem with ants in our house , i was in Davao City visiting a friend when he took a spray bottle and started spraying the ants, killed them all , i asked what he was using , he said liquid soap and water , when i got home i tried it and it works great, every time we see the ants ,out comes the spray bottle, save a little and not to toxic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Turn off the aircon and use a fan! Find a new supplier if you are paying P700 per month for your drinking water. Buy your rice direct from the source, if possible. We are now paying P1500 for 60kg. Have a pig that only eats your scraps. So it will cost nothing to raise. Then use it at fiesta time. Tell the relatives you have no spare money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
If anyone has good clean city water running into their homes, you can save about P700 a month from buying distilled drinking water, by installing an under the kitchen sink, a 5 stage reverse osmosis water filter system with a small built-in electric water pressure pump for those areas that have weak water pressures! A one 5 gallon bottled distilled water in our area cost P62! We go through 3 5 gallon bottles a week! That's P744 a month! With the filter system, the membrane only has to be replaced every 6 months of normal use and the 5 stage filters every 8 to 10 months. The 5 stage filter system costs around P14,000! Is it worth it? We don't have one now, but would like to hear from those out there who do!
Here in Perth where I live we are completely off the water supply and so have rainwater tanks. 2 @ 130,000 litres (34,000 US Gallon) to supply the house. The rainwater is used for everything including drinking and no one has gotten sick from it. In a city situation, a small house designed rainwater tank would be adequate for drinking water. As it rains in Phili way more than here, it would be constantly getting refreshed, unlike my situation where the rainwater tanks aren't replenished for several months in the year. Just use a grille of sorts to keep the mozzies out.Food for thought....... Edited by wandibushman

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
Turn off the aircon and use a fan!Find a new supplier if you are paying P700 per month for your drinking water.Buy your rice direct from the source, if possible. We are now paying P1500 for 60kg.Have a pig that only eats your scraps. So it will cost nothing to raise. Then use it at fiesta time.Tell the relatives you have no spare money.
I've seen pigs kept partially under the family house and all the people poops get turned into pig fat. So enjoy your plate of organic pork next time you visit country Thailand hehehe Edited by wandibushman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Necessity is the Mother of InventionThere is NO shaving cream sold anywhere in the entire province of Biliran. I know this because I love a nice clean, close shave so much that I spent $80 in Hong Kong to buy a first class Fusion razor with a year's supply of blades. . . but I did not buy enough shave cream and there is NO shave cream sold in the province I am living in.So I searched for an alternative and at the same time found a way to reduce my cost of living. Shave cream is a little bit expensive but soap used as a lather leaves me with many small cuts and nicks. So I mixed up some hair shampoo, (for lather), and hair conditioner, (for lubrication and to soften the whiskers). Then I tried to find a product to add to it to make it a bit thicker and to stretch it out so it lasts longer. I am looking for some kind of cheap thickener. Any ideas? I tried using cheap body lotion which does stretch it out to give more value for the peso but doesn't thicken it.PS. You'll need a trusty shave brush to lather this concoction up and spread it on your face but it does a decent job.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This topic might help you out,

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

LOLSeems like someone had a boring evening and decided to fill it productively with a profit making idea. Throw in a free shaving cream brush applicator and you'll sell lots. Add a pretty maid in underwear to apply the product and you can charge more.

• Like 3

Candyman
Posted
Posted

Sounds like Jollygoodfellow used to be a salesman for Doctor Glowstork's Nacker Laquer ! For those that are not familiar with Doctor Glowstork, he had a little jingle that went something like this : "Has your hammer lost it's glamour, or your cluster lost it's lustre, you need Doctor Glowstork's Nacker lacquer "! :36_1_50[1]: :36_1_50[1]:

• Like 4