The Bank Of Phil. Islands

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just recently I opened an account with them due to a suggestion of Kristine, Bob's fiancee. I've been to several banks in the country and so far they are the one that provide a better service. I was able to finish my transaction in less than one hour and I got my ATM card with my name printed on it. I got it right away too at BDO but without a name! ^_^ All the employees are trying to give you a better service because after serving you they will give you a card bearing the question, "Are you happy with our service" and you gonna drop it in the YES or NO boxes provided. With the many complaints about our banking system, maybe this is an improvement. http://www.bpiexpressonline.com/One important thing...when depositing anywhere in the Philippines, no service charge!

Edited by tweety

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

We have had a number of BPI accounts over the years and we love the online portion and bill pay. Online, you can exchange dollars for pesos if you have a dollar account and transfer pesos between different accounts. We opened the original accounts in CDO and also now have an account in Cebu and we usually give the nieces and nephews that we send to college a card, and then transfer the money into the accounts monthly to prevent them from spending too much at one time. IMHO, most Filipinos who grew up poor have no idea how to handle money, and too much money is often a temptation that they cannot resist. Take my word for that and you will not have to learn the hard way like I did.

• Like 1

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)
We have had a number of BPI accounts over the years and we love the online portion and bill pay. Online, you can exchange dollars for pesos if you have a dollar account and transfer pesos between different accounts. We opened the original accounts in CDO and also now have an account in Cebu and we usually give the nieces and nephews that we send to college a card, and then transfer the money into the accounts monthly to prevent them from spending too much at one time. IMHO, most Filipinos who grew up poor have no idea how to handle money, and too much money is often a temptation that they cannot resist. Take my word for that and you will not have to learn the hard way like I did.
Yes, I agree with you Lee. I myself is a product of a father who asked and demanded official receipts in all school fees and contributions. Maybe that's why that nowadays, I never ask it to my own kids nor I keep them. It's a good thing Alan did!Anyways, it seemed that everyday, I am enjoying my transaction with them. Just sent and ATM card to my contact in manila for my underwear business. Now I will be waiting free and service charge free in sending my payment to her. Edited by tweety

• 1 year later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Just recently I opened an account with them due to a suggestion of Kristine, Bob's fiancee. I've been to several banks in the country and so far they are the one that provide a better service. I was able to finish my transaction in less than one hour and I got my ATM card with my name printed on it. I got it right away too at BDO but without a name! ^_^ All the employees are trying to give you a better service because after serving you they will give you a card bearing the question, "Are you happy with our service" and you gonna drop it in the YES or NO boxes provided. With the many complaints about our banking system, maybe this is an improvement. http://www.bpiexpressonline.com/One important thing...when depositing anywhere in the Philippines, no service charge!
I've been with BPI since retiring in the Philippines in 1998. BPI is an efficient and reputable bank. They even gave us a mortgage loan when we purchased our home back in 2001. Their on-line home banking is also convenient, where I can do most of my banking transactions like paying bills, converting my dollar currency and transferring from one account to another! The only drawback to my banking needs is concerning my U.S. based government pension direct deposit. I used to have my U.S. government pension direct deposited to my BPI dollar account with ATM and internet access previously 7 years ago. A few years ago, I was contacted by a BPI representative and they informed me that due to a U.S. directive, that direct deposit of U.S. government pensions can no longer avail a direct deposit account with ATM or internet access and that I would have resort to using a dollar passbook account without ATM or internet access. So what I did was, I just redirected my U.S. government pension direct deposit back to my bank in the U.S. where I still have ATM and internet access! The reason for the U.S. Government in implementing the directive I mentioned above was because due to the fact that there were U.S. citizens residing in the Philippines, who's non-related friends were still withdrawing money from his/her accounts via ATM, when the member was already deceased for months or even years! When the U.S. government was finally informed of their death, it was too late to recover any money that was already withdrawn. In that case, the legal next of kin was out of thousands of dollars! So now you all know the reason for the U.S. Government directive in not allowing ATM and internet access on overseas U.S. based pension direct deposit accounts! I hope this information explains why other banks will not allow anyone to have ATM and internet access to your overseas dollar U.S. based government pension direct deposit account! It may not apply to those with private pension plans in the U.S., but I'm not certain of that if that's the case, you'll have to find that out for yourselves to make certain of that prior to applying for an overseas direct deposit account, unless you are OK with using a "passbook" type account without ATM or internet access. I also forgot to mention, if your U.S. account has internet on-line banking, it may have a feature where you can make transfers from your U.S. account to your Philippine dollar account, but you can only initiate and activate the feature while only in the U.S., because your U.S. bank will not send security pass codes over the internet or use couriers to send them outside of the U.S.! Good luck and happy banking where ever you may live! Well, here for now! Have a good day! Edited by Mr. Lee
Posts combined

• 2 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I have used BPI and BPI Remit(spain & HK) and the service is very good,

very helpful, understandable people,  SO if your seeking a bank, at least inquire on BPI,

In the major cities BPI branches abound ,outside in the provinces, NOT as many but the service is better than some of the other banks,

Altho every one has their likes/dislikes....

Another reason to use BPI is the new(actually 2 years old) is the Express Cash deposit feature

here is a brief article on it as well as the links

Deposit Your Cash anytime, real-time

Deposit your cash without the assistance of a branch teller!

A first in the country, the Cash Deposit Machine is an online deposit facility for BPI, BPI Family Savings Bank and BPI Direct cardholders which allows actual cash deposit with real-time credit to account.

This machine accepts cash in P100, 500 and P1000 denominations and is credited to your account IN AN INSTANT.

As proof of your cash deposit transaction, you get a transaction receipt.

http://www.bpiexpressonline.com/

https://www.mybpimag...=409&Itemid=452

https://www.mybpimag...=410&Itemid=453

samatm
Posted
Posted

OPEN Sundays at Ayala and SM - FYI

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Is this a FULL SERVICE Branch or an EXPRESS BANKING CENTER that only allows new account openings,and various services ?? Yes BPI does have branches open on Sat& Sun ,as they are Limited in serviceNO cash deposits,loan servicing, etc Only account info,new accounts opening,,For those who are NEW, or considering a new bank account, If 1 BPI express banking centerdenies your request to open an account, Just try another The same with other banks here in the RP .

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Is this a FULL SERVICE Branch or an EXPRESS BANKING CENTER that only allows new account openings,and various services ?? Yes BPI does have branches open on Sat& Sun ,as they are Limited in serviceNO cash deposits,loan servicing, etc Only account info,new accounts opening,,For those who are NEW, or considering a new bank account, If 1 BPI express banking centerdenies your request to open an account, Just try another The same with other banks here in the RP .

Exactly. What many here have discovered is that the bank name is just a franchise. Every branch of every bank is an individual franchise that has their own rules. If one branch denies you, go to the next branch down the road.
  • Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Exactly. What many here have discovered is that the bank name is just a franchise. Every branch of every bank is an individual franchise that has their own rules. If one branch denies you, go to the next branch down the road.

Yes Steve that is true.

I went in BDO in F Ramos street to make a payment to the NSO. I had not taken the 2 copies of my transaction with me which I should have done.The cashier mentioned this and I said but I don`t have a printer. I had all the information so she let me make the payment. A week later I was in BDO on Fuente circle and never had the paperwork again, this time I had to go to an internet cafe to get them printed as there they would not budge on their rules. So if one says no go to another who will probably say yes.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
lonewolf
Posted
Posted

thanks for this info i was looking for potential bank in phillipines. and this sound like a good bank