Medical Health Ins In The Rp Or From Elsewhere?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm just curious as to how many retirees have medical health Insurance while residing in the Philippines! I'm pretty sure the majority of us have medical insurance from our home country and can be used internationally on a reimbursement basis. But there are a few that don't have any kind of health insurance coverage due to the expensive monthly premiums as we get older and because they just pay in cash as needed from their nest egg or investments! And also, there are cases where some insurance companies have canceled people's policies for some reason and can no longer get health coverage due to a previous or present existing medical condition. Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? A word to the wise, read the reimbursement policy before purchasing ins coverage in the Philippines if you have other forms of health coverage elsewhere! Most Philippines health care companies will ask you if you have other health insurance coverage elsewhere and if you do, they have precedence where you have to send your claims to them first before the Philippine health ins company will pay for the difference! So in other words, you pay more premiums to for your ins here and get less back in return since your other policy picked up the tab in the beginning of your claim! I hope you all understood what I just mentioned! It happens! I'll stop here for now and continue this subject again later with more info! But give me your opinions or feed backs on this subject matter! Thanks for reading my topic! I believe it's an important subject to all residing in a 3rd world country!

Edited by Art & Jho

stef
Posted
Posted

health insurance is always a interesting subject as each persons needs / health is different i have looked at a few here and the rules / quotes can vary by huge amounts .eg for a family of 3 with blue cross p44500 but with medicare p32000 now the rules and coverage with these two companies are different but i would not list that here or i will be here till the cows come home . its just to give people an idea to the differences and until you ask for your own individual quote who knows the cost it could be more or less.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I'm just curious as to how many retirees have medical health Insurance while residing in the Philippines! I'm pretty sure the majority of us have medical insurance from our home country and can be used internationally on a reimbursement basis. But there are a few that don't have any kind of health insurance coverage due to the expensive monthly premiums as we get older and because they just pay in cash as needed from their nest egg or investments! And also, there are cases where some insurance companies have canceled people's policies for some reason and can no longer get health coverage due to a previous or present existing medical condition. Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? I'll stop here for now and continue this subject again later with more info! But give me your opinions or feed backs on this subject matter! Thanks for reading my topic! I believe it's an important subject to all residing in a 3rd world country!
Hi Art, I have my insurance from Canada that covers me. It is free. I am staying 7 months in Philly and 5 in Canada for now. Will probably get bluecross when i am full time here. Only thing is, My Canadian insurance only covers up to 220,000 pesos when i am here in Philippines. But its free

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I'm just curious as to how many retirees have medical health Insurance while residing in the Philippines! I'm pretty sure the majority of us have medical insurance from our home country and can be used internationally on a reimbursement basis. But there are a few that don't have any kind of health insurance coverage due to the expensive monthly premiums as we get older and because they just pay in cash as needed from their nest egg or investments! And also, there are cases where some insurance companies have canceled people's policies for some reason and can no longer get health coverage due to a previous or present existing medical condition. Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? I'll stop here for now and continue this subject again later with more info! But give me your opinions or feed backs on this subject matter! Thanks for reading my topic! I believe it's an important subject to all residing in a 3rd world country!
Hi Art, I have my insurance from Canada that covers me. It is free. I am staying 7 months in Philly and 5 in Canada for now. Will probably get bluecross when i am full time here. Only thing is, My Canadian insurance only covers up to 220,000 pesos when i am here in Philippines. But its free
PhP220,000 is better than nothing at all. Lucky for you, your Canadian health plan is free! Just read all of the clauses that's in fine print before purchasing any medical health plans in the Philippines! Just make sure to see if it meets all your needs at an affordable price! Take cake!

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I'm just curious as to how many retirees have medical health Insurance while residing in the Philippines! I'm pretty sure the majority of us have medical insurance from our home country and can be used internationally on a reimbursement basis. But there are a few that don't have any kind of health insurance coverage due to the expensive monthly premiums as we get older and because they just pay in cash as needed from their nest egg or investments! And also, there are cases where some insurance companies have canceled people's policies for some reason and can no longer get health coverage due to a previous or present existing medical condition. Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? A word to the wise, read the reimbursement policy before purchasing ins coverage in the Philippines if you have other forms of health coverage elsewhere! Most Philippines health care companies will ask you if you have other health insurance coverage elsewhere and if you do, they have precedence where you have to send your claims to them first before the Philippine health ins company will pay for the difference! So in other words, you pay more premiums to for your ins here and get less back in return since your other policy picked up the tab in the beginning of your claim! I hope you all understood what I just mentioned! It happens! I'll stop here for now and continue this subject again later with more info! But give me your opinions or feed backs on this subject matter! Thanks for reading my topic! I believe it's an important subject to all residing in a 3rd world country!
I'm on the verge of signing up with Blue Cross here. It is the only viable options I have found. I am waiting for the completion of their investigation of our (family of 3) prevous coverage and pre-existing conditions to determine what they will in fact cover and as you indicated, whether I have to wait the one year. I have boderline cases of of high blood pressure and high cholesterol. They are not seriously high but right on the line between normal and high so I was receiving the lowest doses of two meds. I still have US insurance which I will maintain until the local policy is in force. The cost of insurance is 1/3 the cost of US and covers me for unlimited maximum 90 day visits to the US. I've received positive reports from current Blue Cross subscribers. I must maintain continuous coverage to ensure I can return to my US options and utlize health savings accounts. I'm concerned about changes that might happen as you indicated they might --- I've not heard that from current subscribers I've talked to.Thanks for your contributions here.

miker99
Posted
Posted
Sip, I'm in Canada also and I was under the impression you need to reside in Canada for 6 months each year to keep your medical active. It would be great if our medical here would cover for more than 6 months away.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Sip, I'm in Canada also and I was under the impression you need to reside in Canada for 6 months each year to keep your medical active. It would be great if our medical here would cover for more than 6 months away.
I looked it up on the site and you can be out of the country for 7 months

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? A word to the wise, read the reimbursement policy before purchasing ins coverage in the Philippines if you have other forms of health coverage elsewhere!
After nearly 3 weeks of information exchanges with Blue Cross which I provided certified proof of continuous and current coverage from my current insurer Cigna I also provided them the results of all my recent physical exams including those recently obtained to get my SRRV visa. They included Xrays, full blood work, EGK, Urine, all vitals, etc. They then wanted to see my claims history. The Medical insurers in the US do not provide this kind of information to others -- part of HIPPA regulations and thought it was extremely odd that another insurer would be asking for this information. In the interest of getting insured here within my one month goal - end of February, I went to the Cigna web site and generated and provided a report of claims in the last two years (all that Cigna makes available). The report does not give the detail of any procedure but the cost of the claim and the specific general area. They then questioned certain claims ALL of which I explained were me taking preventive and required medical tests to obtain my visa (e.g. xrays, EGK, etc.). Not due to any illness. The largest expense was for a dreaded Colonoscopy that I wanted to complete before coming here. After providing that, they then asked me yesterday to get a stress test and an 2D echo test before they would approve my policy. All this at my expense. Fortunately I have a good doctor friend here that was able to prescribe the tests and I had them done today. This is far more than I ever expected. These tests are normally prescribed because of some problem and the folks in the lab seem to be bewildered that I did not have some condition driving me to take them.This validates the comments that Art has made. I have yet to see where this is going and whether the saga will continue. Interested to see if other members have had this experience with Blue Cross. I will have to read my policy carefully. I will keep you posted on where this goes. I envy the Canadians.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? A word to the wise, read the reimbursement policy before purchasing ins coverage in the Philippines if you have other forms of health coverage elsewhere!
After nearly 3 weeks of information exchanges with Blue Cross which I provided certified proof of continuous and current coverage from my current insurer Cigna I also provided them the results of all my recent physical exams including those recently obtained to get my SRRV visa. They included Xrays, full blood work, EGK, Urine, all vitals, etc. They then wanted to see my claims history. The Medical insurers in the US do not provide this kind of information to others -- part of HIPPA regulations and thought it was extremely odd that another insurer would be asking for this information. In the interest of getting insured here within my one month goal - end of February, I went to the Cigna web site and generated and provided a report of claims in the last two years (all that Cigna makes available). The report does not give the detail of any procedure but the cost of the claim and the specific general area. They then questioned certain claims ALL of which I explained were me taking preventive and required medical tests to obtain my visa (e.g. xrays, EGK, etc.). Not due to any illness. The largest expense was for a dreaded Colonoscopy that I wanted to complete before coming here. After providing that, they then asked me yesterday to get a stress test and an 2D echo test before they would approve my policy. All this at my expense. Fortunately I have a good doctor friend here that was able to prescribe the tests and I had them done today. This is far more than I ever expected. These tests are normally prescribed because of some problem and the folks in the lab seem to be bewildered that I did not have some condition driving me to take them.This validates the comments that Art has made. I have yet to see where this is going and whether the saga will continue. Interested to see if other members have had this experience with Blue Cross. I will have to read my policy carefully. I will keep you posted on where this goes. I envy the Canadians.
Art, Truly hit the nail on the head. With a diagnosis of borderline blood pressure under control -- taking the lowest form of diuretic, Blue Cross has informed me that they want to charge me a 20% additional premium on their rates to cover this " pre-existing condition". I find this outrageous. They may leave me no option but I have to explore other alternatives. I may just choose a lower plan options and cover the outpatient things myself. This is important so that my family does not get our resources drained or saddled with debt in the event of a major issue. I've seen lives destroyed and families driven to bankruptcy and poverty trying to cover things with their own resources. Does anyone know of other insurance providers and other options?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Art, Truly hit the nail on the head. With a diagnosis of borderline blood pressure under control -- taking the lowest form of diuretic, Blue Cross has informed me that they want to charge me a 20% additional premium on their rates to cover this " pre-existing condition". I find this outrageous. They may leave me no option but I have to explore other alternatives. I may just choose a lower plan options and cover the outpatient things myself. This is important so that my family does not get our resources drained or saddled with debt in the event of a major issue. I've seen lives destroyed and families driven to bankruptcy and poverty trying to cover things with their own resources. Does anyone know of other insurance providers and other options?
Didn't you also mentioned that once you got medical health insurance like Blue Cross, that you plan to cancel or terminate your U.S. Cigna Insurance? Doesn't Cigna cover you while you're in the Philippines where you can file reimbursment charges if you get hospitalized in the Philippines? Because if you decided to keep your Cigna insurance while having Blue Cross here in the Philippines, Blue Cross will still have you use your Cigna first for reimbursement payments before they will pay the difference on any medical cost acquired here in the Philippines. Blue Cross will say that, Cigna is what they will refer to as the "other insurance coverage" that has priority over any claims that you may have in the future if you retain Cigna as your other insurance coverage. Blue Cross has good insurance policies depending which coverage you chose, but the premium costs may be a little expensive as you reach the age of 65 and over! Blue Cross's insurance coverage at the age of 65 and over is the same cost or more of that in the U.S.! That's why most foreigners decline to purchase health care insurance in the Philippines and would just keep what they have in their home country to use for emergencies or use their nest egg to cover their medical cost. But when their financial resources have been depleted here in the Philippines, they are forced to return to their home country for free health care for the aged! Sometimes it's a real difficult choice to make if one is going to live in the Philippines for good because of this medical factor alone! That's what all of the poor people in the Philippines have to contend with! They just have to suffer and live with their ailments and just wait to die a slow death! It's sad , but it's true!