Swagman Hotel Manila

United Army
Posted
Posted

Me and my wife stayed at the Swagman Hotel in Manila the other day. We had an apt at the US Embassy. This hotel is just across the street from the Embassy, about a 5 min walk. The food at their restaurant was very, very good in my opinion, the room was ok and they have a shuttle to the airport. The shuttle was not available for us so they paid for a taxi to take us to the Manila airport at 1 AM in the morning. Don't ask the taxi driver to take you there to the Swagman Hotel, the ones we had did not know where it was, I found it easier just to say take us the the US Embassy, then just walk across the street to the hotel.

• 8 months later...
Married Kano
Posted
Posted

For those of us that live in or travel to the Philippines regularly know or know of the Swagman Hotel in Manila. By way of an update, as of the first of February 2011 the Swagman is under new ownership. Yep, Rod Hegerty finally sold out to devote his full attention to his growing boating supply business. The Swagman has for years been an icon of low cost rooms, fantastic food, and free airport service in Manila. My understanding and information that I get on almost daily is that with the new owners in place, the service and quality of food has gone down and the price of everything has gone up. Also there is no longer security at the front door to keep the trash on the street. My guess is that this once great place will not be open for long under this current new ownership. The bottom line here is-it might be better to stay elsewhere until it again changes owners and has good ownership and mangagement at the helm...

Me and my wife stayed at the Swagman Hotel in Manila the other day. We had an apt at the US Embassy. This hotel is just across the street from the Embassy, about a 5 min walk. The food at their restaurant was very, very good in my opinion, the room was ok and they have a shuttle to the airport. The shuttle was not available for us so they paid for a taxi to take us to the Manila airport at 1 AM in the morning. Don't ask the taxi driver to take you there to the Swagman Hotel, the ones we had did not know where it was, I found it easier just to say take us the the US Embassy, then just walk across the street to the hotel.

United Army
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info, this is good to know.

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

I'm really glad to hear that. The reports I've been geting are about two to three weeks old-so sounds like they (the new owners) might be learning. Sometimes I miss that place. Rod, the old owner had my wife working there for a few days in the accounting department rather than at Swagman Angeles where she usually worked. That was back in 1996. She (my wife) and I first met inside the elevator of the Swag there in Manila. We dated a long time and seven years we were married. So you see, that hotel holds my most precious memories. Thanks for the information and updateGene

• Like 1