Getting A Itin From The Irs

United Army
Posted
Posted

I got my wife a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) from the IRS. Now I can claim my wife on my Federal and State taxes. All the info you need to do this is on the web just Google Form W-7 or ITNI. I had to fill out the W-7 Form and the biggest problem I had was getting the DFA in Cebu to certify a copy of my wife’s passport was a true copy. We went to the DAF in Cebu 3 times and they refused each time to certify a copy of my wife’s passport as a true copy…I also went to the American Consult at the Water Front Hotel in Cebu, they also refused but stated that the DAF in Cebu should be doing this. Well I ended up mailing her original Passport since as stated in the instruction no how to fill out that the W-7 “Have the copies certified by the issuing agency or official custodian of the original record.” All this is a bunch of non-sense….My sister who is a CPA and her husband also a CPA, he did my taxes for me this year and I mailed the W-7 and the required documents to him and he certified her passport and the IRS accepted it. What a waste of time for me and my wife to visit the DAF 3 times, and why was the IRS instructions not correct? Just non-sense!!!! I sent the W-7 forms via FedEx to Minnesota and then Stan, my sister’s husband mailed my tax forms and the W-7 to Austin Texas where they process the W-7.It took the IRS about a month to process.As for my wife’s daughter the IRS gave me a case reference number for her and they did not issue ITIN. In the letter they sent here is their reason for not issuing a ITIN yet… “the information you provided on your FormW-7, along with the supporting identification or exception documentation you submitted indicates that you have entered the U.S., yet you did not include a date of entry.”Well, this just stumped me, my wife and her daughter never entered the U.S. So I wrote a letter to the IRS in Austin, TX and here is a paragraph in my letter to them:“The phone numbers that you provided in your letter 1-800-908-9982 and 215-516-2000, were no help to me at all. All those numbers are to your IRS Philadelphia Office. This office could not view the W-7 Form for Princess Nicole or make comments that I called to answer your question. They also stated that your office does not take incoming phone calls. So I have to write a letter to you and I have to guess why you think Princess Nicole entered the U.S. This is no way to conduct business…..”So will see what happens now. 

No name
Posted
Posted
I got my wife a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) from the IRS. Now I can claim my wife on my Federal and State taxes. All the info you need to do this is on the web just Google Form W-7 or ITNI. I had to fill out the W-7 Form and the biggest problem I had was getting the DFA in Cebu to certify a copy of my wife’s passport was a true copy. We went to the DAF in Cebu 3 times and they refused each time to certify a copy of my wife’s passport as a true copy…I also went to the American Consult at the Water Front Hotel in Cebu, they also refused but stated that the DAF in Cebu should be doing this. Well I ended up mailing her original Passport since as stated in the instruction no how to fill out that the W-7 “Have the copies certified by the issuing agency or official custodian of the original record.” All this is a bunch of non-sense….My sister who is a CPA and her husband also a CPA, he did my taxes for me this year and I mailed the W-7 and the required documents to him and he certified her passport and the IRS accepted it. What a waste of time for me and my wife to visit the DAF 3 times, and why was the IRS instructions not correct? Just non-sense!!!! I sent the W-7 forms via FedEx to Minnesota and then Stan, my sister’s husband mailed my tax forms and the W-7 to Austin Texas where they process the W-7.It took the IRS about a month to process.As for my wife’s daughter the IRS gave me a case reference number for her and they did not issue ITIN. In the letter they sent here is their reason for not issuing a ITIN yet… “the information you provided on your FormW-7, along with the supporting identification or exception documentation you submitted indicates that you have entered the U.S., yet you did not include a date of entry.”Well, this just stumped me, my wife and her daughter never entered the U.S. So I wrote a letter to the IRS in Austin, TX and here is a paragraph in my letter to them:“The phone numbers that you provided in your letter 1-800-908-9982 and 215-516-2000, were no help to me at all. All those numbers are to your IRS Philadelphia Office. This office could not view the W-7 Form for Princess Nicole or make comments that I called to answer your question. They also stated that your office does not take incoming phone calls. So I have to write a letter to you and I have to guess why you think Princess Nicole entered the U.S. This is no way to conduct business…..”So will see what happens now. 
You can't legally claim a dependent that is not a relative and that does not live in the USA. At least that was what I learned when i read up on it. If you find I read wrong, I'd love to hear more. Oh wait, you said wife, not girlfriend. You are related to her. That's the difference as to why they issued it for her and not your step daughter.

United Army
Posted
Posted
You can't legally claim a dependent that is not a relative and that does not live in the USA. At least that was what I learned when i read up on it. If you find I read wrong, I'd love to hear more. Oh wait, you said wife, not girlfriend. You are related to her. That's the difference as to why they issued it for her and not your step daughter.
You may be right, I will see what the IRS does...thanks for the info.

No name
Posted
Posted
The reason the answer didn't make since is because the IRS started going to standard canned answers in the mid 80's. I know cause I was there when they started doing it. The whole world of customer service is doing it these days. That's why answers don't make sense and if you try to get more explanation, its next to impossible because someone is afraid they will say the wrong thing and then they get yelled at for trying to go the extra mile. This fear pretty much governs 90% of what an IRS CRS is going to say or do.Giving you a number that can't help you.. That's the kind of thing the IRS has been trying to fix since the 80's. It really shouldn't be that hard. They all have phones on their desk just give out the freaking number of the person that actually handled the issue. Problem is, the people handling those request are new people, probably wont be working there very long, hired on a temporary basis in most cases. Sounds like nothing much has changed.I really don't understand though, in the office I worked at, we had started a system where documents that came into the office were being scanned and added to a system that everyone could access You know, I'm going to guess that congressional watchdogs came in and shut that down. There had been a lot of problems in t he past with employess accessing records that they had no business accessing. They didn't usually do anything with it but when Elvis died about a 500,000 employees had a need to know basis to look up his income tax history. Yeah right. :)Yeah that's coming clear to me know, so in order to protect the public, the IRS can't help you.The American system needs some good old Filipino common sense infused into it in a major way. Not that they don't play politics too, gawd do they.

United Army
Posted
Posted
The reason the answer didn't make since is because the IRS started going to standard canned answers in the mid 80's. I know cause I was there when they started doing it. The whole world of customer service is doing it these days. That's why answers don't make sense and if you try to get more explanation, its next to impossible because someone is afraid they will say the wrong thing and then they get yelled at for trying to go the extra mile. This fear pretty much governs 90% of what an IRS CRS is going to say or do.Giving you a number that can't help you.. That's the kind of thing the IRS has been trying to fix since the 80's. It really shouldn't be that hard. They all have phones on their desk just give out the freaking number of the person that actually handled the issue. Problem is, the people handling those request are new people, probably wont be working there very long, hired on a temporary basis in most cases. Sounds like nothing much has changed.I really don't understand though, in the office I worked at, we had started a system where documents that came into the office were being scanned and added to a system that everyone could access You know, I'm going to guess that congressional watchdogs came in and shut that down. There had been a lot of problems in t he past with employess accessing records that they had no business accessing. They didn't usually do anything with it but when Elvis died about a 500,000 employees had a need to know basis to look up his income tax history. Yeah right. smile.gifYeah that's coming clear to me know, so in order to protect the public, the IRS can't help you.The American system needs some good old Filipino common sense infused into it in a major way. Not that they don't play politics too, gawd do they.
Canned answers....that is just great. Yes, just a phone call and I would have a clear answer from the IRS, but no.

No name
Posted
Posted
Canned answers....that is just great. Yes, just a phone call and I would have a clear answer from the IRS, but no.
You'll get no argument from me regarding canned answers, I hate getting them.As a worker though, they are great. They keep you out of trouble and the IRS manages via exception. Find a fire and smash the person that caused it into little pieces. :AddEmoticons04230: Well, unless they are your friend.... Probably not all the different from the private sector too though.

• 4 weeks later...
United Army
Posted
Posted
You'll get no argument from me regarding canned answers, I hate getting them.As a worker though, they are great. They keep you out of trouble and the IRS manages via exception. Find a fire and smash the person that caused it into little pieces. smile.gif Well, unless they are your friend.... Probably not all the different from the private sector too though.
I just talked to my sister and she received a letter from the IRS in Austin Texas, they rejected my request for a ITIN for my step daughter. Their reason was vague, when I get the letter I will post it.