Omg! Fired Another Housekeeper!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

We just fired our present housekeeper just a few days before Christmas, she pissed off the wife and out she went and I concurred as to the reason why, which I won't go into! She only has been with us for 3 months! We've been retired here in the Philippines for 12 yrs now and can't seem to find and retain a good housekeeper! The longest we ever a had a good housekeeper was 3 yrs, then after that it has been half a dozen or more only lasting 6 months for a lot of different reasons, you name it! We pay P3,000 a month on the average and their job is just sweeping, mopping and cleaning, no washing or cooking, just 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday only, we treat our maids fairly and P3,000 a month is more than fair wages for a housekeeper and we have a small house to clean! We don't want a live-in maid, we like our privacy, it's just me and my wife living in our home! No live-in relatives thank you, been there, done that long ago! I believe it's just a hit and miss kind of thing where one can find and retain a good housekeeper and I guess it's not yet our time! No, we won't bother going to an agency just to find a housekeeper! We don't really have any problems in replacing our maids that we fire, it's just finding or getting the right one who knows what they are doing is the hard part and they not having too many excuses for being absent when they only work for us 3 times a week! I can't count anymore the number of housekeepers we've gone through in 12 years! Oh well, wish us luck with our next housekeeper we find, which we already have and will be starting after the holidays!

Jake
Posted
Posted

Yeah, we went through the same chit also. We even tried a couple of Judy's cousins (adult males) to be ourmaid, cook, driver and sometimes body guards. They turn out to be the most reliable but in the end, I valuedmy privacy just like you Art. I want to be able to scratch, sniff and fart in my most spontaneous moments.Thank god, they have moved on with family of their own. I get no respect sometimes -- Jake

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
We just fired our present housekeeper just a few days before Christmas, she pissed off the wife and out she went and I concurred as to the reason why, which I won't go into! She only has been with us for 3 months! We've been retired here in the Philippines for 12 yrs now and can't seem to find and retain a good housekeeper! The longest we ever a had a good housekeeper was 3 yrs, then after that it has been half a dozen or more only lasting 6 months for a lot of different reasons, you name it! We pay P3,000 a month on the average and their job is just sweeping, mopping and cleaning, no washing or cooking, just 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday only, we treat our maids fairly and P3,000 a month is more than fair wages for a housekeeper and we have a small house to clean! We don't want a live-in maid, we like our privacy, it's just me and my wife living in our home! No live-in relatives thank you, been there, done that long ago! I believe it's just a hit and miss kind of thing where one can find and retain a good housekeeper and I guess it's not yet our time! No, we won't bother going to an agency just to find a housekeeper! We don't really have any problems in replacing our maids that we fire, it's just finding or getting the right one who knows what they are doing is the hard part and they not having too many excuses for being absent when they only work for us 3 times a week! I can't count anymore the number of housekeepers we've gone through in 12 years! Oh well, wish us luck with our next housekeeper we find, which we already have and will be starting after the holidays!
Dont mean to sound negative or judgmental but why do you need a maid, 2 people living in a small house as you said,no cooking or washing done by the maid.Seems to me it would be less of a headache to do it your self.Having said that, where will I send my resume? biggrin.gif

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
We just fired our present housekeeper just a few days before Christmas
Don't mean to sound negative or judgmental but why do you need a maid, 2 people living in a small house as you said, no cooking or washing done by the maid.Seems to me it would be less of a headache to do it your self.Having said that, where will I send my resume? biggrin.gif
It's because that we're now retired and can afford a housekeeper. Our home isn't that small! It still gets dusty on the exterior of our home due to the gusty wind in our area and debris gets scattered all over the place on a daily basis, my wife or I won't go outside and sweep up all that mess in the heat! It's really no headache having a maid, but it's much more of a headache without one! At least we have a gopher every other day to get things for us at our nearby store or fast food take out joints whenever we don't want to cook or get out of the house! Such a small price to pay for convenience and plus the fact, my wife deserves a break too once in a while and plus the fact that I myself don't sweep, mop or wax floors, clean windows, wash dirty dishes, pots and pans or clean toilets unless we really have to which is rare, that's the housekeeper's job! Yes, send your resume, but you have to ware a housekeeper's outfit to show off the xmas_girl.gif! mocking.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted

Besides your resume, Art would like 8x10 glossies of applicant and then will be subject to a full body scan and cavity checks. Hey Art, I have fresh batteries for your "wand".Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Art, interesting to read because we have never had a maid either in the US or while we are living in our condo in Cebu but I have reconsidered and think I will hire someone to clean once a week and to do the wash and I was trying to figure out what a fair price would be for a days wages and your post just gave me some more insight into what the going rate may be.One of the things I thought about was to pay a fair wage weekly and then give a small bonus monthly when my wife and I were happy with the months work, and while I do not know what problems you have had with maids, I wonder if a monthly reward might give them something to look forward to and to work towards. 89.gif What do you and others think about that idea? Would it work?

Jake
Posted
Posted

From my experience, definitely must have basic English language skills so that she can understand the following rules:(and also that she will be able to communicate any problems to you)No visitors (boyfriend, husband, relatives) without express permission from you and NilaNo personal cell phonesFully understands her duties, responsibilities, work scheduleFully understands your proposed monthly reward -- maybe bus trip and extra cash back to her provinceFully understands your privacy, strictly no Tsismis (gossip) You may have to go through half a dozen prospectives to find the right one. And of course your wife, your two nieceswill assist you in selection and supervision.Good luck -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

As I mentioned, it truly is a hit and miss kind of thing in finding a good housekeeper who will want to stay for the long term of their employment! Jakes list of suggestions is sound advice and understanblity correct in the screening process! Employers just will never know what the mouse will do while the cat is away! Our reasons for firing our maids varies! Here's a few examples: 1). They think they know better than you how you want your home to be cleaned. 2). Constantly answering their cellphone when you're not looking. 3). Never putting things back when moved! 4). Excessive use of cleaning products, when just a little goes a long way. 5). When they say that they're done cleaning and you find that there's still dust and dirt in the corners and behind the furniture! 6). Always texting us the last minute wanting to change her work schedule because something has come up! She was only working a 3 day work week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday for P3,000 a month! 7). Things come up missing or broken, but not a single word from their lips! 8). When you show them too much kindness and attention, they take advantage of you thinking that we are a bunch of push overs! OMG, it's endless! #6 was the main reason why we canned her ass! They should learn never to bite the hand that feeds them! Now she wants to come back! We said, "no way"!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

When we(me.my partner ) had a yaya for our child.We used a WRITTEN List of what to be done ,what to do,when to do it. 1%20%28103%29.gif It helped some . As you posted one excuse or another, does any one else have thoughts or suggestions of how to find a ABOVE average house keeper or yaya?sorry but I dont need any 8x10 photos. :)

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifWe have another new live-out maid, she only lasted a few days and decided to suddenly quit because I hurt her feelings because of a comment I made about putting things back where they originally were! Well, after some consideration on her part, she returned and is still here with us now going on 3 months! Where is she going to find a house keeper's job where she doesn't cook, wash cloths by hand or do the ironing, that pays P3,000 a month for only 3 and a half days of work a week on a monthly basis, 7 am to 5 pm per day?th_thholysheep.gif Again!