How Do People On Medicare Who Live In The Phl Deal With Medical Issues

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

BTW, for the old timers that are collecting social security from the states, how do get medical living in the RP with medicare, knowing it only covers US doctors and services?
Inspector brought up a valid point in another thread, so we can expand on it here.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

with lots of cash locally.or fly to guam or hawaii, i dont think medicare is available outside the usa.im on ssdi. and will be losing my medical when i leave the usa. so will be putting away a cash fund just for that. hell im 55 and been shot down once, survived a ventricular ceptal defect, adouble bypass heart surgery, and now a paraplegic. and can still ride my motorcycle with sidecar, so im not too worried about it. been there done that.... tanks ej.

post-1250-0-05366900-1301467635_thumb.jp

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yup, no U.S. Medicare in the Philippines unless you are one of the few in selected areas of Southern California who has the Medicare Advantage Plan that can be use in Medical City in Manila only and live in S. Calif 6 months and 1 day out of the year, which I explain in another post about Medicare in the Philippines! If not, just save your pennies for those unexpected upfront "cash only" medical bills or else, fly to Guam or Hawaii!

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i dont know what treatment you could get in Guam, thru the actions of a senator in Guam patients needing care instead of flying to Hawaii they can use services in the Phillipines, as it is close, i signed a petition a while back to allow Americans on Medicare to use it in the Phillipines, we will see, also the new healthcare bill has a payment provision for offshore

• 3 months later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Honolulu serves as the medical center for the remaining Pacific territories including Guam, Saipan and American Samoa. The government of Guam requested and received permission from the federal government to use accedited hospitals in Manila as an option. Manila is closer and cheaper. The hot topics for the 2012 presidential election include Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Under consideration is the possibility that Medicare will be portable similar to the Japanese healthcare system. The American Medical Association and hospitals are going to fight, claiming potential fraud in reimbursements. This is as if there is no medical fraud at the present time. If passed, it will be a 80/20 co-payment system for Medicare A. Forget Medicare B, C & D unless you intend to return to the United States someday. For American retirees in the Philippines, you will pay 20% and Medicare will pay 80% for hospitalization. Please note this is just a proposal. Aloha - JJR

Travis
Posted
Posted
Honolulu serves as the medical center for the remaining Pacific territories including Guam, Saipan and American Samoa. The government of Guam requested and received permission from the federal government to use accedited hospitals in Manila as an option. Manila is closer and cheaper. The hot topics for the 2012 presidential election include Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Under consideration is the possibility that Medicare will be portable similar to the Japanese healthcare system. The American Medical Association and hospitals are going to fight, claiming potential fraud in reimbursements. This is as if there is no medical fraud at the present time. If passed, it will be a 80/20 co-payment system for Medicare A. Forget Medicare B, C & D unless you intend to return to the United States someday. For American retirees in the Philippines, you will pay 20% and Medicare will pay 80% for hospitalization. Please note this is just a proposal. Aloha - JJR
more good information thank you & welcome

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Great information....you would think that with the costs being so much cheaper in third world countries, well...anywhere but the USA, they would allow for it.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
(slighty edited). This is as if there is no medical fraud at the present time. If passed, it will be a 80/20 co-payment system for Medicare A. Forget Medicare B, C & D unless you intend to return to the United States someday. For American retirees in the Philippines, you will pay 20% and Medicare will pay 80% for hospitalization. Please note this is just a proposal. Aloha - JJR
As stated NO MEDICAL FRAUD at the present time. under medicare . However I have read several articles here & in US newspapers That under "TRICARE" their was Much Fraud, would any members who have "Tricare" and used it here in RP share their experiences. Any "fraud"knowledge on your behalfFor those who have certain medical/health issues . its best to either "save up" your money for a possible hospital expense .OR 1. obtain PHILHEALTH (the local government insurance at 100 pesos a month... THATS RIGHT.open to NON-CITIZENS)2. inquire on Blue Cross which is available . or other health insurance provider here in RPwww.philhealth.gov.ph

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
(slighty edited). This is as if there is no medical fraud at the present time. If passed, it will be a 80/20 co-payment system for Medicare A. Forget Medicare B, C & D unless you intend to return to the United States someday. For American retirees in the Philippines, you will pay 20% and Medicare will pay 80% for hospitalization. Please note this is just a proposal. Aloha - JJR
As stated NO MEDICAL FRAUD at the present time. under medicare . However I have read several articles here & in US newspapers That under "TRICARE" their was Much Fraud, would any members who have "Tricare" and used it here in RP share their experiences. Any "fraud"knowledge on your behalfFor those who have certain medical/health issues . its best to either "save up" your money for a possible hospital expense .OR 1. obtain PHILHEALTH (the local government insurance at 100 pesos a month... THATS RIGHT.open to NON-CITIZENS)2. inquire on Blue Cross which is available . or other health insurance provider here in RPwww.philhealth.gov.ph
If you have a Facebook account, check out "TRICARE Wall of Shame". There you will read all the comments from military retirees living in the Philippines! Many call it TRI(don't)CARE!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
If you have a Facebook account, check out "TRICARE Wall of Shame". There you will read all the comments from military retirees living in the Philippines! Many call it TRI(don't)CARE!
Thank you Art2ro for the info, i knew i could count on you . :unsure: