Exchange Rate

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Not bad for us Aussies at the moment.1.00 AUD = 46.3693 PHP

Bundy
Posted
Posted

In 25 years i can't remember it ever being so high. Let's hope it lasts.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Canada is good too at 44.5 when I exchanged yesterday. Maybe one day we'll be as good as you Aussies. Too bad about the Yanks though. That Obama guy seems to be printing the stuff and driving down its value.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Canada is good too at 44.5 when I exchanged yesterday. Maybe one day we'll be as good as you Aussies. Too bad about the Yanks though. That Obama guy seems to be printing the stuff and driving down its value.
Canadian banks are wisely regulated thus Canada has done well during the “bubble”. Too bad the States are unable to learn from that.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
In 25 years i can't remember it ever being so high. Let's hope it lasts.
It has never been this high. But remember this, it was 30 only 3 years ago and just as easily could be 30 again within the next 3 years. It was only 18 in 1994 on my first trip.My personal belief is that the rate would not be this high with a Liberal government, as a high exchange rate is bad for the Australian economy.So, I will not be relying on the rate to stay this high when working out future plans.Regards; Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I've noticed that there is always a comparison of the Philippines currency exchange rates between those of UK, Australia, Canada and the U.S., but I haven't yet read anywhere what the national average is in one's country what their monthly pensions are by comparison in dollars and cents and never mind what the formula was to achieve the monthly amount! I don't expect anyone to answer what their monthly incomes are, because that's one's private business and where as most Filipinos too are shy to say what their monthly income amount in a conversation with a person they don't know! Long ago I over heard a conversation between a Brit and American comparing monthly pensions, with the same criteria in working backgrounds and length of service. It was about equal some what because of the value of one's home currency for example the Brit made 700 pounds a month, while the American made 1,400 USD a month and when they exchanged their perspective currency into Pesos, it just about came out to the same amount, but I'm sure that is not always the case for other country's monthly pension schemes, which may be a lot less than the U.S., Canada, UK and other European countries! So what I'm getting at, is that conversion rates are relative to one's country's currency value and some countries have better pension schemes than others and some saved their money privately through savings and other investments, where as most relied on their employment from their perspective Governments, regions and States!

• Like 1

Braddo
Posted
Posted

We have decided to extend our house over there while the dollar is high I dont think it will last much longer at this rate so may as well get the benifts while we can

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I've noticed that there is always a comparison of the Philippines currency exchange rates between those of UK, Australia, Canada and the U.S., but I haven't yet read anywhere what the national average is in one's country what their monthly pensions are by comparison in dollars and cents and never mind what the formula was to achieve the monthly amount! I don't expect anyone to answer what their monthly incomes are, because that's one's private business and where as most Filipinos too are shy to say what their monthly income amount in a conversation with a person they don't know! Long ago I over heard a conversation between a Brit and American comparing monthly pensions, with the same criteria in working backgrounds and length of service. It was about equal some what because of the value of one's home currency for example the Brit made 700 pounds a month, while the American made 1,400 USD a month and when they exchanged their perspective currency into Pesos, it just about came out to the same amount, but I'm sure that is not always the case for other country's monthly pension schemes, which may be a lot less than the U.S., Canada, UK and other European countries! So what I'm getting at, is that conversion rates are relative to one's country's currency value and some countries have better pension schemes than others and some saved their money privately through savings and other investments, where as most relied on their employment from their perspective Governments, regions and States!
Cant answer any of the above as I still work so its my little savings that the exchange rate makes a difference to.

• 6 months later...
Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Two things that I notice when people talk of exchange rates. 1 If it's lower than their first trip or recent trips then it must go back up again..... says who? 2 Their own currecny is always seen as a safe haven......with the rate that Western governments are printing money do you really think so? PS I'm in Euros at the moment and I'd dearly love to know which would be the safest currency to invest my pension pot.

Edited by Curley

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Two things that I notice when people talk of exchange rates. 1 If it's lower than their first trip or recent trips then it must go back up again..... says who? 2 Their own currecny is always seen as a safe haven......with the rate that Western governments are printing money do you really think so? PS I'm in Euros at the moment and I'd dearly love to know which would be the safest currency to invest my pension pot.
I find your first point interesting because, in the late 60s I used to get over 4 DM (German currency) for my CDN $ and when it went below 4 I always thought it would come back up again. It never did. By the time Germany converted to the Euro, it seems to me the DM was getting close to par with the CDN $. I had the same experience with French currency and Mexican currency. The british pound was one bright spot. Back in the 60s we had to pay almost $4 Cdn for a british pound at one point. Since then it has been getting cheaper and cheaper and . . you are absolutely right, we should fully expect the value of the peso to improve as the country improves. For your second point, CDN$ are not seen by anyone as a safe haven, least of all Canadians.
  • Like 1