Questions for Steve & Myrlita

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Steve, you look like you are from Bensonhurst Brooklyn... :mocking:

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Since my ex lives in the US and I live here in Bacolod, there is nothing she can due to me after our divorce of over 20 years.Here's my pic....post-1666-0-49763700-1312244121_thumb.jp
Hi Steve, I spent 4 days in Bacolod recently and thought it was a nice little place but I did not really find anything much to do. The SM Mall got old fast and I found it very hard to converse with the local people, they are not used to speaking English, I think, and seemed very shy as well but friendly. I was happy to get back to Cebu. Are you happy there and I would like to hear your thoughts on living there. Slightly o/t I know.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Steve, you look like you are from Bensonhurst Brooklyn... :867:
Actually, I'm from MA. God Bless....Steve

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Since my ex lives in the US and I live here in Bacolod, there is nothing she can due to me after our divorce of over 20 years.Here's my pic....post-1666-0-49763700-1312244121_thumb.jp
Hi Steve, I spent 4 days in Bacolod recently and thought it was a nice little place but I did not really find anything much to do. The SM Mall got old fast and I found it very hard to converse with the local people, they are not used to speaking English, I think, and seemed very shy as well but friendly. I was happy to get back to Cebu. Are you happy there and I would like to hear your thoughts on living there. Slightly o/t I know.
I'm here because Myrlita & her family are here. I got used to being here myself even though I've seen Dumaguete & Cebu as well as Manila. Cost wise, Both Negros & Cebu are similar in costs but I found Bacolod people much friendlier than Cebu City locals (No offense). Yes English is less here because Ilonggo is their primary language with Tagalog 2nd only because it is required in schools leaving English as the 3rd. They don't consider English that important here which is very sad because it will leave them behind in the Global Markets. God Bless....
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Steve in a previous post, tyou had said that you had taught at a local school & had tried to instill or help the students do some "new way" or thinking.(thinking outside the box?)

I couldnt find the exact post/or what you posted.

You said the school disliked what you did?

could you enlighten us on what you did and the schools response more indepth. thanks

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Steve in a previous post, you had said that you had taught at a local school & had tried to instill or help the students do some "new way" of thinking.(Thinking outside the box?)

I couldnt find the exact post/or what you posted.

You said the school disliked what you did?

Could you enlighten us on what you did and the schools response more indepth? Thanks

I'll try my best. During my time at the school, I noticed a severe lack of basic analytical skills or the simple ability to diagnose a situation and then, if necessary, act upon it. As I was teaching them basic computer hardware skills, towards the end, I noticed that they memorized almost verbatim what was said and what the procedure called for. Then, if I varied the situation even slightly, they were totally lost. They were unable to reassess the situation and adjust their course of action. Why is that? I found that the regular school systems here teach them to memorize only and not to ask questions. They were taught to never question the teacher if they did not understand or disagree. They can't tell you why something works the way it does or why something is done a certain way. They are taught to blindly obey and do not question. I then took these kids and spent two whole days trying to teach them how to analyze different scenereos and how to approach them. Whether or not it sank in remains to be seen. The school however, did not appreciate my efforts. They felt that one, doing this was disrespecting them and their culture and questioning they way "They" do things here and 2nd, that they didn't want this coming out of the mouth of a foreigner thus Filipino Pride. Their response was to put a reprimand in my file. This was SY 2010-2011. I did not return for 11-12. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I noticed a severe lack of basic analytical skills or the simple ability to diagnose a situation and then, if necessary, act upon it.

could you share w/me(and the forum) of how we can help our "extended"family and our children to "use or have " basic analytical skills?