He / She / It

paul
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just read a post by tom (Boss Man), regarding his wife's use of "He" and "She". Here is his quoted text:

The one thing that gets mixed up the most is the His-Her word for my wife
The reason Filipinos do this is, there is no masculine and feminine in their language. That is, if I am talking about a person (male or female), or even an object, I would use the word "Siya". An example is, "Buang siya." Or, it could be stated, "Buang s'ya." He/She/It is crazy. But, someone walking up to me, while I am stating this to another person, would not know who, or what, I was talking about, until I mentioned the person by name, or pointed at them. So, Filipinos simply use the closest word that comes to mind at the time, when they make statements. Thus, the confusion between "He" and "She" is there.HTH Edited by Paul

• 1 month later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Yes. I see this a lot too. I usually just let it go on by unless it confuses the issue.

til
Posted
Posted

Yes they all do that I think. In the beginning it always got me confused, then after i while I hardly noticed it anymore. My gf is trying hard to get it right and she's doing quite good now.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

I've been listening to it so long (44yrs) that I now make the same mistake as much as my wife...I guess you could say we are blending in together..hehejim

Mik
Posted
Posted

When I read the topic was titled "He/She/It" I thought it was going to be about how to address a bayot. :SugarwareZ-037: (Apologies to any bayot reading this.)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
When I read the topic was titled "He/She/It" I thought it was going to be about how to address a bayot. :1 (235): (Apologies to any bayot reading this.)
:SugarwareZ-037: So how do you address or is that dress a bayot?

On-in-2
Posted
Posted
I just read a post by tom (Boss Man), regarding his wife's use of "He" and "She". Here is his quoted text:
The reason Filipinos do this is, there is no masculine and feminine in their language. That is, if I am talking about a person (male or female), or even an object, I would use the word "Siya". An example is, "Buang siya." Or, it could be stated, "Buang s'ya." He/She/It is crazy. But, someone walking up to me, while I am stating this to another person, would not know who, or what, I was talking about, until I mentioned the person by name, or pointed at them. So, Filipinos simply use the closest word that comes to mind at the time, when they make statements. Thus, the confusion between "He" and "She" is there.HTH
Another one that I notice often getting confused is the meanings of "To" and "From". My girlfriend is always saying things like... "I borrow to Geraldine 500p" when she really means that she borrowed _from_ 500p.Anybody else notice this?Pete
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The reason Filipinos do this is, there is no masculine and feminine in their language. That is, if I am talking about a person (male or female), or even an object, I would use the word "Siya". An example is, "Buang siya." Or, it could be stated, "Buang s'ya." He/She/It is crazy. But, someone walking up to me, while I am stating this to another person, would not know who, or what, I was talking about, until I mentioned the person by name, or pointed at them. So, Filipinos simply use the closest word that comes to mind at the time, when they make statements. Thus, the confusion between "He" and "She" is there.HTH
Another one that I notice often getting confused is the meanings of "To" and "From". My girlfriend is always saying things like... "I borrow to Geraldine 500p" when she really means that she borrowed _from_ 500p.Anybody else notice this?Pete
Yep, thats another one I forgot :36_1_50[1]:

AngelofBroden
Posted
Posted

Guilty3_12_31[1].gifEven now I still interchange he and she sometimes :36_1_50[1]: but only when I speak though. Surprisingly, I didn't have to edit my writing for that mistake, hahah!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yea, I was disapointed too. ;^)

When I read the topic was titled "He/She/It" I thought it was going to be about how to address a bayot. :36_1_50[1]: (Apologies to any bayot reading this.)