Entering The Philippines

Genius
Posted
Posted

when I arrived on 17 the August, I got an extension on arrival at naia. they let me past immigration twice. Once to visit ATM and onve to pick bag up. think it was 2750. took ages about 1 hour plus plus. let me sit in the officer break room. very friendly. worth doing. 59 days.

robert k
Posted
Posted

You can always get Philippines pesos at your bank. Sometimes takes a couple days , just remember you can only bring 10k or less peso INTO the country without prior permission from the Philippines government.. but the banks exchange rates over the counter aren't all that favorable usually .. maybe just get 4k or so if you want to pay your first extension at the airport.

You are absolutely right about the exchange rate at my bank, it was abysmal at 37.65 php to the dollar. I wonder what the ATM machines are giving in the Philippines?

I am going to spend a lot of time in a rural area and I was wondering how I was going to be drawing money to pay for my trip? One thought I had was to Western Union the bulk of my expense money for the trip to be picked up near my destination. I hate to draw it all at once but ATM's are probably few and far between.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am going to spend a lot of time in a rural area and I was wondering how I was going to be drawing money to pay for my trip

If the area is rural enough there is a good chance that will encounter a place with either NO ATM or an ATM that is not compatible with your network.  Many small towns have places to pick up Western Union transfers so that may be an alternative unless the amount is too large and they have 'no stock' of money for an amount that big.

On the bright side, in rural areas with towns that small there is nowhere to spend money so you will need almost none.  As you will likely have to travel to the nearest big town to get food you can eat then that is where you will find an ATM.  Just be sure your bank knows you will be using your ATM card here or they may put a block on it to prevent fraud (which means it will be useless to you or anybody else until you get home and go into the branch to remove the block).  How do I know stuff like that?  Been there done that!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am going to spend a lot of time in a rural area and I was wondering how I was going to be drawing money to pay for my trip

If the area is rural enough there is a good chance that will encounter a place with either NO ATM or an ATM that is not compatible with your network.  Many small towns have places to pick up Western Union transfers so that may be an alternative unless the amount is too large and they have 'no stock' of money for an amount that big.

On the bright side, in rural areas with towns that small there is nowhere to spend money so you will need almost none.  As you will likely have to travel to the nearest big town to get food you can eat then that is where you will find an ATM.  Just be sure your bank knows you will be using your ATM card here or they may put a block on it to prevent fraud (which means it will be useless to you or anybody else until you get home and go into the branch to remove the block).  How do I know stuff like that?  Been there done that!

Thanks Dave for confirming my suspicions. I could get someone to wire me money as needed so I wont have to carry a lot of money with me except if I actually buy a car. I was thinking I might buy a car and leave it with my girl for about the same cost as renting one for about 40 days (not expecting a great car at that price), if I can find one that is registered so I could drive while working on new registration. :)  

Already got squared away with the bank :thumbsup: .

Edited by robert k

• 2 weeks later...
ABCDiamond
Posted
Posted
Just be sure your bank knows you will be using your ATM card here or they may put a block on it to prevent fraud (which means it will be useless to you or anybody else until you get home and go into the branch to remove the block).  

Some banks will remove the block over the phone.  HSBC UK did for me once.  But that may not apply to all HSBC banks, I have a string feeling that HSBC Australia wouldn't.  I had to return to Australia to fix up my blocked account with HSBC AU, after major problems.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Banks notoriously expensive before you go.  Western union is giving 40/AUD, Bank of QLD 35/AUD.  12.5% over a couple of thousand dollars is a lot especially given the official rate is 40.6.. WU must operate on turnover rather than margin. 

Figures correct at time of posting. 

Short angry one and I use direct to bank transfers through WU back an forth (lot of that lately given her brother's recent bout of pneumonia and my daughter's relapse) and found them to be the very timely and the cheapest by far.  That's from an Aust bank to BPI and vice versa , not sure how efficient the smaller operators in PI would be.

Edited by BrettGC

ABCDiamond
Posted
Posted

Do NOT consider Travelex at Brisbane Airport !!

Travelex gave me 34.77 php to the AUD on leaving Brisbane

On arrival in Manila, (within 24 hours) I got 41.53 at the PNP Bank ATM  (after all charges)

But what was worse with Travelex, is that I only wanted 8,000 pesos, but they advised me to take 12,000 php as it was more cost effective.

So I entered the Phillipines with more pesos than I was legally permitted to do (ie: the 10,000 limit).

An example of varying rates last year;

6th August 2012

40.75 Bank ATM (Philippines)

42.38 Hotel on leaving (Balance)

42.65 Hotel on arriving (Deposit)

I would do something more recent, but that date is the only one I have with multiple purchases on the same day, using a $ account.

• Like 1