Isp Throttling

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The first thing you should do is connect to the Globe modem using 192.168.254.254. You don't need a pw to look at the statistics. Under DSL, Downstream Speed should be at least what your plan calls for in kB/s. Downstream SNR Margin should be at least 12, Downstream Attenuation should be as low as possible, mine is 20db if you want to use it as a reference. If those figures are out of whack you should call Globe. As I wrote in another post, I had a cable coming from the pole in the street to another cable on the side of the house that connects to the modem. The 2 wires on the cables were just twisted around each other in the open. I had constant problems every day. Since they fixed that it hasn't gone down once. 

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Send you a message with the results .... thank you sir ...... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

A lot of this explains some findings I had a few years ago. We had 2 E1s (1 Globe, 1 PLDT) that were ran between the PI and Hawaii. The cross connect was in San Jose California! So the circuit path was Makati - San Jose and back. Crazy, huh?

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
I don't know that VPN is completely the answer to throttling, it encrypts the data but it's still using your ISP.

All your traffic gets encrypted and goes over the VPN so your ISP can't see what ports or services are being used. All it sees is the VPN encrypted traffic.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The measurement data is too noisy to detect whether your ISP rate limits your upload traffic.

Almost everybody in Philippines complains about slow Internet during evenings and weekends so I have to believe that IF they are throttling, they are doing it to everyone.  I personally believe it is just a lack of capacity so the supply cannot meet the demand.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

I'll chime in with a note about Wi-Tribe 4G

If you need to view the most recent versions of ANY frequently visited website (e.g. website design) do not under ANY circumstances use wi-tribe! ..

Reason: They cache the internet pages at an ISP level so they can serve them locally to their customers without any external bandwidth cost/loss of speed. Their cache is almost never cleared, this is in an effort to make loading speeds appear faster than they actually are.  I spent literally 20+ hours with on the phone to technicians, customer service, managers etc before getting the answers and informing them of how to fix the issues. (I was tempted to send them a consultancy bill!) 

We are currently on Globe DSL the past 3 years, which has been the most stable connection I've used over here with no drop in speed (metro manila). 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

anyone still having issues or problems w/ISP THROTTLING ?

I used the link ,shows no issues or restrictions on my end

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

sjp52
Posted
Posted

if you can hard wire your main computer to your router, Do it. You can lose up to 40 % of your speed using wireless.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

if you can hard wire your main computer to your router, Do it. You can lose up to 40 % of your speed using wireless.

Excellent idea Scott!  I probably need about 25' of Cat5 ethernet cable.  In the meantime, I relocated my wireless

router (Belkin) a little higher on the wall and got some improvement in signal strength.  

Thank you Scott!

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jake there is a store called monoprice that sells cables really cheap. You can order from them online. Think they are based in California. I order all cables i need from them. Think 25' cable will be around $6

Edited by sjp52