Talking Together With Your Partner

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If the locals speak English and get it wrong it is in my opinion only right to correct them or they will continue with sub-standard English. If we were learning a local language and they did not correct us would you be happy with that?
It depends.

Yes, IF the goal is talking PERFECT English of business reason - BUT in most cases that's NOT important.  (I have done businesses with Englishmen, Irish and Americans with me TERRIBLE pronounsiation  :lol:   but seldom problem with understanding.)

Yes, one/FEW times, IF it's some basic error.

Yes, IF it's IMPORTANT for UNDERSTANDING.

ALL other times - Noooooo. That's only annoying and WASTE of time...  :)

Yes it shows

So what?   As long as it's understandable, it's still NOT IMPORTANT. Ask the high bosses  :mocking: 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

If the locals speak English and get it wrong it is in my opinion only right to correct them or they will continue with sub-standard English. If we were learning a local language and they did not correct us would you be happy with that?
It depends.

Yes, IF the goal is talking PERFECT English of business reason - BUT in most cases that's NOT important.  (I have done businesses with Englishmen, Irish and Americans with me TERRIBLE pronounsiation  :lol:   but seldom problem with understanding.)

Yes, one/FEW times, IF it's some basic error.

Yes, IF it's IMPORTANT for UNDERSTANDING.

Yes it shows

So what?   As long as it's understandable, it's still NOT IMPORTANT. Ask the high bosses  :mocking:

Yer cassan bacun wer yer cassan gatun cus

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

post-2148-0-49960600-1428799925_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Generally I'm not included in Filipino Family discussions,

Oh but you are! you just don't know about it until...... :)

Other than that I'm in the dark on their family matters.

Then, when the cost of things comes out and who needs what, on comes the light.post-2148-0-86913500-1428805501_thumb.jp and you are in the Spotlight post-2148-0-61653700-1428805631_thumb.jp

Sorry petey but I have to be comical about these things as we are all in the same boat at one time or another.  many of us have very very good relationships with our ladies and the Immediate Family but as you have identified, the plastics can seep out of the woodwork all the time at anytime.

Having said this I also know that we and I think you also, would never let things get too far out of hand and this can be a saving grace for any foreigner but when certain extended family members start to use that as an Emotional Blackmail route, My Foot comes down with a very sharp Thump.

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 2

Petey
Posted
Posted

I appreciate the comical approach to this :thumbsup: 

Emotional Blackmail : Yeah. This is the worst and there are no limitations on what people and say or do... as long as we can dig deep.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The usually stories i get are "they want money" or "there mad at you because someone has said something bad against you" or "somebody has been battered - go get them". Other than that I'm in the dark on their family matters. Now it comes down to - should i care? Obviously they are the family of my wife and i care for her feelings and would do anything i can to protect her feelings.
Concerning myself I just don't bother what idiots thinks, but it's a problem when wife or kids get sad  :unsure:

To reduce pressure at my future wife (?) I have told her, when she talk to her family, when it's something she want to tell them, but find hard, then it's OK she blame me  :lol:

Concerning being in the dark, I will BEFORE marriage tell them my boundries, and if that's not good enough, then they better not marry me  :lol:

Yes it shows

That's an example of many men are bad at communication :mocking:    which is talked about in an other topic.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted
I will BEFORE marriage tell them my boundries, and if that's not good enough, then they better not marry me

This is KEY to your relationship. Without establishing in the beginning, expectations and limitations, you, her or both of you will become frustrated and things will be very hard.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The usually stories i get are "they want money" or "there mad at you because someone has said something bad against you" or "somebody has been battered - go get them". Other than that I'm in the dark on their family matters. Now it comes down to - should i care? Obviously they are the family of my wife and i care for her feelings and would do anything i can to protect her feelings.
Concerning myself I just don't bother what idiots thinks, but it's a problem when wife or kids get sad  :unsure:

To reduce pressure at my future wife (?) I have told her, when she talk to her family, when it's something she want to tell them, but find hard, then it's OK she blame me  :lol:

Concerning being in the dark, I will BEFORE marriage tell them my boundries, and if that's not good enough, then they better not marry me  :lol:

Yes it shows

That's an example of many men are bad at communication :mocking:    which is talked about in an other topic.

That is a local form of English which only people from my UK town will understand it is not bad communication. I am just making the point that English or any other language should be learned in it`s correct form.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

ALL other times - Noooooo. That's only annoying and WASTE of time... 

Yes it shows

So what?   As long as it's understandable, it's still NOT IMPORTANT. Ask the high bosses 

That is a local form of English which only people from my UK town will understand it is not bad communication. I am just making the point that English or any other language should be learned in it`s correct form.

And I claim that's a BAD point  :mocking:   in most cases, when it isn't the first language, because in most cases it ISN'T IMPORTANT, which I have PROVEN by I have done rather much business with my BAD pronounsiation :lol:     with several, who have English as first language too...

The UNDERSTANDING is the important.

(I have even made business with people from Poland, who knew no English at all. We had an interpreter, but he tried to keep their speed in drinking, so he started talking Swedish to them and Polish to me soon  :hystery: then he feel asleep suddenly droping his head hard at the table. We reached a startup business AGREEMENT anyway by using the few German words they knew, showing some samples, body language plus writing numbers on a paper...)

• Like 1