Some Good Reasons To Avoid Baguio During The Rainy Season

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah, they mention the botanical garden area of Baguio being closed to traffic due to fallen pine trees and the electric is out, I lived in that area.

That picture of Kennon Rd is incredible. Yeah, you don't want to drive those mountain roads in heavy rains.

Instead we are enjoying the start of cool clear fall weather in the US Midwest.  Still miss Baguio though.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link, very interesting read. We planing a bike trip up there so very helpful.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I took a bus trip up to Baguio for a weekend once. Lots of walking up and down streets and over bridges to get to the other side of the street. Not my kind of fun.

On the way back by bus it was raining and it was at night. I was new to the Philippines and did not realize the danger. I saw numerous holes where the road had been washed out. I saw a bus that was stuck in a hole on its way up the highway towards Baguio. I wondered, why didn't anyone warn me about what I would encounter. 

I have been here in the PI going on 5 years now, I do not take anything for granted. Even a jeepney flying down the road full of passengers makes me wonder, why didn't I take a taxi. These jeepneys are not in the best condition and the drivers don't care since it is not their jeepney. At least if I take a taxi and the driver does not drive safely I tell him to  stop and let me out.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

I have been telling you guys for some time that Baguio is a hell hole of overcrowding and pollution. And a traffic nightmare. It's another case of the myth clouding the reality.

Baguio has cooler weather down to freezing. It has been a haven for the rich since the Marcos era, when all the top politicians would vacation there from the 1950's onwards. You won't see those people now. You will see ex pats and Koreans, still looking for the past glory of the place.

You only have to look at the way the housing has been built into the surrounding hills to see the persistent threat of landslides. And that's because Baguio reached it's expansion limit many years ago. Unless 10 km out on a hill top where it is scenic but freezing.

Avoid the place.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have been telling you guys for some time that Baguio is a hell hole of overcrowding and pollution

Yes you have, but you have also been saying things like:

Places Worth Seeing:  I would not want to recommend anything, ask your gf. Most people would probably like to have a look at Baguio

So its easy to say "I told you so" when you have all the bases covered  :tiphat:

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

In context, Paul was moving to the area and was asking about local attractions. He's about100 km from Baguio so I rec to him the Banaue Rice Terraces, in the same region.

And catch my wording. I was very careful in saying "I would not recommend to you anything"   "ask your gf"  "most people would probably want to have a look at Baguio". The wording was careful to avoid giving any direct recommendation to Baguio.

Now search my posts for the many negative comments which I have about Baguio. Surely for balance you would like to put them up?

Edited by chris49
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Now search my posts for the many negative comments which I have about Baguio. Surely for balance you would like to put them up?

Come on, admit it, I gotcha  :hystery:   :hystery:   Yes, you usually post negative comments about Baguio but every once in a while we have to keep you on your toes  :cheersty:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I am right up to snuff mate, but thanks for the comeback :) .

In fairness I was able to stay 8 days and 4 days, 5 Star at Camp John Hay, playing golf in the Phil-Am Classic and it was actually amazing. Not the real world though, any venture into the city was an unmitigated disaster.

Our collegue here On My Way, belies my comments and frequently takes his family. In particular, they like the cold weather, so add that in for balance.

Yeah, the cool weather in Baguio is a big plus for some people. To each their own. Though I love many things about Baguio I do agree that it is getting too crowded.

Maybe Sagada is the next Baguo.

• Like 4