Some Good Reasons To Avoid Baguio During The Rainy Season

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Are there any direct flights that you can take from Manila or Cebu that would allow you to avoid a road trip?

Not since 2008, as far as I know.  I remember there used to be flights but they were cancelled and returned to Manila so often that they just stopped running them. (They had to return to Manila due to fog and unable to land or so I heard - but that may have just been expat gossip)

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not since 2008, as far as I know.  I remember there used to be flights but they were cancelled and returned to Manila so often that they just stopped running them. (They had to return to Manila due to fog and unable to land or so I heard - but that may have just been expat gossip)

That's too bad--understanding the road hazards you'd think that they could work that out.. It must get pretty foggy up there.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 27 August 2015 at 9:09 AM, chris49 said:

I have been telling you guys for some time that Baguio is a hell hole of overcrowding and pollution. And a traffic nightmare. It's another case of the myth clouding the reality.

Baguio has cooler weather down to freezing. It has been a haven for the rich since the Marcos era, when all the top politicians would vacation there from the 1950's onwards. You won't see those people now. You will see ex pats and Koreans, still looking for the past glory of the place.

You only have to look at the way the housing has been built into the surrounding hills to see the persistent threat of landslides. And that's because Baguio reached it's expansion limit many years ago. Unless 10 km out on a hill top where it is scenic but freezing.

Avoid the place.

My one trip convinced me not to ever return. It was not what I expected at all. Thanks 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2016 at 8:09 AM, Queenie O. said:

I've always been hoping to visit Baguio. Are there any direct flights that you can take from Manila or Cebu that would allow you to avoid a road trip?

When is the best month to go?  I think that in January they have a cool flower festival. I'd like to get some fresh strawberries from nearby Benguet. They have the classiest ukay-ukay there too I've heard.

There are no commercial flights into Baguio. A road trip is fine by bus. The buses travel Marcos Highway which is a much better road than Kennon Rd where the landslide occurred. Just avoid typhoon season that is when Baguio gets the heavy rains.

The big festival is the Panegbenga Festival in February. The biggest weekend for that is the last weekend in February where they have a big parade with floats kind of like a mini Rose Bowl parade. For any weekend in February get those hotel reservations well in advance.

Fresh strawberries are available in the Spring March to May. There is a huge street ukay-ukay almost every friday evening.

Baguio is well worth a visit even though it is getting a bit crowded to live there full time.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info earthdome. I'd still like to visit in the future just to see.

Queenie

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I'd still like to visit in the future just to see.

I have only been to Baguio once, and years ago. IMO its worth at least one visit. Lovely scenery during the drive, couple of nice museums and the Military academy. Plus all the stuff others have mentioned.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I had the very good fortune of visiting Baguio when you could still fly there. 

Although my wife doesn't think it compares with the Baguio of her youth, I still thought the visit/tour was very worthwhile.

Very agreeable temps, good to great views, and my first experience of a busy mountain city setting.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

There are a lot of nice things to see in the area but if you are just stuck downtown, of course you will probably not enjoy it.  I like the Military Academy a lot.  Peaceful, clean and quiet.  A nice place for a walk and you will usually spot some soldiers doing drills.  You have to dress decently.  No slippers allowed and you can't look like a bum.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, Gratefuled said:

My one trip convinced me not to ever return. It was not what I expected at all. Thanks 

Putting my comments back in context.

This topic or similar was posted in something like "Places to Live". Now a lot of comments pro and con are on places to visit.

Baguio being historically one of the top places to visit in PI, I assume a lot of people would like to visit there. However for the in crowd, rich Filipino's, Tagaytay has been the new Baguio for at least the last 10 years, maybe more.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2016 at 8:08 PM, Queenie O. said:

I've always been hoping to visit Baguio. Are there any direct flights that you can take from Manila or Cebu that would allow you to avoid a road trip?

When is the best month to go?  I think that in January they have a cool flower festival. I'd like to get some fresh strawberries from nearby Benguet. They have the classiest ukay-ukay there too I've heard.

Maybe take your galoshes? Queenie, can't help re flights.

• Like 1