Some Good Reasons To Avoid Baguio During The Rainy Season

Jake
Posted
Posted

Can't make out the hull numbers but looks like two missile cruisers, an Adams class destroyer (middle) and possibly a fast replenishment ship, USS Wabash.  They are berth at Alava pier, closest pier from the main gate.  I would say post Vietnam era because it would have been jam packed during that time, like 5 ships tied abreast to each other.  

My growing up years (9th and 10th grade at George Dewey HS) was an eye opener, to say the least.  My father was stationed at San Miguel Comm Station and we went to Baguio a couple times in the mid 1960's.  It was freezing cold (60 degrees) for my Filipino blood but the cabins at Camp John Hay were very warm indeed.

I would probably go up there again for the fresh strawberries!

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Jake said:

Can't make out the hull numbers but looks like two missile cruisers, an Adams class destroyer (middle) and possibly a fast replenishment ship, USS Wabash.  They are berth at Alava pier, closest pier from the main gate.  I would say post Vietnam era because it would have been jam packed during that time, like 5 ships tied abreast to each other.  

If you look at the right side, 2 / 3rds down, there is a small sub there.

I was wondering where they would park a lot of ships, if there were a lot.  There are more docks over to the south but I don't know if they were there back then.  They are used for non-containerized cargo ships now.

That main dock, Alava, is where most U.S. ships dock now.

There have been U.S. Marines here this week, but no ships.  I think they might have come over from Clark for some R & R.  There were a few of them messing around at the mall, riding on the kiddy electric animals.  I should have got a video as it was very comical seeing these big marines riding on these little slow animals!

• Like 3