Expats In Philippines Top 10 Movies

chris49
Posted
Posted
Sergeant York

Watched it several times. Simplistic, brilliant.

Support Your Local Gunfighter & Support Your Local Sheriff

I watched those films in movie theaters....James Garner and ?? female co stars? A good example of how good a film can look on the big screen. I have seen them since but with less impact.

• Like 2

Whitty
Posted
Posted

Some of my top movies....no order  ....

Comedy :

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a 1963 American epic comedy film, produced and directed by Stanley Kramer and starring Spencer Tracy with an all-star cast, about the madcap pursuit of $350,000 (equal to $2,705,272 today) in stolen cash by a diverse and colorful group of strangers. The ensemble comedy premiered on November 7, 1963.[3] The cast features Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, and Jonathan Winters.

The Party is a 1968 comedy film directed by Blake Edwards, starring Peter Sellers and Claudine Longet.

Monty Python's Life of Brian, also known as Life of Brian, is a 1979 British comedy film starring and written by the comedy group Monty Python (Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin). It was also directed by Jones.

The Castle is a 1997 Australian comedy-drama film directed by Rob Sitch. It starred Michael Caton, Anne Tenney, Tiriel Mora, Stephen Curry, Sophie Lee, Eric Bana (in his film debut) and Charles 'Bud' Tingwell.

Drama/ thriller / etc

Fantasia is a 1940 American animated film produced by Walt Disney.The film consists of eight animated segments set to pieces of classical music conducted by Leopold Stokowski, seven of which are performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra.

The Sound of Music is a musical with music by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and a book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. It is based on the memoir of Maria von Trapp, The Story of the Trapp Family Singers.

The Shawshank Redemption is a 1994 American drama film written and directed by Frank Darabont, and starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

The Matrix is a 1999 American–Australian neo-noir science fiction action film written and directed by The Wachowski Brothers, starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, and Joe Pantoliano.

Anthony Zimmer is a 2005 French romantic thriller film written and directed by Jérôme Salle and starring Sophie Marceau, Yvan Attal, and Sami Frey.

The King's Speech is a 2010 British biographical drama film directed by Tom Hooper and written by David Seidler. Colin Firth plays King George VI who, to cope with a stammer, sees Lionel Logue, an Australian speech and language therapist played by Geoffrey Rush.

The Imitation Game is a 2014 American historical drama thriller film directed by Morten Tyldum, with a screenplay by Graham Moore loosely based on the biography Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges

The Revenant is a 2015 American epic adventure Western film directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu. The screenplay by Mark L. Smith and Iñárritu is based in part on Michael Punke's novel with the same title, which is inspired by the experiences of frontiersman and fur trapper Hugh Glass in 1823 in what is now Montana and South Dakota. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Glass and co-stars Tom Hardy, Domhnall Gleeson, and Will Poulter.[4]

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lots of really great picks listed above. I'd choose 60% of them right off.... like the Matrix, The Big Lewbowski, Enemy at the Gates, Gump, Apocalpyse Now, Crouching Tiger..., , Brave Heart, Shawshank Redemption,  Terminator, Predator, Avatar,  Gladiator, Sgt. York w/Gary Cooper, Saving Pvt. Ryan,  et al. Love 'em.

Going back in time a bit, some of my older favorites are:

The Vikings, 1958 w/Kirk Douglas, Janet Leigh, Tony Curtis

The Seven Samurai ... Alira Kurosawa. The 'Magnificent Seven' is a western adaption and re-write.

Rashomon... Akira Kurosawa, Several very different subjective personal spins on one incident.

Rumblefish.  Francis Ford Coppola w/many yet-to-be famous Hollywood big names

Barfly. Some are put off by its seediness, but it has a message and a POV

Ironweed. Novel won Pulitzer prize. Also the seedy side of life.

The Time Machine, 1960, w/Rod Taylor

Danny the Dog, 2005 , w/ Jet Li and Morgan Freeman.

The Usual Suspects, w/Kevin Spacey of American Beauty,(1999)

Unforgiven, w/Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman

Road Warrior

White Dawn (arctic whalers stranded with Eskimos)

The Gods Must Be Crazy.....

GranTorina (2008) and Million Dollar Baby (1994) w/ Clint Eastwood

Cape Fear    1962 w/Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum

Cape Fear     1991 w/Robert DeNiro

Zatoichi.... Movies and 1970 series

The Bothersome Man (Norwegian, metaphoric)

Some on Youtube, some I've bought on Amazon, some .... public library in thecoldland.

Been watching Zatoichi every night after dinner for the last 2 weeks on Youtube.

Looking forward to checking out some of the others posted that I've never been aware of. 

Thanks to all for your postings.

Edited by manofthecoldland
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I should have picked

Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I should have added, "Borat". Brought tears of laughter to my eyes. The producer was sued because, except fot the 4 paid actors, the other people were not part of the put-on and bought into his character as the real McCoy. Proving we are often naive and credulous regarding 'foreigners'.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

We have some real movie aficionados among us. I am happy to find quite a few interesting movies in this thread that I never watched.

Now, if its not too late for some, it would be interesting to add a second set of movies that are not YOUR favorite but are the favorite movies to watch as a couple.  EG what movies would you recommend others watch with their filipina partners? 

My "chic flick" list which Yvonne and I have watched together and enjoyed, still includes:

Casablanca (not all filipinas will like that one but enjoy it so worth a try with your s.o.)

Gone With the Wind (many filipinas will enjoy this as they can identify with Scarlet)

Forrest Gump (everyone loves this one)

Titanic (surely everyone has seen this one by now)

Beauty and the Beast (Disney animated version)

But from there my list would change to include

The Notebook (all girls love that one)

Pearl Harbor (kind of long but worth watching once with her)

Blue Lagoon (Oh yeah!)

Pretty woman 

While You Were Sleeping

and honorable mention to 

A Walk in the Clouds which Yvonne likes and I could tolerate  :hystery:

Do the rest of you expats watch movies with your significant other?  Or does she do her own thing while you watch movies?

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

My wife seems to lean towards action movies rather than chick flicks mainly because she can't get "into" it with her limited English and the fact that may of these movies have pretty intense dialogue that pull on heart strings and bring a tear, etc.so she would go for action movies like Fast & Furious (1 thru 7), Rambo, Die Hard, etc...how romantic is that-ha ha..

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
My "chic flick" list

Damn, I wonder what it says about me that this list is so long? Anyway, like my other list, these are on my computer.

50 First Dates

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Dave

Did You Hear About the Morgans

Intolerable Cruelty

Jerry Maguire

The Joneses

Laws of Attraction

Love Happens

Monster-in-Law

Morning Glory

Playing for Keeps

Silver Linings Playbook

The Blind Side

The Devil Wears Prada

The Proposal

Ugly Truth

What Happens in Vegas

What Women Want

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Corina is also not much of a chick flick enthusiast, but she really, really likes "Breakfast at Tiffany's", despite the quite difficult dialogue. She also enjoyed "The Devil wears Prada".

Her own choice of film turned out to be "Warrior", which most certainly would not have been mine, but I decided to sit through it and enjoyed it more than I expected.

I now expect her to sit through "Four Weddings and a Funeral" which has a lot of very English humour and demanding dialogue. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​If these are on the post I missed them, I love westerns, Saturday matinee, double features with 4 cartoons a news reel a short (like Flash Gordon)sometimes one less toon and a 3 Stooges or Laurel and Hardy.

So in that vein I offer for your consideration:

Waterhole # 3

Blazing Saddles 

Any of Frank Gorman's movies

Star Wars 

​The Bond Movies especially w/Sean Connery

The Bean movies.

The Wizard of OZ (I can relate to the Tin Man as I am now getting rusty myself)

Bit over 10 but their are so many Like Lash Larue Gene & Roy and the rest of the Bs

• Like 1