Sim card registration comming

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
On 5/31/2024 at 12:43 AM, Gator said:

Quick update about this: I got a SIM card at the airport. It's a normal prepaid card. I asked 100 times if it will expire after 30 days, both Globe and Smart staff assured me it won't expire. I choose Smart. It took them 10 minutes to reg it on my passport data + selfie. Later, I downloaded the Smart app and it shows 'expiry 2025' (without adding load). Looks like the 30 days is just for 'tourist sims' if you specifically choose the 'tourist sim' (I didn't ask if it existed).

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

Quick update about this: I got a SIM card at the airport. It's a normal prepaid card. I asked 100 times if it will expire after 30 days, both Globe and Smart staff assured me it won't expire. I choose Smart. It took them 10 minutes to reg it on my passport data + selfie. Later, I downloaded the Smart app and it shows 'expiry 2025' (without adding load). Looks like the 30 days is just for 'tourist sims' if you specifically choose the 'tourist sim' (I didn't ask if it existed).

I'm not sure what a Tourist Sim is - maybe a sim which auto expires after a limited time? 

As far as I can work out, the sim is not the issue rather whether you register as a tourist (expires after 30 days) or a foreign resident ( never expires) if you register as a foreign resident you'd need ACR card and proof of address. I'm not quite sure how they managed to get around that.

B.T.W. The expiry date on the app for the sim is nothing to do with the sim registration program so that can be ignored - they have no idea when they produce the sim who is going to buy it. 

All that said, the system may have changed in the last year or so or the telcos may have already twigged the system doesn't work anyway.

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure what a Tourist Sim is - maybe a sim which auto expires after a limited time? 

As far as I can work out, the sim is not the issue rather whether you register as a tourist (expires after 30 days) or a foreign resident ( never expires) if you register as a foreign resident you'd need ACR card and proof of address. I'm not quite sure how they managed to get around that.

B.T.W. The expiry date on the app for the sim is nothing to do with the sim registration program so that can be ignored - they have no idea when they produce the sim who is going to buy it. 

All that said, the system may have changed in the last year or so or the telcos may have already twigged the system doesn't work anyway.

Oh oh, hmmm, yeah, so could be in for a surprise. I will walk into a Smart shop in the next couple of days to figure this out.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gutenberg said:

Oh oh, hmmm, yeah, so could be in for a surprise. I will walk into a Smart shop in the next couple of days to figure this out.

As things were, yes, you're getting a surprise after 30 days!

But, things change and maybe they've found a way around the system already. 

But, do not assume that just because 10 members of staff assure you of something It's all good. I've countless experiences of folk just saying what you want to hear because it's of no consequence to them. 

Ask to see the registration for your sim on the Sim Registration website - that will conclusively prove on what basis you're registered.  Don't take no for an answer on this. 

• Thanks 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As things were, yes, you're getting a surprise after 30 days!

But, things change and maybe they've found a way around the system already. 

But, do not assume that just because 10 members of staff assure you of something It's all good. I've countless experiences of folk just saying what you want to hear because it's of no consequence to them. 

Ask to see the registration for your sim on the Sim Registration website - that will conclusively prove on what basis you're registered.  Don't take no for an answer on this. 

Yeah, I wasn't totally convinced by the staff anyway, but the app showing me the expiry date made me think it looks good to go. Really weird system, though.

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

The 2025 expiry date is if you activate the sim, use it and then let it sit dormant without a load for a year. Do that, it will expire and become useless. It has nothing to do with the 30 day expiration for tourists. 

• 2 weeks later...
Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)

I rechecked at SM Center in Angeles in the Smart store. They don't have such a thing as a 'tourist sim card'.

I asked the clerk 10x times in different variations if my sim card will be disabled and showed him the info from the website.

"Will not be disabled, outdated info on the website".

Edited by Gutenberg
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

Anyone have experience with Dito cell service and their SIMS?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

I rechecked at SM Center in Angeles in the Smart store. They don't have such a thing as a 'tourist sim card'.

I asked the clerk 10x times in different variations if my sim card will be disabled and showed him the info from the website.

"Will not be disabled, outdated info on the website".

So, they are saying one of the key elements of the registration scheme, the disabling of tourist's SIMs ( not Tourist Sim - there is no such thing) after 30 days is no longer applicable?

I suspect they have found a workaround. 

• Hmm thinking 1