Upgrading to SSD

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Not a nerd, but easy enough for me to do, since my desktop has an SSD and an HDD. All I did was use a free download (diskgenius.com) to transfer my entire HDD to my SDD. The difference between the two drives is like night and day--SSD is faster and quieter than the HDD--glad to have made the change.

I just ordered this one on Amazon.  Only $29.99.  It is slightly more on Lazada (~p1900), and I need to fill out a $49 minimum to get free shipping on some other things.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0TQPQB?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

So, I should be able to use diskgenius to transfer over my Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10 for free, if I want to????

baronapart
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I just ordered this one on Amazon.  Only $29.99.  It is slightly more on Lazada (~p1900), and I need to fill out a $49 minimum to get free shipping on some other things.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0TQPQB?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

So, I should be able to use diskgenius to transfer over my Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10 for free, if I want to????

How big is your old Hard Drive?

Ziggy
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have an old desktop computer that is not worth much and very slow.  Still running Windows 7.

With Amazon free shipping, I was thinking about upgrading it to an SSD.  Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-MZ-V8V1T0B-AM-980-SSD/dp/B08V83JZH4/ref=sr_1_47?pf_rd_i=24436421011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d37af51c-98e4-43b2-9c1f-a991f5feb98c&pf_rd_r=T924MWSTTY4M976NKGCE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&qid=1665810981&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-47&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

or cheaper still the 500 gb is only 59.

I have no idea what upgrading it to SSD would involve.  Any nerds out there that can offer advice?  There is nothing on the old hard drive that I need to save.

Does your old desktop computer have a slot for an SSD? How about your processor and ram? With a desktop that old, you might be throwing good money after bad?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, baronapart said:

How big is your old Hard Drive?

This is an a old secondary desktop computer.  It is 500 gb but only has less than 100 on it.  Operating system mainly.  I will clean it up first.

This will probably be another computer for my kids to have available.  Right now it works ok, but it takes a loooooooooooooong time to boot up and shut down.  Hoping the SSD and upgrade to Windows 10 will give it new life for a few years.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Does your old desktop computer have a slot for an SSD? How about your processor and ram? With a desktop that old, you might be throwing good money after bad?

I will have to open it up and check everything.  I do know it has extra drive bays.  Not sure about the cables yet, but I should be able to get a compatible cable.

I know there is a risk that it won't work. but for $29.99, I'm not worried.  My wife's old laptop has similar issues and it might work there.

Ziggy
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I will have to open it up and check everything.  I do know it has extra drive bays.  Not sure about the cables yet, but I should be able to get a compatible cable.

I know there is a risk that it won't work. but for $29.99, I'm not worried.  My wife's old laptop has similar issues and it might work there.

Could become worthwhile experiments with many lessons learned about how to upgrade computers… and like you said, the price is right.

I should point out that desktops are relatively easy to upgrade, which is not always the case with most laptops.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Could become worthwhile experiments with many lessons learned about how to upgrade computers…

2003 and prior I was the nerd in the office who would help everybody out with their computer issues.  After that, we had a more competent IT support group, and they banned my tinkering!  :smile:  I have done quite a few upgrades over the years but nothing in the last 10 years or so, so I am rusty.  Nothing since SSDs became cheap and popular.

34 minutes ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

I should point out that desktops are relatively easy to upgrade, which is not always the case with most laptops.

Yup, I have an old HP laptop here with a defective screen.  I started taking it apart and had issues.  I need to take that one to a shop.  There are a couple of local techs that neighbors recommend, and they will come to your house.  Maybe I should gather some parts and schedule a visit.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I did this when my Imac ( that was then 10 years old ) stopped functioning. Found an excellent repairs shop in Greenhills Manila and that was 3 years ago....

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Right now it works ok, but it takes a loooooooooooooong time to boot up and shut down.

My mother has an old laptop on Windows 7 that is like that.  Let us know if the SSD upgrade affects that.  Possibly even through in extra ram.  I have an idea that this will be a chip issue where the motherboard would need to be replaced.  Just following the thread to see if I think I should upgrade Mum's.  (She has an Ipad and a newish laptop but still likes the old tried and true desk top).

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My mother has an old laptop on Windows 7 that is like that.  Let us know if the SSD upgrade affects that.  Possibly even through in extra ram.  I have an idea that this will be a chip issue where the motherboard would need to be replaced.  Just following the thread to see if I think I should upgrade Mum's.  (She has an Ipad and a newish laptop but still likes the old tried and true desk top).

My old desktop is on it's last legs, Not sure if a new ssd HD would do any good. Damned thing won't start up up first time I have to press the button then re plug then wait 10 mins for it to boot-up. I's been to the puter shop more often that I go out.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):