Going to Kaohsiung for total medical checkup and treatment

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Avalon said:

I have an opinion, based on personal experience, some of it heartbreaking, not an agenda - sorry if my opinion upsets you - I don't wish to offend - just share what I've experienced in a frank manner in the event someone else can benefit from it.

Nothing you say offends me  But then we all know about opinions, Don't we, so like some others that think they know it all you do Not want to see how the other parts  of The PI can be, Shame on you. Point Made so I will bemoving on.png just to add here, My daughter IS a Doctor, so I have a valid reason to haunt you when I feel like it:rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

My daughter IS a Doctor, so I have a valid reason to haunt you when I feel like it:rolleyes: 

Congrats, I hope she makes a difference in her endeavours.  We finally have an awesome doctor here and trust his judgement - but his access to equipment and facilities etc are limited.

There are good doctors here dedicated to the welfare of their patients, and honest politicians - but sadly for both the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 4

Possum
Posted
Posted

I have had  good experience here at Manila Dr Hospital for 6 months. I also have personally experienced gross incompetence at a hospital in the capital city of Quezon Province. Family members also have little good to say about the hospitals in this area. Doctors not available is the most common complaint.  Just recently a friends daughter took a bad fall and was taken to the hospital where the nurse said she needed a CT scan. There was no doctor at the hospital, they mostly seem to stay at home unless called.. It took 4 hours to get a doctor to authorize the scan even after the money was paid. Took another 4 hours to have the scan read. Had the child been hemorrhaging internally she could have  been in grave danger. This is the norm at most hospitals around here. The consensus is money first, treatment eventually...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Possum said:

The consensus is money first, treatment eventually...

That's what gets to me here - with most doctors and hospitals it's all about the money - and I've watched people close to me in a serous condition sit on a stretcher waiting for treatment or a test while money is put together - it's despicable.  We're fortunate here in Concepcion with Dr Benjamin Bengco III - both our family doctor and the municipal health dept head.  Unlike Angeles doctors his professional fees for treating me when confined with dengue were exactly what he charge local patients - and he spends a day or more each week in the remote areas treating the less fortunate including surgery for free.  The hospital I stayed at - Napenas Hospital here - doesn't ask for a centavo until you check out.  Sadly I have so much respect for both as they are exceptional for the way they operate.

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I have to plead guilty to drinking with some young bucks on New Years day, family.

My poison of choice was honey Bourbon.

As a consequence of being a stupid old man was falling over and hitting my head,ouch.

The charge for the Neurosurgeon was 700php and the head scan was 4200php, but the biggest cost was for her shopping, just shut up and pay it.

Looks like a no drinking January.

• Love it 2
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 1/8/2024 at 1:51 PM, Possum said:

Most hospitals in Taiwan, Thailand etc., take credit and debit cards.

Yeah but in Kaohsiung City. Taiwan you are hard-pressed to find anyone who speaks English. Been there and no, not for me. 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yeah but in Kaohsiung City. Taiwan you are hard-pressed to find anyone who speaks English. Been there and no, not for me. 

Were you there as a tourist or did you go to there for medical reasons like the OP?

I’m quite sure the hospital, as a medical tourist destination, has English speaking staff. On their website they also provide a link to translators plus there’s always google translate.