Baguio is now a terrible destination

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 4/2/2024 at 4:12 AM, MotorSarge said:

Weather was great as usual, it was actually the week of Christmas both times, so it was very festive.

Also usually cooler in Dec/Jan/Feb which is very enjoyable compared to the regular coolness.  The locals will be wearing scarves and ski jackets, and I just say "Ahhhhh, so nice!".

I have been to Baguio probably 20 times in the last 10 years as we have family and free lodging there.  The traffic has gotten much worse.  I will still go and usually I enjoy it for a change of pace.  For the past year my BIL's apartments have been full so we have not been.  He just built a "tiny house" out of a shipping container, so that might be our next place to stay! 

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

He just built a "tiny house" out of a shipping container, so that might be our next place to stay! 

Baguio Port...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Baguio Port...

Port o Baguio!  His plan was to use a shipping container, but he may have just built it.  Not sure yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

If you liked Baguio from decades ago you might like Sagada in the mountains a days drive north of Baguio. Then a half days drive east are the Banaue rice terraces.

I lived in Baguio 2 years, 2013 - 2015. Loved it but as others have said, too many tourists and cars have ruined it

Earthdome

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
MikeyD
Posted
Posted

My wife is insisting on travelling from Cebu to Baguio for her birthday in August.  I'm not sure that's a great idea after reading this post and other articles I have com across.

If we do actually travel there, what would be the best route via air from Cebu?  Clarke or Manilla domestic or ??? and then followed by a long bus ride?

Any great hotels or restaurants in/around Baguio, especially for foreigners, specifically Americans? 

Maybe the bigger question is what are better non-beach destinations in the Philippines for a 5 or 6 day stay?

Gator
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

If we do actually travel there, what would be the best route via air from Cebu?  Clarke or Manilla domestic or ??? and then followed by a long bus ride?

Clark and then take a blue taxi for a short hop to the Dau bus terminal. From there it’s about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive to Baguio (depends on traffic). From NAIA you’d have to add at least 3 more hours of travel time.

If you do go I’d recommend going during the week as weekends tend to be more crowded. Hotels depend on your budget, there are plenty to choose from. 

• Like 4

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

My wife is insisting on travelling from Cebu to Baguio for her birthday in August.  I'm not sure that's a great idea after reading this post and other articles I have com across.

Any great hotels or restaurants in/around Baguio, especially for foreigners, specifically Americans? 

Maybe the bigger question is what are better non-beach destinations in the Philippines for a 5 or 6 day stay?

Flying into Clark is obviously a much better option.   I have been to Baguio many times, most recently about 3 weeks ago.  The only place I would consider staying is Camp John Hay.  It is the only place (in my opinion) where you can really feel like you are in Baguio e.g., trees, open space, no garbage, no traffic, trails etc.   Of course a price tag comes with it.   You can find a couple Airbnb's near Camp John Hay that could be a good enough alternative and save you come cash. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Are you guys really all that different from the rest of us foreigners here? :89:

• Haha 4

Possum
Posted
Posted

We considered a trip to Baguio too but we're now looking at a late fall/winter trip to Kyoto. Very little more money and less time to get there considering the road trip. Bonus for my wife is the possibility of snow. Another alternative we are thinking about in Philippines is Vigan City by way of Laong airport and a shorter bus ride.

• Like 4