U.S. Credit Cards Without Foreign Transaction Fees - Survey

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Important note:  I made a purchase of just over 12k pesos yesterday and was curious as to what exchange rate I got with my credit card.   Pleasantly surprised to see that I got just about the exact market exchange rate.  That is something that should be taken into consideration along with international fees. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

Important note:  I made a purchase of just over 12k pesos yesterday and was curious as to what exchange rate I got with my credit card.   Pleasantly surprised to see that I got just about the exact market exchange rate.  That is something that should be taken into consideration along with international fees. 

I have been preaching this for years.  Both Mastercard and Visa exchange at about the mid-market rate found on XE.  So I take advantage of that by charging all my groceries and gas on my credit card.  Then I pay them off with the USD from my SS deposit in my U.S. Chase account.  I never have to transfer $ over here for daily living because of that.  Also for major purchases I try to use the cards.  With my new SDFCU cashback card I also get a 2% rebate on all the purchases.  I have been buying new appliances, etc., so I already have around $400 in cashback.

Yesterday I used my CapitalOne earned miles to pay one of my hotel bills from last week.  Almost $200 credited.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I have been preaching this for years.  Both Mastercard and Visa exchange at about the mid-market rate found on XE.  So I take advantage of that by charging all my groceries and gas on my credit card.  Then I pay them off with the USD from my SS deposit in my U.S. Chase account.  I never have to transfer $ over here for daily living because of that.  Also for major purchases I try to use the cards.  With my new SDFCU cashback card I also get a 2% rebate on all the purchases.  I have been buying new appliances, etc., so I already have around $400 in cashback.

Yesterday I used my CapitalOne earned miles to pay one of my hotel bills from last week.  Almost $200 credited.

Same here, I use my credit cards every time I am able to do so, for the same reasons.   I would encourage those with credit cards to check to make sure they are getting the best exchange rate.    You never have to transfer money here?  There must be times when you need cash right?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Same here, I use my credit cards every time I am able to do so, for the same reasons.   I would encourage those with credit cards to check to make sure they are getting the best exchange rate.    You never have to transfer money here?  There must be times when you need cash right?

Recently, only once to buy our lease last year.  However, my situation is unusual because for the last 5 years my two kids get SS deposited direct to BPI, and we use that. :smile:  My SS is deposited to my U.S. Chase. Kinda got the best of both worlds! :dance:

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Recently, only once to buy our lease last year.  However, my situation is unusual because for the last 5 years my two kids get SS deposited direct to BPI, and we use that. :smile:  My SS is deposited to my U.S. Chase. Kinda got the best of both worlds! :dance:

SWEET

• Like 1

Youngster
Posted
Posted

I usually physically carry either PenFed or Fidelity credit card, both of which gives 2% back and Chase Sapphire card which gives 1-3%back.  I only use cards that don’t charge foreign transaction fees. I also have these cards and Apple Card in my iPhone wallet and use Apple Pay to make purchases wherever vendors have POS terminals accepting Tap to Pay option.  I’ve found that Apple Pay will not work on BDO POS terminals.  I also have my 2 cards loaded on my wife’s iPhone wallet, so she can also use Apple Pay.  Otherwise, I’ll just pull out my physical card and either tap to pay or insert it in the terminal slot.  

• Like 1