Metal Detecting

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

You know, I can see metal detecting at a place like Boracay, on that long beach, where rich Korean tourist are playing beach volleyball or dancing at one of the all-night concerts (if they still have those) wearing their rings and bracelets and such. But I can still see some over efficient security guard with an inferiority complex coming up and saying "Private property Sir!, No can do here" and when questioned suddenly loses his English speaking ability :hystery:.

But as for the rest of the Philippines, with all the scavengers and plastic collectors I am afraid all a person might find are a few used battery terminals, jeepney lug nuts and 10 centavo coins. :whistling:

I tend to agree with the above.

Not quite the same but - Even where I am I almost never find any money in the street (although my wife found 50php last night!) whereas in both the UK and Hong Kong it wasn't unusual to find bits n pieces fairly often.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

You know, I can see metal detecting at a place like Boracay, on that long beach, where rich Korean tourist are playing beach volleyball or dancing at one of the all-night concerts (if they still have those) wearing their rings and bracelets and such. But I can still see some over efficient security guard with an inferiority complex coming up and saying "Private property Sir!, No can do here" and when questioned suddenly loses his English speaking ability :hystery:.

But as for the rest of the Philippines, with all the scavengers and plastic collectors I am afraid all a person might find are a few used battery terminals, jeepney lug nuts and 10 centavo coins. :whistling:

He was saying he spoke to the guys renting the paddleboards and crystal kayaks who were pointing out where tourists were losing things. It appears to be quite common.

He's the first Westerner I've seen doing it, there used to be three or four older local women who regularly scanned around Wylie's rock using small detectors attached to plumbing pipe but I've not seen them for a while. 

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2024 at 8:17 PM, hk blues said:

Based on international agreement, which the Philippine government is a signatory, all beaches and shoreline up to the high-water mark is public.  I have used this a couple of times on security guards, including my bogus claim he can be arrested by the international police (Interpol?).  This is followed by the question, "Where is your property's high-water mark?"  It throws them off.

• Like 4