Driver license renewal

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My daughter was given a license after passing the written test No practical and she had never sat in the drivers seat Something wrong here:tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

My daughter was given a license after passing the written test No practical and she had never sat in the drivers seat Something wrong here:tiphat:

That's what I said the first time I drove in the Philippines. Then I found out one doesn't need to know how to drive on the road in order to get a license to do so. Explained a lot. :smile:

• Haha 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Further reading in this article shows the HPG isn't even allowed to stop violators in this province as their ability to do so has not been renewed by LTO. Amazing country

https://www.rappler.com/philippines/mindanao/fathers-day-highway-crash-kills-hurts-children-general-santos-june-16-2024/

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Far left field, but better than nothing.  I had to make an educated guess on some, especially about motorcycles.  Stuff about accessories, etc.  "what is the maximum allowable distance from the footpeg to the top of your head?".  "How many days are you allowed to ride without headlight?".  

Actually beyond the left field, way out in the parking lot at least.  I really think the difference in sample test and actual test is to make more people pay someone in the office to take the test.  The fee if I remember correctly was 500 peso.  I was shocked that the offer was so open, no subtlety whatsoever. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Possum said:

The written test has always seemed strange to me. On the surface it would seem LTO wants people to put in some effort to learn some rules before issuing a driving license. Yet the LTO license office where I live does not require an on the road driving test in traffic. You simply drive around the parking lot of the bus station where the LTO office is located. No stop signs or intersections to negotiate, nothing..just a parking lot to test your road skills. :89:

You're describing the advanced test - the standard doesn't require actually getting in the vehicle!  I passed the written test and then went to take the practical and the guy just gave me the pass sheet without even a word being spoken - and no question or suggestion of a bribe either.  My wife did the 'advanced' and, like you describe, it simply required driving within the LTO compound.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Possum said:

The written test has always seemed strange to me. On the surface it would seem LTO wants people to put in some effort to learn some rules before issuing a driving license

They want you to learn the rules, yet there is no study guide at all.   Only in the Philippines

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

They want you to learn the rules, yet there is no study guide at all.   Only in the Philippines

https://lto.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/FDM-Vol.-1-2nd-Edition.pdf

A large pdf, volume 1 is 200 pages.  Looks fairly recent based on the date in the URL.

image.png

• Thanks 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

https://lto.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/FDM-Vol.-1-2nd-Edition.pdf

A large pdf, volume 1 is 200 pages.  Looks fairly recent based on the date in the URL.

image.png

GREAT, I looked all over (or so I thought), and all I found were 'sample' tests.   Will go to the LTO office today and get a feel for the process here.   Where I used to live it was easy and cut and dry (well that was before the rules had changed), hoping it is similar here .   Thanks much Mike

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

GREAT, I looked all over (or so I thought), and all I found were 'sample' tests.   Will go to the LTO office today and get a feel for the process here.   Where I used to live it was easy and cut and dry (well that was before the rules had changed), hoping it is similar here .   Thanks much Mike

I only used the sample tests and found them adequate enough to prepare for the actual test - assuming you do a fair number of them.  I don't think there was any question which came up which I hadn't seen in the mock test.  Not that I got all answers correct, mind you! 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Holy mother of God that line was long.... will try again tomorrow when they first open.  In the meantime I can mentally prepare myself for a long day