Driver license renewal

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

When I took the test at the LTO office several months ago, I found it was difficult for exactly what you just posted. Questions about motorcycle storage boxes and other things having nothing to do with driving.  The good part was that I could take the test over and over again until I passed it! I think I took it 5 times before I somehow squeaked by. Many of the questions were repeated on each test, so I simply changed some of my answers about things I knew nothing about, just to get a chance to pass.... and that strategy worked!

fricken mind-boggling.  Whoever came up with those test questions needs to be fired yesterday.  

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

after you passed the online test, did you also have to take a test at the LTO office?

I took the test at home and passed first time, I didn't need to take the test at the LTO office. I had to print the test result and take to the LTO office.

That was about 2 years ago, don't know if things have changed since then!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

after you passed the online test, did you also have to take a test at the LTO office?

Actually, I didn't do the test online - only in the LTO office. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I took the test at home and passed first time, I didn't need to take the test at the LTO office. I had to print the test result and take to the LTO office.

That was about 2 years ago, don't know if things have changed since then!

Mine was a year ago more or less but I didn't look into the online version and just stuck to the one in the LTO office. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Possum said:

The written test uses the same thinking as the road test which consisted of driving around a parking lot at the LTO office.

LTO staff are smart enough to realize their odds of completing a real road test without an accident would not be the too good. 

• Haha 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

LTO staff are smart enough to realize their odds of completing a real road test without an accident would not be the too good. 

One of them actually admitted that to me years ago. Knowing that 90% of the drivers here have never passed a practical written or driving test explains a lot. I have often thought that driving for me would be less stressful here if I didn't know how to drive before arriving. I could have just been issued a license like everyone else  gone out into the wild until things felt normal.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My wife and me went to pick up our plastic licence cards today.  My wife got hers and when my name was called the staff said she'd mail mine out - she was holding it in her hand as she spoke yet said she couldn't release it to me as policy is all foreigner licences are mailed out.  Even speaking to the Supervisor yielded no success.  

Another example of how broken some government departments here are.

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

One of them actually admitted that to me years ago. Knowing that 90% of the drivers here have never passed a practical written or driving test explains a lot. I have often thought that driving for me would be less stressful here if I didn't know how to drive before arriving. I could have just been issued a license like everyone else  gone out into the wild until things felt normal.

I have two relatives that never drove a vehicle in their lives, and both have a drivers license

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

I have two relatives that never drove a vehicle in their lives, and both have a drivers license

I suppose they help address the balance of those who drive yet have never had a driver's license! 

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I just checked with a local car dealer and they told me that plastic licenses are still not available in many LTO offices.