Driver license renewal

Lee
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

My wife got hers and when my name was called the staff said she'd mail mine out - she was holding it in her hand as she spoke yet said she couldn't release it to me as policy is all foreigner licences are mailed out.

Wow, what BS.

They handed my DL at LTO albeit it was made of paper.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Lee said:

Wow, what BS.

They handed my DL at LTO albeit it was made of paper.

No, you misunderstood my post.

I got the paper version a year ago when I passed the test.  The experience yesterday was with the plastic version which is now available in my LTO.

Having done a bit of digging online it seems this is the correct procedure - it's supposed to be help deter fixers as well as foreigners getting a licence here if they don't actually live here.  I guess it's somewhat effective albeit only to a limited extent IMO. Possibly many LTOs don't follow the procedure but mine's does.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

it's supposed to be help deter fixers as well as foreigners getting a licence here if they don't actually live here

Ah... so it is similar to the SIM card registration introduced here to stop or reduce the spam messages we receive daily on our cell phones?:89:

It reminds me of a sign on the way into Davao City from the west where it solemnly states, "Obey Traffic Laws," as I get passed on right and left by speeding taxis, motorcycles or stopped by jeepneys in the middle of the road to get their extra 10 pesos...

Edited by Tommy T.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Update on License, very smooth process.  You must first register online, they have youtube videos and sample tests (I just took the sample test).   700 pesos for an eye exam that never happened.   Was given the test in the waiting area, as were all that followed me.  Sitting next to spouses, friends etc... cell phones in hand, I guess just the opposite of a controlled area.

Passed the test and was on my way with a 10 year license. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Update on License, very smooth process.  You must first register online, they have youtube videos and sample tests (I just took the sample test).   700 pesos for an eye exam that never happened.   Was given the test in the waiting area, as were all that followed me.  Sitting next to spouses, friends etc... cell phones in hand, I guess just the opposite of a controlled area.

I only got a 5 year license so you're lucky. Or the examiner knows something I don't! :hystery:

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I only got a 5 year license so you're lucky. Or the examiner knows something I don't! :hystery:

wow, a 5 year license should only be issued to those with a violation.  Did you have one?  If not, they made a mistake (that was on the test) :) 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

wow, a 5 year license should only be issued to those with a violation.  Did you have one?  If not, they made a mistake (that was on the test) :) 

No violations - my 1st license here.  My wife also only got a 5-year one and it was also her 1st license.  We both go them at different times albeit just a couple of weeks apart so I can't imagine it was a mistake twice. 

Isn't it only renewals that get 10 years - 1st timers only 5 years?  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Plastic?

How long did you have to wait?  Our little LTO office here in the freeport is great.  I think I was in and out in 30 minutes last time, but you have to do the physical a few km away.

We have a sweet setup for registration renewal now.  LTO opened a little renewals only office right next to Autotec testing.  I went there today.  Maybe 15 minutes for the testing (p700) then go next door for the LTO renewal.  Maybe 5-10 minutes..  I was late (it was due by end of June) and that cost p800 fine.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Plastic?

How long did you have to wait?  Our little LTO office here in the freeport is great.  I think I was in and out in 30 minutes last time, but you have to do the physical a few km away.

We have a sweet setup for registration renewal now.  LTO opened a little renewals only office right next to Autotec testing.  I went there today.  Maybe 15 minutes for the testing (p700) then go next door for the LTO renewal.  Maybe 5-10 minutes..  I was late (it was due by end of June) and that cost p800 fine.

Took me just a little over an hour, and 48 minutes of that was waiting for the eye exam I never took.  No idea why that took so long as I was number 2 in line.  Rest was a breeze, the test took me about 98 seconds, and yes I did get a plastic license!!!

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

sn't it only renewals that get 10 years - 1st timers only 5 years?  

yes you are correct, that's what I get for assuming!!

• Thanks 1