Getting my mrs to the UK

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, hk blues said:

I'm unsure why they've advised you get a ROA before the passport. IIRC it costs a few hundred pounds and I believe is more common where an individual cannot have dual passports so won't be able to get a British one so instead apply the ROA. If your child's situation is clear I.e. you are a British citizen and he/she is your child then I cannot see why you wouldn't simply apply for a UK passport. 

I actually contacted the UK passport authority about this and their advice was to simply apply for a UK passport and see if it is approved.  Now,  if it's rejected you may not be able to apply again but the reason for rejection would be the same for your ROA application so same risk.

Good luck but I'd be thinking about doing the application myself without an agent. 

Thank you for replying. Yes, I am unsure too? The agent says 400 quid for the process and that after i had it i could apply for a UK passport after it, but i have never heard of anybody applying for it before.  The application for a UK passport I assume would take a longer time if i did it here in the Phils, but again I dont know this.

Its interesting what you say about the chance of rejection for my child's passport, again I thought this should be more straight forward than applying for a visa for my Mrs. On what grounds would they reject it, unless i have the incorrect paper work?

Do you have kids here?

If you ever know anymore, if you are doing it yourself please let me know. Appreciate your feedback

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2024 at 5:47 AM, Mike J said:

Welcome to the forum.  Try Google "how to bring wife and child from Philippines to UK".  It brings up a fairly comprehensive list of websites.  Many are law offices but they generally tell what process and paperwork is required.  

Thanks I tried that, just wondered if individuals has experience of it, having filled out lots of bits of paper here for various things, I found it better to be equipped with some advice from people too. Thanks for your post.

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2024 at 9:47 AM, OnMyWay said:

Forums are a good source of information from others going through the process and experts giving free advice.

Google "UK Immigration Forum".

Thanx I will try that

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, graham59 said:

Forget this ROA business. No need.

Just apply for a first passport for a child born overseas (see UK Passport Office website. Be warned, it takes a few months for the first British passport to come through. Cost (was) £110 including courier delivery to your Phils address.

Been there, done that...for my now 8 year-old son, born in the Phils. We also got him a Filipino passport, so he is a dual national.

He has been to the UK once, and Hong Kong also. No probs.

Taking the Mrs to the UK is a different matter altogether. Hope you're feeling rich.  UK Govt. needs your money.

Ha ha yeah right it defiantly needs more money soon, is it 38 grand? The country founded on immigration!!!!! 

Did you actually get your Mrs back there? Did she like the weather?

Can I ask, when you applied did you have to go in person? Did you use an agent or just contact the embassy?

cheers mate.

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the rely s, Ive run out of allocated replies so i will try a general one here. Im in the Phils, I was in the Uk fixing the house up last year. I think its going up to 38 grand soon, the price to be able to move there, which is way out of my remit.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

You may find some information on the official UK government website linked below. 

As an add on I looked at the processing time. Twenty four weeks for partners, every other type is around 3 weeks, you know where their priorities are.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visa-processing-times-applications-outside-the-uk

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bobthebuilder said:

Thank you for replying. Yes, I am unsure too? The agent says 400 quid for the process and that after i had it i could apply for a UK passport after it, but i have never heard of anybody applying for it before.  The application for a UK passport I assume would take a longer time if i did it here in the Phils, but again I dont know this.

Its interesting what you say about the chance of rejection for my child's passport, again I thought this should be more straight forward than applying for a visa for my Mrs. On what grounds would they reject it, unless i have the incorrect paper work?

Do you have kids here?

If you ever know anymore, if you are doing it yourself please let me know. Appreciate your feedback

I'd be asking the agent why they think a ROA is a good idea - you don't need it to apply for a UK passport as far as I'm aware.  I'd look at getting a 2nd opinion. And yes, the fee is just under £400.  Regardless, I would apply for the passport myself as it's straightforward enough not to need an agent.  I cannot comment on your wife's visa as I've never done it but much will depend on how much the agent charges. 

As for applying in the Phils  v the UK - other than the postal time of perhaps a week given I'm sure you'll use a courier (please do) there is no difference.  The key point is your child was born outside the UK.   They will send the passport and all documents back by courier. Just make sure you provide them with everything they ask for 1st time as otherwise you might need to spend another £50 on courier fees.  

The chance of rejection - I have no idea but I was simply pointing out what COULD happen. I'm pretty sure it will be way easier (and definitely cheaper) than your wife's application.  I do have a kid here - he was born in Hong Kong then we moved here 9 years ago.  I'll get around to getting him a UK passport after his 14th birthday and before his 16th as it's not a necessity for now. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bobthebuilder said:

Thanks for the rely s, Ive run out of allocated replies so i will try a general one here. Im in the Phils, I was in the Uk fixing the house up last year. I think its going up to 38 grand soon, the price to be able to move there, which is way out of my remit.

Just a bit of advice, don’t photocopy original paperwork and hand to departments and make sure birth certificates are original with correct name’s and date’s, make sure her parents names are correct as older Philippine records are all over the place. By the time your finished, you’ll wish you hadn’t started. Make sure you have miles of photos and written communication plus if you’ve been here awhile, receipts of accommodation, there’s a stack of paperwork it seems never ending, just be patient with your wife, after all it’s the system not her fault. Good luck 

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bobthebuilder said:

Hello mate, don't know about the situation for your missus but regarding your kids passport I just recently completed the process.  Like yourself I am British and living here in the Phils, actually in Dumaguete like yourself. The whole process took 7 months from start to finish, my 5 year old lad got his a few weeks back.

• Like 2

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

You may find some information on the official UK government website linked below. 

As an add on I looked at the processing time. Twenty four weeks for partners, every other type is around 3 weeks, you know where their priorities are.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visa-processing-times-applications-outside-the-uk

That's useful to know, cheers. I did write to what I think is an email address earlier today, so lets see what comes of that.