Getting my mrs to the UK

graham59
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bobthebuilder said:

Ha ha yeah right it defiantly needs more money soon, is it 38 grand? The country founded on immigration!!!!! 

Did you actually get your Mrs back there? Did she like the weather?

Can I ask, when you applied did you have to go in person? Did you use an agent or just contact the embassy?

cheers mate.

I took the first Filipina Mrs to the UK, but things were much cheaper and simpler back then.  We have a son (now 30)...UK-born, from that 15 year marriage.

The current Mrs, I've no intention of taking there. I'm too old, and no longer want to live there. Glad I 'escaped' actually.  She (Mrs) is just too wrapped up with her family and friends here, to live happily in the UK anyway. Of course she doesn't think that is the case... but.

• Like 2

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'd be asking the agent why they think a ROA is a good idea - you don't need it to apply for a UK passport as far as I'm aware.  I'd look at getting a 2nd opinion. And yes, the fee is just under £400.  Regardless, I would apply for the passport myself as it's straightforward enough not to need an agent.  I cannot comment on your wife's visa as I've never done it but much will depend on how much the agent charges. 

As for applying in the Phils  v the UK - other than the postal time of perhaps a week given I'm sure you'll use a courier (please do) there is no difference.  The key point is your child was born outside the UK.   They will send the passport and all documents back by courier. Just make sure you provide them with everything they ask for 1st time as otherwise you might need to spend another £50 on courier fees.  

The chance of rejection - I have no idea but I was simply pointing out what COULD happen. I'm pretty sure it will be way easier (and definitely cheaper) than your wife's application.  I do have a kid here - he was born in Hong Kong then we moved here 9 years ago.  I'll get around to getting him a UK passport after his 14th birthday and before his 16th as it's not a necessity for now. 

Thanks and very useful. Yeah, I have never come across this ROA ever before, so it is a bit of a mystery to me. The agent mentioned it was due to the processing time, which would be much quicker to get the ROA, than a UK passport. Its a stamp that goes into her Phils passport, that on arrival in the Uk I can apply for her passport. So with the one passport,  that we actually have for her I can get my daughter into the UK. My girlfriend also has a Phils passport just to clarify.

Sure, I will take what ever I need and hopefully its the right amount, I guess these requirements are listed on their website.

• Thanks 1

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

Just a bit of advice, don’t photocopy original paperwork and hand to departments and make sure birth certificates are original with correct name’s and date’s, make sure her parents names are correct as older Philippine records are all over the place. By the time your finished, you’ll wish you hadn’t started. Make sure you have miles of photos and written communication plus if you’ve been here awhile, receipts of accommodation, there’s a stack of paperwork it seems never ending, just be patient with your wife, after all it’s the system not her fault. Good luck 

Yep sure thing, cheers.

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I took the first Filipina Mrs to the UK, but things were much cheaper and simpler back then.  We have a son (now 30)...UK-born, from that 15 year marriage.

The current Mrs, I've no intention of taking there. I'm too old, and no longer want to live there. Glad I 'escaped' actually.  She (Mrs) is just too wrapped up with her family and friends here, to live happily in the UK anyway. Of course she doesn't think that is the case... but.

Aint cheap no more, thats why i fled, that and the dodgy back.

• Like 1

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Hello mate, don't know about the situation for your missus but regarding your kids passport I just recently completed the process.  Like yourself I am British and living here in the Phils, actually in Dumaguete like yourself. The whole process took 7 months from start to finish, my 5 year old lad got his a few weeks back.

Hey Ed! Nice one. Did you do it yourself?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bobthebuilder said:

Thanks and very useful. Yeah, I have never come across this ROA ever before, so it is a bit of a mystery to me. The agent mentioned it was due to the processing time, which would be much quicker to get the ROA, than a UK passport. Its a stamp that goes into her Phils passport, that on arrival in the Uk I can apply for her passport. So with the one passport,  that we actually have for her I can get my daughter into the UK. My girlfriend also has a Phils passport just to clarify.

Sure, I will take what ever I need and hopefully its the right amount, I guess these requirements are listed on their website.

If your plan is to take your wife and daughter to the UK at the same time then I suspect your wife's visa application will take longer then your daughter's passport so you can likely get the  passport (not ROA) before your wife's visa.  This will save both hassle and money.

Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

If your plan is to take your wife and daughter to the UK at the same time then I suspect your wife's visa application will take longer then your daughter's passport so you can likely get the  passport (not ROA) before your wife's visa.  This will save both hassle and money.

Just my opinion. 

That's the Plan Stan. I am trying to contact the Embassy today, looks like all official offices are difficult to obtain basic information from.

Better if I have to go to/through the Embassy itself to apply for that ( my girlfriends visa ) at the same time, no?

Been reading about VFS this morning via a wiki page, Is it better to use them? Will it be any quicker? This is why I need to find out first.

Thank you for your reply.

Edited by bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder
Posted
Posted

So, anybody used VFS?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bobthebuilder said:

So, anybody used VFS?

They have a 4.4/5 ranking on Trustpilot.  

Make of that what you will.

graham59
Posted
Posted

Of course bringing a wife/spouse to the U.K. as opposed to bringing a girlfriend.... two very different things.

I suppose we're also assuming that the O.P. is named on the child's PSA birth certificate, as being the father ? :89:

• Like 1