PH rejoining ICC? Nothing is impossible, solons say

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

In most Western societies, you are taught to be independent starting at a young age.  It is not uncommon to kick someone out of the home upon reaching the age of 18 years.  Philippines and other countries are different. 

Interestingly the trend with the millenial generation in Australia is for children to stay at home much longer than our generation, late 20s and even 30s are now common.

The hypothesis is that it's a result of Australia's increasingly expensive housing and rental prices and that's driving generational change.

Doesn't seem to have effected the 'put the oldies in a home' part of the equation yet though.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I could see a re-joining of the IPCC with an amnesty for previous allegations and some lubrication of palms, maybe even an option to re-instigate investigations if a certain family start making problems. 

• Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I could see a re-joining of the IPCC with an amnesty for previous allegations and some lubrication of palms, maybe even an option to re-instigate investigations if a certain family start making problems. 

We don't exactly know the reasons behind the feud between the Marcos and Duterte camps.  Possibly, it is about who the next president will be which then protects the transgressions of previous administrations.  This is known as establishing a political dynasty.  I look at the ICC as a threat dangled in front of the former President if he fails to behave.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

From what I have observed, the inter-dependance tends to be one-way more often than not i.e. one part of the family always helps another part but it's not reciprocated so often.  So, more of a dependent culture than an inter-dependant one! 

Philippines is also a patriarchal society.  I found out a few years ago that I am the oldest male from my generation and that means assumed obligations.  A relative in the United States needed surgery and he had no insurance.  The family turned to me for assistance.  My solution was to arrange an emergency flight to Manila where other relatives arranged medical treatment.  Will the group who helped be reimbursed?  No.  It is not expected and reciprocation highly unlikely.  Maybe a "Thank You" card.  

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 5/12/2024 at 4:14 PM, JJReyes said:

In most Western societies, you are taught to be independent starting at a young age.  It is not uncommon to kick someone out of the home upon reaching the age of 18 years.  Philippines and other countries are different.  They believe inter-dependence is important, also known as helping each other.  Family relationships are very important.

Even in western societies it's common that family take the side ot the "wrongdoers", just because they are family.That's the behavior I don't understand. Why defend something that is obviously wrong?

In a developing country, I think it makes more sense, because they can be dependent of this person in the future but in western societies you are usually capable to provide for your own needs, and if you aren't you can often get help through welfare. Atleast where I live.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Interestingly the trend with the millenial generation in Australia is for children to stay at home much longer than our generation, late 20s and even 30s are now common.

The hypothesis is that it's a result of Australia's increasingly expensive housing and rental prices and that's driving generational change.

Doesn't seem to have effected the 'put the oldies in a home' part of the equation yet though.

This is also getting common in the USA.  Also mostly do to the rising cost of rent which is how most young folks begin living when they leave home.   Student debt for university also puts a big dent in whatever salary they might make as they leave education and enter employment.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Student debt for university also puts a big dent in whatever salary they might make as they leave education and enter employment.

In Australia they have a government run loan system for further education loans... 'HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme)' and yes here also HECS debt is a contributing factor.  I just neglected to mention it... apologies.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Philippines is also a patriarchal society.  I found out a few years ago that I am the oldest male from my generation and that means assumed obligations.  A relative in the United States needed surgery and he had no insurance.  The family turned to me for assistance.  My solution was to arrange an emergency flight to Manila where other relatives arranged medical treatment.  Will the group who helped be reimbursed?  No.  It is not expected and reciprocation highly unlikely.  Maybe a "Thank You" card.  

Yep...as I said a dependency culture.  

• Love it 1