State Department issues 'worldwide caution' alert for Americans overseas.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Article:

Americans traveling abroad are being urged to exercise caution worldwide, the State Department said Friday. 

The agency issued a security alert because of the "potential for terrorist attacks, demonstrations, or violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests."

"The Department of State is aware of the increased potential for foreign terrorist organization-inspired violence against LGBTQI+ persons and events and advises U.S. citizens overseas to exercise increased caution," the alert states. 

This story is breaking. Please check back for updates.

For clarity, the actual State website says exactly the same thing and the linked article is verbatim. 

I would've thought it had more to do with US support of Israel rather than sexuality.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

I would've thought

Since is a worldwide alert they must have picked up some "chatter" (intercepts, informants and the like)

My first guess is some splinter extremist cell somewhere is pissed off about gays and such and might attack or disrupt a parade or something somewhere. 

People have been killed for drawing cartoons in the past, some countries still behead gays, some kill their daughters for holding hands, so its not outside the realm of possibility that there might be some cell intent on harming lgbtq folks.

• Like 4

P_X
Posted
Posted

Threats against gays? So what

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, scott h said:

Since is a worldwide alert they must have picked up some "chatter" (intercepts, informants and the like)

Agree.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 10:56 AM, scott h said:

It's what I did in the navy, chatter (SIGINT - COMINT/ELINT) is normally the case with 95% of intelligence assessments, that and overhead imagery.  HUMINT (informants, agents, open source etc) is normally difficult to verify and normally needs collateral sources to verify before being acted upon. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, P_X said:

Ephesians 4:32“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, P_X said:

Piss poor comment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

P_X
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Piss poor comment.

Who cares. 

6 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Ephesians 4:32“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

Saying "who cares " isn't lacking compassion.  It means..I had to click on the link to find out it didn't pertain to me.