I'm going to Manila today

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Last February, we needed transport from the airport to our hotel.  The baggage porter informed us there is a Grab booth (table) and he showed us the location.  There were 5 or 6 passengers ahead of us, but the line moved very quickly.  The person at the booth had calculated the fare based on destination using his phone and he handed a slip of paper to the driver.  Reasonable price, possibly a little bit more if compared to an honest (oxymoron) taxi meter.  I say oxymoron because a taxi driver will claim the meter is broken and charge a flat rate which is double or triple.  

My experience with hotel cars to Makati is a price range from PHP 2,500 to 3,500 depending on vehicle model.  We reserve one if arriving very late at night or during a holiday.  Better than waiting an hour or more for transport.  

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Georgebob said:

Is the airport rate lower ?

The official rate is about 38.7, most money transfer services are offering around 38.3, some with no transfer fee for amounts less that AUD5k (World Remit) but without a Philippine bank account can be difficult unless you pick up the cash from an agent and then you'll get a transfer fee- Bank to bank is free, bank to physical pickup attracts a fee. 

Physical money changers are around 30-32 at the moment.  There's a couple of different options at NAIA so shop around.  I actually got a pretty good deal from a currency exchange at Sydney airport prior to departure before my most recent arrival here so worth checking out as well. 

It might be worth changing the money before you depart but there's no guarantee it'll be any better than the currency exchange guys at the airport. Your Aussie bank will need 2-3 days to get the Philippine currency in if you go that route. Overseas cash withdrawals from an ATM are notoriously bad from Aussie banks; they like to screw you on the exchange rate, charge you a fee on top of that, and then in some cases charge you a monthly overseas activity fee. 

• Like 1

bob1965
Posted
Posted
On 5/17/2024 at 11:19 PM, Georgebob said:

I'm a bit nervous guys going there to Manila,this time without a Filipino with me ,I will take a first time Thai lady 

I may hire a guide 

Any recommendations?

Anywhere can be dangerous and obviously be aware of your surroundings. But if you’re not in deepest tondo, I personally think the risks are overhyped. Best not to wander down dark alleys at night. But other than pickpocket attempts I’ve mostly found if safer than many places in North America. Or maybe I’ve e just been lucky. I’ve even survived scootering on edsa.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 5/17/2024 at 8:14 PM, Georgebob said:

Is the airport rate lower ?

I don't like arriving at a foreign destination without some local currency in my pocket.  The lines, upon arrival, might be very long at an airport money changer.  US airport money changers offer lousy rates and add all kinds of fees & commissions.  We are departing for the UK next month for cruises from Southampton.  The request for GBP from my bank was done online.  The currency was delivered to a home address in two days via registered mail.  No extra charge for the service and the rate was decent.  Our plan is to do the same for New Zealand and Australian currencies later, for a trip planned in October.

For the Philippines, we keep pesos at the end of each trip for the next visit.  Total amount cannot exceed PHP 50,000.

• Like 2

Georgebob
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The official rate is about 38.7, most money transfer services are offering around 38.3, some with no transfer fee for amounts less that AUD5k (World Remit) but without a Philippine bank account can be difficult unless you pick up the cash from an agent and then you'll get a transfer fee- Bank to bank is free, bank to physical pickup attracts a fee. 

Physical money changers are around 30-32 at the moment.  There's a couple of different options at NAIA so shop around.  I actually got a pretty good deal from a currency exchange at Sydney airport prior to departure before my most recent arrival here so worth checking out as well. 

It might be worth changing the money before you depart but there's no guarantee it'll be any better than the currency exchange guys at the airport. Your Aussie bank will need 2-3 days to get the Philippine currency in if you go that route. Overseas cash withdrawals from an ATM are notoriously bad from Aussie banks; they like to screw you on the exchange rate, charge you a fee on top of that, and then in some cases charge you a monthly overseas activity fee. 

I arrived in Manila 😅

I booked a car in booking com to lick up at airport 800b to Makati but he was waiting immediately,I would rather do that than haggle with taxi drivers 

I changed the Australian dollar at Venice shopping mall yesterday at 35.0 

100 Australia is 3500pesos at Venice grand mall 

Other than that I walked a lot yesterday on my first day , Rizal park , BGC ,Venice , 

• Like 3

Georgebob
Posted
Posted

I'm having a great time and no never been mugged yet it's safer than Sydney and I travelled on SkyTrain until midnight no problems 

• Like 4