Dog and Pony Show at the Embassy

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, MikeB said:

The non-refundable tourist visa fee is $185; add to that the cost of plane, boat, bus, taxi, hotel, food etc and it's a whole lot to these people. From

I think that is part of the strategy.  The high cost weeds out a lot of the potential applicants.  Can you imagine how many applicants they would have if the fee was 500 pesos?

Unfortunately the past history of Filipinos overstaying their tourist visas has tainted the reputation of all Filipinos.

I have sat in the waiting area there a few times.  One family of 4-5 walked out in tears.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Rooster said:

What I was disgusted with is many years ago for her Green Card process she had 2 physicals. Each Physical they did an internal Vaginal Exam to ensure she was a female. The staff told her it was required for all applicants.  I would be interested to know if they are still doing this.

There is a general physical where you are looked over externally like any thorough physical. The checking whether you are male or female is an urban myth I've heard before. Any USCIS approved doctor that tries to check internally should be reported.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Possum said:

There is a general physical where you are looked over externally like any thorough physical. The checking whether you are male or female is an urban myth I've heard before. Any USCIS approved doctor that tries to check internally should be reported.

I believe it was around 2009, 2 Physicals at St Lukes. She in no way looks like a bakla or a man, quite the opposite. It happened. No reason for me to add to an Urban Myth. At the time I was disgusted, thought it was a way to make additional money by adding on an OB/GYN cost.

Edited by Rooster

Possum
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Rooster said:

At the time I was disgusted, thought it was a way to make additional money by adding on an OB/GYN cost.

Entirely possible a money making scam but an ob/gyn internal exam wasn't required then or now by US immigration.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Possum said:

Entirely possible a money making scam but an ob/gyn internal exam wasn't required then or now by US immigration.

Well, all i can reply with is I stand by my claim that it did happen.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Gas said:

Going to the US then Columbia back to the US and then the Philippines within the space of 6 months either made me a communist or a drug smuggler. 

Or a sex tourist.

• Haha 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

As for overstaying a non-immigrant visa, according to the dhs.gov site among all non-Visa Waiver Program countries the average overstay rate is in the 7% range which is the average of the Philippines so, statistically, they are in the middle of the pack (despite reputation).

But the main question I was asking is why do they require an "interview" at all when the outcome is pre-determined. The entire process is done online up to the interview, although I think you can send it via philpost if you want to take a chance. The only thing I could find was the official policy, "Interviews are generally required for visa applicants with certain limited exceptions below. Consular officers may require an interview of any visa applicant." The only listed exception is below 14 years and above 79. So the answer is, that's the way it is.

But I learned that you have the right to ask the interviewer why it was denied, something I don't think our acquaintance did knowing the nature of Filipinos and the intimidation factor of a first-time applicant. No indication as to whether or not they are required to answer.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

The only thing I could find was the official policy, "Interviews are generally required for visa applicants with certain limited exceptions below. Consular officers may require an interview of any visa applicant." The only listed exception is below 14 years and above 79. So the answer is, that's the way it is.

Is this the way it is at ALL non-visa waiver countries?  I'm guessing Yes.

My stepdaughter didn't get an age exception.  She was 12 when got her tourist visa in 2017 and we had to go to the embassy for an interview. Maybe 3 or 4 quick questions with us standing there to help.  I think they wanted to see the parents more than her.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, MikeB said:

I was asking is why do they require an "interview" at all when the outcome is pre-determined.

Mike, I can tell your pissed of now about the outcome, I can just imagine how mad you would be if your friend just got an arbitrary email that said "DENIED!" 

As you say, your friend had the right to ask the purpose of the denial so they can try again in 6 months, but didn't (and I think you are right as to why)

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2024 at 7:52 PM, MikeB said:

As for overstaying a non-immigrant visa, according to the dhs.gov site among all non-Visa Waiver Program countries the average overstay rate is in the 7% range which is the average of the Philippines so, statistically, they are in the middle of the pack (despite reputation).

But the main question I was asking is why do they require an "interview" at all when the outcome is pre-determined. The entire process is done online up to the interview, although I think you can send it via philpost if you want to take a chance. The only thing I could find was the official policy, "Interviews are generally required for visa applicants with certain limited exceptions below. Consular officers may require an interview of any visa applicant." The only listed exception is below 14 years and above 79. So the answer is, that's the way it is.

But I learned that you have the right to ask the interviewer why it was denied, something I don't think our acquaintance did knowing the nature of Filipinos and the intimidation factor of a first-time applicant. No indication as to whether or not they are required to answer.

I wonder if the overstaying rate of 7% is due to so many being refused. There's no way of knowing if it would be higher if they weren't refused but I'm sure we can guess. 

• Like 2