Dog and Pony Show at the Embassy

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I wonder if the overstaying rate of 7% is due to so many being refused. There's no way of knowing if it would be higher if they weren't refused but I'm sure we can guess. 

Overstaying means they got a tourist visa and remained in the U.S. after their tourist visa expired.  Not sure how that relates to being refused a tourist visa.

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Overstaying means they got a tourist visa and remained in the U.S. after their tourist visa expired.  Not sure how that relates to being refused a tourist visa.

It's a weeding out process by the embassy in Manila. They refuse many due to the application being suspicious and for better or worse they err on the side of caution. By their criteria they are successful in that the number of over stayers originating from the Philippines is about average. Go to the embassy and look at the applicants waiting to be approved for visitor visas. 80-90% female. The first question that crosses a reasonable screeners mind is why are all these women wanting to 'visit' ??

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2024 at 5:12 PM, scott h said:

Mike, I can tell your pissed of now about the outcome, I can just imagine how mad you would be if your friend just got an arbitrary email that said "DENIED!" 

As you say, your friend had the right to ask the purpose of the denial so they can try again in 6 months, but didn't (and I think you are right as to why)

Scott, it would have been far better and easier all around just to get an email than going through all that hassle and money wasted for a 30 second "interview". 

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My reply was about the percentage of those that overstay not the percentage refused visas.

It stands to reason that as the refusal rate is high for tourist visas if it wasn't the overstay rate could be much higher. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It stands to reason that as the refusal rate is high for tourist visas if it wasn't the overstay rate could be much higher. 

Ok, this makes sense.  I wasn't getting that from the first statement.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Used to know some embassy staffers that were doing the Interview window work. They told me that 90% of all applications were rejected......

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Freebie said:

Used to know some embassy staffers that were doing the Interview window work. They told me that 90% of all applications were rejected......

Which is fine by itself but it seems from an outsiders perspective that the actual process to achieve that wanted 90% rejection could be improved.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Indeed..they could advise all prospective candidates that rules are super strict, you will need to provide XYZ and be prepared to answer ABC questions. And that you have a one in 10 chance of success so be sure you can satisfy requirements with facts and documents rather than hope and prayers.

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted

Some random observations, and too lazy to multi-quote so many messages. :biggrin: 

MikeB- A consular interview for a US visitor visa is required worldwide with only some age exceptions.  I would not call it an intentional scam, but I can see why it can look that way.

I agree, what your friend experienced made it seem like a total waste of time and money, but the outcome of the interview is definitely not “predetermined” unless some of the behind-the-scenes background and security checks show something.  If ScottH’s brother was on this board, I am sure he would have stories about never seeing the application until 1 or 2 minutes before the interview and having to make a decision in under 5 total.  The whole interview process is rushed, stressful and can feel demeaning.  Not a good system at all.  Your friend is justifiably frustrated.

OMW is right about about the many denials and the problems with overstaying. MikeB shows the Filipino overstay rate is only slightly above average, but consider that this number is based on those that did get the visitor visa after the embassy already applied their extremely high visitor visa denial rate. (Snowy & Possum spotted that!)  Others have said about a 90% denial rate, and that is about right for visitor visas.  But their denial rate for total (all categories) temporary visas is on par with most of the world, so applicants for other visa types must be having a better experience!

The $185 is the worldwide minimum visa fee.  In some countries it is higher to match what that country charges US citizens.

Rooster-  It sounds like your wife had a most unpleasant experience.  There are times when the need for certain tests are indicated, and that can involve a swab or other specimen collection techniques that may be similar to a minimal vaginal exam.  The CDC sets the guidelines for these exams (https://www.cdc.gov/immigrant-refugee-health/hcp/panel-physicians/index.html), but consulates use local physicians who may sometimes have their own ideas.  I wonder if back in '09 that was the case.

The Philippine 9(a) visa may also be a huge bureaucratic hassle, but at least most are granted!

• Like 2

Lee1154
Posted
Posted (edited)

It seems obvious that the US gov. wants a lot of new people in the country.  I am confused as to why they discriminate against anyone, especially someone married to a USA citizen.

On the other hand, if a person does get into the USA through some means, they can become a citizen and own land, unlike the Philippines.

Edited by Lee1154