Drive left or right

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

One thing I've noticed is that there tends to be a bit less choice of manufacturers and models in Right Hand Drive countries (some makers don't make right hand drive models or at least not of all of thier cars anyway).

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

some makers don't make right hand drive models

Funny you should mention that, We own a Vios. It has a very inconvenient odometer and gauge position (right in the middle), but I figured out that with the replacement of one piece the car can be configured either left or right side drive easily. Pretty smart move.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

Pretty smart move.

I had a Yaris in Australia some years back with the same dash, it was a clever idea but it wasn't popular with the general public so the next model went to left and right side dashes.  You see some hang overs from cars designed for one side of the road being then made for the other side.

For example cars generally have petrol fillers on the kerbside but when they're designed originally (or primarily) for the other side of the road the filler cap is on the side away from the road (excluding the few models with rear fillers etc).

Another one is the bonett release, that's intended to be on the drivers side but some cars have it on the left (my Australian Mitsubishi Mirage for example).

• Like 1

Imaginos
Posted
Posted

Only two choices. You can drive on the right side. Or you can drive on the wrong side.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Imaginos said:

Only two choices. You can drive on the right side. Or you can drive on the wrong side.

Keep in mind there is no "wrong" side in Philippines. It's everyone for themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Keep in mind there is no "wrong" side in Philippines.

I talked to my Nephew in law about teaching his new wife how to drive in the states. He said "now parallel park". She saw an empty slot, swerved to the opposite side of the road and perfectly parked parallel facing oncoming traffic.

The young man immediately hired a driving instructor.

Total amount : 28080.00 PHP

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 5/21/2024 at 2:02 PM, GeoffH said:

Another one is the bonett release,

Ah... you mean the hood?

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Driving left or right-hand drive, it does not matter so long as everyone in the country agrees on which side of the road.  I once leased a motorhome in Germany and had the bright (stupid) idea of including England as part of our trip.  Never again!  You had to be fully alert at all times and those roundabouts were murder.  The motorhome had a blindside, and everyone kept honking their horns at me.  British drivers can be very vocal and use hand signals similar to Italians when they don't like your driving.

By the way, we sold our Mercedes Benz Sprinter RV last week.  Car Max gave us an excellent price -- twice what I was expecting.  

• Like 3