Rising every day! Fingers crossed EH?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 2:52 PM, Jack Peterson said:

i guess that will be it for the day but it got there*********************

1 Pound sterling equals

74.02 Philippine peso ****************

Zooming again!  GBP 74.34, USD 58.52, source XE.

I just exchanged at BPI Online USD 58.40.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

Ziggy
Posted
Posted

As the value of the Piso/Peso takes a deeper and deeper nose-dive, prices on necessities keep going up and up. IMHO, I don't really see much of a benefit to most Filipinos, which has become more and more noticeable ever since my wife's family suddenly needs more and more money. 

giphy.gif

BUT:

Since this is an expat forum, I honestly don't see much of a notice benefit to the 'average westerner' living in the Philippines. By 'average westerner,' I mean those of us who depend on a steady monthly payment from their homeland as their sole source of income.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Ziggy said:

As the value of the Piso/Peso takes a deeper and deeper nose-dive, prices on necessities keep going up and up. IMHO, I don't really see much of a benefit to most Filipinos, which has become more and more noticeable ever since my wife's family suddenly needs more and more money. 

giphy.gif

BUT:

Since this is an expat forum, I honestly don't see much of a notice benefit to the 'average westerner' living in the Philippines. By 'average westerner,' I mean those of us who depend on a steady monthly payment from their homeland as their sole source of income.

I'm confused by your last para.

Obviously any ex-pat who is receiving money from overseas will benefit from the weakening peso as their home currency will buy more pesos.  This will help offset the cost of living increases which locals have no option to suck up unless they are also receiving payments from overseas.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Obviously any ex-pat who is receiving money from overseas will benefit from the weakening peso as their home currency will buy more pesos. 

Not necessarily... USA ex-pats will benefit from the hike in the USD to PHP rate but some other currencies have not benefited as much (or at all).

The AUD to PHP rate is currently at 39 (up from around 36) which might just about match local inflation (if it holds) but every time the AUD gets near 40 the market tends to get nervous and it drops again.

And some other currencies are doing worse than that.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Not necessarily... USA ex-pats will benefit from the hike in the USD to PHP rate but some other currencies have not benefited as much (or at all).

The AUD to PHP rate is currently at 39 (up from around 36) which might just about match local inflation (if it holds) but every time the AUD gets near 40 the market tends to get nervous and it drops again.

And some other currencies are doing worse than that.

Yes, point taken.

I was generalising in response to the idea that the average westerner ex-pat isn't benefiting from the exchange rate currently when many clearly are i.e. the American and British. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well  Even though this is my Topic you can all have your opinions and such But Today**************

1 Pound sterling equals

74.53 Philippine peso****
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I was generalising in response to the idea that the average westerner ex-pat isn't benefiting from the exchange rate currently when many clearly are i.e. the American and British. 

Now, it is very hard to measure if we are winning or not.  A few years ago before Covid, when inflation was tame, and the U.S. was not printing money like it grew on trees, I could see a big difference when the rates went up.  Now, everything is so expensive, the additional pesos per dollar are quickly eaten up.  Probably more so in my case, because the imported groceries I like to buy have soared much more than local goods, although those are way up too.

Back then I didn't worry to much about weak peso impact on Filipinos, but now, I can see it really hurting them.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Probably more so in my case, because the imported groceries I like to buy have soared much more than local goods, although those are way up too.

I was shopping last week and saw cans of chili and thought that sounded good.  Checked the price and left them on the shelf.  :shock_40_anim_gif: 

IMG_20240528_092057.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3