New facility at SM City Clark to enhance passenger experience

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

The article suggests that you would be able to check in for your flight at the mall.

Yes, but why?  They encourage online check-in now.  Surely they are not going to be checking baggage there.  Even if they did, I would not give my bags there.  Surely any immigration activities can't take place there.

And then, how do these passengers get to the airport?  There is some limited bus service.  Maybe the train in the future but I doubt that it will have the needed frequency.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, but why?  They encourage online check-in now.  Surely they are not going to be checking baggage there.  Even if they did, I would not give my bags there.  Surely any immigration activities can't take place there.

And then, how do these passengers get to the airport?  There is some limited bus service.  Maybe the train in the future but I doubt that it will have the needed frequency.

I've seen in-town check-in in a couple of cities. In fact, in Hong Kong most folk use the in-town check-in and then take the airport express to the airport with bags already checked-in and it's convenient to not have to take the baggage onto the train.  

Why wouldn't you use such a service for your bags - it's no different to checking them in at the airport?

Immigration, of course, is still done at the airport but check-in and immigration are always separate activities anyway. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Current state of play with the railway (from Manila to Angeles City).... not far off SM Angeles now.

Pic taken during the past week, I believe:

8518caf44104cca30a99fba5a3aae32b4ff557cf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Why wouldn't you use such a service for your bags - it's no different to checking them in at the airport?

1 hour ago, graham59 said:

In the Phils ?

Even more chance of losing your bags.

What Graham said.  Another handling point via who knows what mode of transport, in unsecure areas, in a country known for pilferage, and bullets.

Moot point for me because I drive to Clark and park there.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What Graham said.  Another handling point via who knows what mode of transport, in unsecure areas, in a country known for pilferage, and bullets.

Moot point for me because I drive to Clark and park there.

I just can't see the criticism for offering a value-added service similar to what is offered in other cities.  Some may find it more convenient than traipsing their baggage to the airport if they are in the vicinity anyway.  

I prefer to applaud them for offering the service.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I just can't see the criticism for offering a value-added service similar to what is offered in other cities.  Some may find it more convenient than traipsing their baggage to the airport if they are in the vicinity anyway.  

I prefer to applaud them for offering the service.  

Fair enough, and I am not against the concept as it works elsewhere, but those places are organized and have good transit infrastructure.   Philippines is not quite up to speed.  Losing a bag is a huge problem and personally I would not want to risk an extra leg in the bag's journey by giving it to "someone" at SM Clark.

I don't believe you are familiar with SM Clark, Clark Airport, and the surrounding area.  It is still not clear to me how these checked in passengers will get the actual airport.  If there is a new service for that, this may be an attractive options for coming and going sexpats.  :hystery:  Fields Ave is a short walk across the street from SM Clark.  Your girlfriend can say goodbye at SM.

Another issue Clark passengers might encounter is flight departure times.  For some reason, many of the airlines have really late arrivals and departures at Clark.  Especially Cebu Pacific.  If the mall checkin is limited to mall hours, a lot of people will not be able to use it.

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is where The Internet and  Apps can be so wrong, For Goodness sake anyone traveling sort yourself out :89: Most of us are retired WE have time:tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Lee said:

The article suggests that you would be able to check in for your flight at the mall.

I don't know if they still offer the service in Japan, but you could check-in downtown Tokyo at a facility with counters for all the airlines.  They tagged your bags and handlers load them on the bus.  Your documents are examined, and a boarding pass issued.  The bus is direct to the airport and the remaining step is immigration.  The location of the facility was easily accessible by commuter train or taxi from your hotel.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Fine if you're in Japan . :thumbsup:

• Like 1