Sydney to Manila Flights

Possum
Posted
Posted

We flew on PAL last week to Japan. The seats were very thinly padded. Is padding THAT expensive or do they just not care?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Possum said:

We flew on PAL last week to Japan. The seats were very thinly padded. Is padding THAT expensive or do they just not care?

It's a deliberate design choice by seat designers (like Recaro and others) as well as the airlines, more thickly padded seats add weight and take up more space which reduces both the number of seats and the number of passengers.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Do you know if Cebu Pacific offers business class?  My bad back requires a reclining position on journeys lasting more than 4 hours.  I used to stand near the galley area for one or two hours at a time, but that is no longer permitted due to "security reasons."  

They are a single class carrier, no premium economy or business class.  I flew from Manila to Melbourne (direct) 6 weeks ago (flying back to Manila in 2 weeks) on Cebu Pacific, that's about an 8 hour 30 minute flight most times.

It was either a new plane (looked like it) or a complete interior refit (possible) and the old style Cebu Pacific seats are gone, in their place are fixed seats with no recline (seat makers called them pre reclined).  They're more laid back than the old upright posisition, closer to the old reclined position but not quite there and the seat padding, whilst still thin is now denser so it didn't pack down and leave me sitting on the seat base.

When I got on I thought... oh oh... but it actually ended up being more comfortable than the old seats. 

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone tall but at 5 foot 8 inches it's ok for me (at 8 hours anyway, I wouldn't like to try a 16 hour flight).

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2024 at 12:48 PM, GeoffH said:

In their place are fixed seats with no recline (seat makers called them pre reclined). 

Seat makers / airlines can be clever with words.  So can passengers!

On 5/30/2024 at 12:48 PM, GeoffH said:

They are a single class carrier, no premium economy or business class.

I think the proper term at Cebu Pacific is "No Class" or "Classless"! 😁

• Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/28/2024 at 7:15 AM, BrettGC said:

Thanks mate.  It was a bit of a circus getting on the list from overseas without physically seeing an Aussie doctor but it is doable.  I should make a post about how I managed it. 

That could benefit many

• Like 1