• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Georgebob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Depending on what you NEED & Want in retirement 

I need to be close to shopping , markets , gym etc 

I did stay in General Santos city a week and did like it 

People were friendly there ,the gym people were good , relatively cheap, things close by  , 

I don't like driving a lot 

People ( Manila Filipinos) say it's unsafe there, I never had anyone bother me ,in fact people were too consumed by their phones to care about what I'm doing 

I walked everywhere went to markets etc everyone was friendly,maybe it's the past in Gensan 

I loved the tuna shops ,shopping malls ,gyms ,

Edited by Georgebob
  • Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

One thing you will find after a while here is that prices don't always match reality - buying 2nd hand/used items being a classic example where locals often expect more or less to get their money back on items they purchased and now wish to sell.  However, when the boot is on the other foot...

I concur....my asawa has had this mentality her whole life..:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Georgebob said:

Depending on what you NEED & Want in retirement 

I need to be close to shopping , markets , gym etc 

I did stay in General Santos city a week and did like it 

People were friendly there ,the gym people were good , relatively cheap, things close by  , 

I don't like driving a lot 

People ( Manila Filipinos) say it's unsafe there, I never had anyone bother me ,in fact people were too consumed by their phones to care about what I'm doing 

I walked everywhere went to markets etc everyone was friendly,maybe it's the past in Gensan 

I loved the tuna shops ,shopping malls ,gyms ,

You might want to consider Digos, about 1/2 way between General Santos City and Davao.  We have family that lives there and have visited.  Seems like a nice city, not too large, but large enough for what you may be looking for.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Georgebob said:

I'd avoid Cotabato and Zamboanga but Davao, Cagayan De Oro and General Santos are as safe as any other city on Mindanao.

Nb I'm talking about the actual city... parts of the surrounding provinces should be avoided, particularly at night.

• Like 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I am currently staying in Salug, Zamboanga del Norte. I ride my motorcycle everywhere alone and with the boss. I walk the whole barangay three of four days a week. I have never had any problems here. I am usually in bed by 8pm and up by 5am so I avoid any Red Horse fueled incidents ;-). The further south you go on the Zamboanga peninsula the dicier it gets. I feel ok at 59 here but I don't think I would want to be here at 70+.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, baronapart said:

I am currently staying in Salug, Zamboanga del Norte. 

I've traveled through Zamboanga del Norte to go to Dapitan (for the ferry), I've never had trouble there, but my comfort zone doesn't really extend any further along Zamboanga than that.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Me2 said:

My rate this month in a condo in BGC was 12.13 pesos per kWh.

That's pretty much what we paid here in Iloilo this month. Possibly the highest it's been although I haven't bothered checking.

• Like 1

Georgebob
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, baronapart said:

I am currently staying in Salug, Zamboanga del Norte. I ride my motorcycle everywhere alone and with the boss. I walk the whole barangay three of four days a week. I have never had any problems here. I am usually in bed by 8pm and up by 5am so I avoid any Red Horse fueled incidents ;-). The further south you go on the Zamboanga peninsula the dicier it gets. I feel ok at 59 here but I don't think I would want to be here at 70+.

May I ask why you would not like to be there at 70?

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, baronapart said:

I don't think I would want to be here at 70+.

I will be happy to be anywhere at 70... short of a pine box with a dirt roof.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3