Do you really want to be in the Philippines?

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

I think I need to refresh myself on that then, especially not ever wanting to sell it and after just putting $3,000.00 into it the last few months.

Correct Greywulf, I forgot about that. I first started looking into this when the bike was only a few years old..:sad:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Graywulf said:

IF an older than 10yr motorcycle is allowed as a personal vehicle? Instead of my suzuki, I'll bring my 2008 FLHT

Have a look here...

https://customs.gov.ph/motor-vehicles-boats-yachts/#:~:text=Only qualified used motor vehicles,Trade and Industry (DTI)

• Like 3

Graywulf
Posted
Posted
On 7/16/2024 at 3:21 AM, MotorSarge said:

I think I need to refresh myself on that then, especially not ever wanting to sell it and after just putting $3,000.00 into it the last few months.

yeh, I just spent similar on a few upgrades... King tour pack&speakers/leg fairings&speakers... No I'm not putting any LED 'disco lights' on it :whistling:

• Like 1

Graywulf
Posted
Posted
On 7/16/2024 at 10:11 PM, GeoffH said:

50% duty value? (over 5yrs).... plus all the extra's..... problem would be... how much value selling in country of origin, vs trying to buy the same thing in the Phils? If we are going to live there 10-15yrs, than maybe absorbing that 'duty' charge is tolerable... but the 'unknown' is going to be the port/container charges. Having experienced that in NZ when I came here in the 1990's... it was an absolute rip off for the wharfie's 'container charge' no matter what is inside, was a flat rate 'screw you' charge for emptying a container. It was actually CHEAPER to pay to have the container trucked to a secure storage area, take my vehicles out myself (car/bike) and get it trucked back when empty.

I have a horrible suspicion that the 'skin tax' would creep in somewhere in the non Govt charges from what I read on here.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Graywulf said:

50% duty value? (over 5yrs).... plus all the extra's..... problem would be... how much value selling in country of origin, vs trying to buy the same thing in the Phils? If we are going to live there 10-15yrs, than maybe absorbing that 'duty' charge is tolerable... but the 'unknown' is going to be the port/container charges. Having experienced that in NZ when I came here in the 1990's... it was an absolute rip off for the wharfie's 'container charge' no matter what is inside, was a flat rate 'screw you' charge for emptying a container. It was actually CHEAPER to pay to have the container trucked to a secure storage area, take my vehicles out myself (car/bike) and get it trucked back when empty.

I have a horrible suspicion that the 'skin tax' would creep in somewhere in the non Govt charges from what I read on here.

When I shipped over a 20 foot container 10 years ago, I was hit with an additional 17,000 php 'release fee' by the shipper - I was willing to pay this but never got a receipt for it funnily enough! I assume this was the 'skin tax' you mentioned.

• Like 3

Graywulf
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

When I shipped over a 20 foot container 10 years ago, I was hit with an additional 17,000 php 'release fee' by the shipper - I was willing to pay this but never got a receipt for it funnily enough! I assume this was the 'skin tax' you mentioned.

wouldn't surprise me if that was exactly 'it'... no receipt lol... wonder what they'd have said if you'd insisted on one??? Probably made getting the container almost impossible I bet.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Graywulf said:

wouldn't surprise me if that was exactly 'it'... no receipt lol... wonder what they'd have said if you'd insisted on one??? Probably made getting the container almost impossible I bet.

I was new to the game but wise enough to know not to push it and just pay up otherwise we'd probably still be waiting for the container! 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2024 at 8:16 PM, Graywulf said:

50% duty value? (over 5yrs).... plus all the extra's..... problem would be... how much value selling in country of origin, vs trying to buy the same thing in the Phils? If we are going to live there 10-15yrs,

I have never seen it recommended to try and import a vehicle of any type here.  If I remember correctly, you might pay 100% of the value THEY declare on it.  Just buy something here.

Shipping containers and vehicles are not comparable, when it comes to importing.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Shipping containers and vehicles are not comparable, when it comes to importing.

The comparison being made between the two was that there would undoubtedly be some form of 'additional fee' charged as was the case with my container.