Do you really want to be in the Philippines?

Georgebob
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

Yeah. It's all clickbait and fake stories anyway. I watched another dude in his early 30s walking around talking and the title is something along the line of "IS X WORTH IT" and then he's literally only walking down the street and then talking about his Airbnb and how he had to book something else. 30.000 Views. What the. Don't people have their own life or at least something better to do.

However, I enjoy these no talking just walking videos. It gave me a good impression about f. ex. Tondo 'slums' which I would have never entered.

Yeah, I have booked already 3-5 weeks each in Angeles, Boracay, Palawan, Cebu, Bohol, Siargao, oh... and then I have make a short trip to Thailand to meet friends :laugh:. The plan to find a place to rent for 2-3 years in PH turned into the first year flying around. :laugh: Only 20 days left in Germany!

Wow 😲 

It's going to cost a lot!

Are you staying in hotels or Airbnbs?

How long is the total trip before going back to Germany?

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Georgebob said:

Wow 😲 

It's going to cost a lot!

Are you staying in hotels or Airbnbs?

How long is the total trip before going back to Germany?

Will be staying at Airbnbs for $500-900 a month (ie. Angeles $500, Boracay $900). The last regular rent I had in Germany was 800 EUR / month for a studio in a city. But yes, Airbnbs are expensive, especially in comparison to 1 year contracts. For 1 year contracts my budget in the Phillipines will be around $500/m.

I won't go back to Germany except for 2-4 month business trips per year and plan to stay permanently in the Phillipines. Unless I don't like it. Then I will probably go to Thailand and figure out a way to stay there (visa situation bad for under 50 yo's) and if they kick me out,... Sri Lanka, Kenya, anything except Germany/EU. :smile:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Graywulf said:

Australia and 'freezing cold' ???? Hmmmm what can I say?

Today in Melbourne the top temperature will be 19C and no rain (but we've just had the hottest April in record and Mays looking like going the same way).

I get angina when I get cold and the wind factor makes the still temperature feel colder, to be comfortable these days riding, and avoid cold induced angina I really need a minimum of the high teens C (and preferably the low 20s).

In practice to ride today, for me, in Melbourne would be an hour or two in the afternoon as the rest of the day would be cold enough to induce angina.

I can ride in the Philippines pretty much any time it isn't a cyclone (nice bike BTW).

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Every week I get tickets in a Australian lottery.

Need I say anything more.

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Georgebob said:

I was just watching a Duamagette YouTuber who said 90%, yes that high,  of foreigners who went to Duamagette to check it out with a view of staying , didn't like it .

So those guys staying are in a relationship 

Would not read to much into Dumaguete bloggers, they are a dime a dozen all with differing views....Think its known as DRAMA DUGUETE

• Like 4

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Today in Melbourne the top temperature will be 19C and no rain (but we've just had the hottest April in record and Mays looking like going the same way).

I get angina when I get cold and the wind factor makes the still temperature feel colder, to be comfortable these days riding, and avoid cold induced angina I really need a minimum of the high teens C (and preferably the low 20s).

In practice to ride today, for me, in Melbourne would be an hour or two in the afternoon as the rest of the day would be cold enough to induce angina.

I can ride in the Philippines pretty much any time it isn't a cyclone (nice bike BTW).

I got Renaud's disease in my hands which affect me daily wherever it is cool, cold or even just low AC in the house.

I fly a 2003 FLHTCUI and it is hell most of the time anywhere in the states under 80 degrees for me.

She will be shipped to PI in 2026.

Maybe we'll meet one day there. 

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, jimeve said:

England, damp weather, drug gangs waiting to mug you, expensive booze and cigs though I don't smoke, expensive going out to restaurants. I could go on.

Having just had 2.5 wonderful months in Northern Pennines England, , all I saw was good varied weather, no druggie in sight, no mugging attempts made, booze same price as Philippines ( actually San mig Spanish version, Carlsberg Export and Stella cheaper than Philippines, greater variety of vegetables at lower prices than here,  . Only thing I saw was gasoline cheaper here but as I dont drive here , not entirely relevant.

Restaurants, yes generally more expensive but cost of living, not much different now to here.

Within 10 minutes from my place Im up in the hills, no one else to be seen and not a beep beep nor wang wang to be heard.  Easy to put a country down, but then we could easily put this country down.

Instead Im enjoying the best of both worlds....and even found some NHS Filipinas on Tinder in Durham for dates.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Having just had 2.5 wonderful months in Northern Pennines England, , all I saw was good varied weather, no druggie in sight, no mugging attempts made, booze same price as Philippines ( actually San mig Spanish version, Carlsberg Export and Stella cheaper than Philippines, greater variety of vegetables at lower prices than here,  . Only thing I saw was gasoline cheaper here but as I dont drive here , not entirely relevant.

Restaurants, yes generally more expensive but cost of living, not much different now to here.

Within 10 minutes from my place Im up in the hills, no one else to be seen and not a beep beep nor wang wang to be heard.  Easy to put a country down, but then we could easily put this country down.

Instead Im enjoying the best of both worlds....and even found some NHS Filipinas on Tinder in Durham for dates.

You're comparing apples to oranges, Try living in Gt Manchester or Gt London or any major City. As for booze last time I went to a UK pub cost be 3.50 GBP. My local in the Philippines cost less than 1 GBP ( 70 PESO).

Yes the UK has some nice places up north out in the hills, good for vacations 2.5 months if you can afford it.

Much cheaper in the fils if you include property, food about the same, fuel I get diesel 60 peso a liter, don't know about fuel in the UK not been back for over 7 years. Never had Stella for under 1 GBP in the UK.

Where do you get Stella and Carlsberg export for less than a quid in the UK? In a pub or from the shops?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Whilst the Philippines is not as cheap (for us expats) as some would have you believe I can't buy that the UK is comparable.  At least, not on a like-for-like basis.  

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Whilst the Philippines is not as cheap (for us expats) as some would have you believe I can't buy that the UK is comparable.  At least, not on a like-for-like basis.  

For me it’s cheap living here in the UK , but I don’t go out to the pubs or shops to buy beer as I don’t drink it ,restaurants maybe for a treat , I go to the cheapest shops Aldi to buy my food , I shop for the cheapest fuel, with in 1 Mile I can get fuel 10pence a litre cheaper plus I like to walk a lot , so is it cheaper here in the UK or am I just cheap , anyway hoping to soon find out 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1