Do you really want to be in the Philippines?

Georgebob
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, stevewool said:

For me it’s cheap living here in the UK , but I don’t go out to the pubs or shops to buy beer as I don’t drink it ,restaurants maybe for a treat , I go to the cheapest shops Aldi to buy my food , I shop for the cheapest fuel, with in 1 Mile I can get fuel 10pence a litre cheaper plus I like to walk a lot , so is it cheaper here in the UK or am I just cheap , anyway hoping to soon find out 

I like to walk a lot too....but....the problem with Philippines and Thailand is sometimes I had to use Grab or motorbike taxis because it's too dangerous/difficult to walk ,no footpaths , traffic,heat ,  etc  just made it difficult 

Edited by Georgebob

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I have been advised to get more exercise so with that in mind I thought I would go walking of morning.

Speaking about dumb ways to die this would be a winner and take a gold medal, without footpaths and tricycle and motorcycles to contend with there is no such thing as going for a walk.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I have been advised to get more exercise so with that in mind I thought I would go walking of morning.

Speaking about dumb ways to die this would be a winner and take a gold medal, without footpaths and tricycle and motorcycles to contend with there is no such thing as going for a walk.

My sort of walk .

04D83855-0CEF-48CA-85A4-467E64152B23.jpeg

• Like 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Much cheaper in the fils if you include property, food about the same, fuel I get diesel 60 peso a liter, don't know about fuel in the UK not been back for over 7 years. Never had Stella for under 1 GBP in the UK.

I should have clarified that cans of Stella and Carlsberg Export in Sainsburys , cheaper than cans of San Mig or Tiger Dark or tiger Crystal, if assessing same content. Wine prices, exactly the same as Manila. Cant tell about spirits as I dont touch them. Cigarettes GBP 15 per pack..thank goodness I dont smoke.

My apartment in Northern Pennines, about half the price of my Makati apartment, significantly larger, significantly less in terms of management fees .

Fruits and veg definitely cheaper now ( having shopped frequently as Sainsburys )  except for kankong and sayote. Fruits, ok no sabang type bananas in UK but general bananas cheaper in Uk than Philippines. I checked with my gf  in Philippineswhen I saw the prices and I was right. I was amazed.

Not bashing Philippines nor extolling virtues of England as I only know my area plus Yorkshire Dales .

Im aware big social racial criminal  problems in the busier towns places I dont go to . But generally inflation has pushed up prices in Philippines to a suprising level in comparison.

Diverting the thread wasnt the intention.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Freebie said:

My apartment in Northern Pennines, about half the price of my Makati apartment, significantly larger, significantly less in terms of management fees .

You're comparing the most expensive area of the Philippines to one of the cheapest parts of England though eh, my house in the Philippines would cost atleast 5x more, maybe 10x more in my hometown on the south coast of England.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

For me it’s cheap living here in the UK , but I don’t go out to the pubs or shops to buy beer as I don’t drink it ,restaurants maybe for a treat , I go to the cheapest shops Aldi to buy my food , I shop for the cheapest fuel, with in 1 Mile I can get fuel 10pence a litre cheaper plus I like to walk a lot , so is it cheaper here in the UK or am I just cheap , anyway hoping to soon find out 

I think if you replicated your lifestyle there here then I'd be confident that you'd find the Philippines cheaper. The thing is, you wouldn't be able to for various reasons. 

I keep it simple - a beer costs me 75p.  My electricity bill is in the range £50-70 a month.  A Big Mac meal costs £4, a family size pizza £10.  My wife's birthday meal on Saturday will cost just over £35 for 3 in a buffet-style restaurant (actually £20 as she will be free as it's on her birthday) .  Netflix costs £7 a month.  My property/land tax is under £60 a year.  Our weekly shop for 3 is under £100.  If I thought we could get even close to these prices I'd be on the next plane home. 

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think if you replicated your lifestyle there here then I'd be confident that you'd find the Philippines cheaper. The thing is, you wouldn't be able to for various reasons. 

I keep it simple - a beer costs me 75p.  My electricity bill is in the range £50-70 a month.  A Big Mac meal costs £4, a family size pizza £10.  My wife's birthday meal on Saturday will cost just over £35 for 3 in a buffet-style restaurant (actually £20 as she will be free as it's on her birthday) .  Netflix costs £7 a month.  My property/land tax is under £60 a year.  Our weekly shop for 3 is under £100.  If I thought we could get even close to these prices I'd be on the next plane home. 

hahahaa I really need to re-look at my expenses...  

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Georgebob said:

Very interesting 

So you live 6 months one place and 6 the other 

I guess you must be retired or have a profession that allows you to be flexible 

Retired, and I have a Sugar Mama. She is something of a workaholic and doesn't interfere too much with my busy schedule of working on my hanging-out technique.

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Guy F. said:
  23 hours ago, Georgebob said:

Very interesting 

So you live 6 months one place and 6 the other 

I guess you must be retired or have a profession that allows you to be flexible 

:89: :popcorn:

• Thanks 1

Ziggy
Posted
Posted
On 5/26/2024 at 6:53 PM, Georgebob said:

I think some expats live in the Philippines because their partners do and not necessarily because they actually want to.

Maybe in some cases, but most Filipinas (that I know of) would prefer to live in a more developed country. 

• Like 4