Do you really want to be in the Philippines?

MikeyD
Posted
Posted
On 5/27/2024 at 6:16 PM, hk blues said:

I hear you but the bit I struggle with is the "walking ATM" idea.  I've read/heard it frequently enough to believe it's true but I firmly believe this is something you can control.  I made a point of ensuring a line was drawn in the sand when I first arrived and there were no handouts or displays of financial generosity that set expectations for the future.  Possibly the fact my wife was/is onboard with this helps A LOT as I don't get any pressure from her in any way.

What you said about "my wife was/is onboard ... I don't get any pressure from her in any way" is important.  My wife is the one who has been agreeable to handing out cash.  She has a generous nature but recently she has seen that she is being taken advantage of.  I think her perspective is changing and has refused/ignored the last few requests.  

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Maybe in some cases, but most Filipinas (that I know of) would prefer to live in a more developed country. 

This is my "problem"!

I like it in the Philippines but my wife prefer the life we have in Sweden.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

What you said about "my wife was/is onboard ... I don't get any pressure from her in any way" is important.  My wife is the one who has been agreeable to handing out cash.  She has a generous nature but recently she has seen that she is being taken advantage of.  I think her perspective is changing and has refused/ignored the last few requests.  

The problem is once you've let the Genie out the lamp it's kinda hard to get it back in without causing ill feeling.  

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

She has a generous nature but recently she has seen that she is being taken advantage of.  I think her perspective is changing and has refused/ignored the last few requests.  

Same with my wife. Unfortunately it took 20 years for her to realise that.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Viking said:

This is very true.

Instead of showing gratitude for what people received in the past, they complain that the help has stopped!

Yep.  Unfortunately, the lack of expressing gratitude for anything is a characteristic of many here.  

• Like 4

MikeyD
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Instead of showing gratitude for what people received in the past, they complain that the help has stopped!

Or, sometimes when you do give, they act/feel like it is not enough

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Or, sometimes when you do give, they act/feel like it is not enough

Of course - they want to make sure it's a larger amount next time! 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

When my wife and I were married in the 90's we both wanted to retire to Cebu.  Over the years living here in the US we've both decided living full time in Philippines isn't for us. We enjoy visiting Philippines and feel sad leaving but home is the US.

In two years we will start spending winter in Cebu and the remaining time in US so will be part time expats. Hmmmmm maybe no such thing a part time expat. Ether you are an expat or not? What do you all think?

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

In tow years we will spend winter in Cebu and the remaining time in US so will be part time expats. Hmmmmm maybe no such thing a part time expat. Ether you are an expat or not? What do you all think?

I think you would be snow birds.  Expat, to me anyway, is more about where a person chooses/calls "home" as opposed to the exact length of time they spend in each country.  

• Like 3