Do you really want to be in the Philippines?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Old55 said:

When my wife and I were married in the 90's we both wanted to retire to Cebu.  Over the years living here in the US we've both decided living full time in Philippines isn't for us. We enjoy visiting Philippines and feel sad leaving but home is the US.

In two years we will start spending winter in Cebu and the remaining time in US so will be part time expats. Hmmmmm maybe no such thing a part time expat. Ether you are an expat or not? What do you all think?

It doesn't really matter what you call yourself as long as the living choices you make work for you.

But, for me, being an expat is like being pregnant in that you either are or you aren't. 

• Haha 2

Georgebob
Posted
Posted

Great post Scott 

I did enjoy the "slum" areas in Manila 

I went to a place called Deca mall it seems and a place called the Tondominium apartments I'm not sure where that was but the people were friendly 

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

by training pretty much every day, not drinking or smoking

Nice! Me, too! It's a lifestyle,... currently even 2x times per day at the Gym. I read about VO2max a lot and got totally obsessed with doing a cardio/weight lifting split every day. Probably can't keep it up forever, but trying to get rid of this extremely stubborn lower belly fat. My parents say it's called 'mid life crisis' but I highly doubt it. It's just all together in one place, health, fitness, half naked girls to stare at and gym bros to babble with. :laugh:

• Like 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I just decided at 50yrs of age I'd lost a lot of friends and family and knew I'd be working until I'm 67yrs old to retire with the costs there.

Yeah better to get out of the hamster wheel which gives absolutely no reward. I decided that already with 18 but my parents were adamant with me going to the university or doing an apprenticeship to become a butcher or whatever. Lol what. Since then -  close to 20 years ago - I am self employed. I am the OG Digital Nomad before anybody even know that existed! :laugh:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, earthdome said:

I lived 2 years in Baguio and loved it. Then the wife and I moved back to the US midwest. After 9 years here we are moving back. But not to Baguio, we will rent a nice condo in Pasig close to our daughters new school. With the way things are going politically and socially in the US it seems a good time to leave. This fall regardless of who wins the election, IMHO the excrement will hit the fan. Plus, it is a great time to sell our home. We close on the sale in 6 weeks and arrive in Manila July 25.

Please start a new topic once you make the big move? Curious how it all goes setting up a new house and all. You guys have done this before so some of us will learn from you.

And good luck moving back to da Philippines! :6:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/28/2024 at 3:00 PM, Onemore52 said:

I have been advised to get more exercise so with that in mind I thought I would go walking of morning.

Speaking about dumb ways to die this would be a winner and take a gold medal, without footpaths and tricycle and motorcycles to contend with there is no such thing as going for a walk.

Guess I fortunate, within 15 minutes drive from home I have beautiful nature to hike in. No people around, no garbage just nature and a few carabols, goats.  Plus from the door can walk down nice tidy side streets, gardens and people, always bring large umbrella as on occasions do meet a growling dog, rare and never really an issue, just the heat.

• Like 5

Georgebob
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, earthdome said:

I lived 2 years in Baguio and loved it. Then the wife and I moved back to the US midwest. After 9 years here we are moving back. But not to Baguio, we will rent a nice condo in Pasig close to our daughters new school. With the way things are going politically and socially in the US it seems a good time to leave. This fall regardless of who wins the election, IMHO the excrement will hit the fan. Plus, it is a great time to sell our home. We close on the sale in 6 weeks and arrive in Manila July 25.

I just left Manila last week after a week there ,is Pasig near the MRT?