Do you really want to be in the Philippines?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Georgebob said:

is Pasig near the MRT?

Mrt has a station in Pasig....google Pasig MRT

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, RBM said:

Guess I fortunate, within 15 minutes drive from home I have beautiful nature to hike in. No people around, no garbage just nature and a few carabols, goats.  Plus from the door can walk down nice tidy side streets, gardens and people, always bring large umbrella as on occasions do meet a growling dog, rare and never really an issue, just the heat.

We would absolutely LOVE to live in an area like that, however, I have yet to find a place here that has what you describe, and the 'amenities' etc., that I also desire:  Reliable electricity and water, access to decent restaurants/food (variety), good school, a hot shower whenever I want, reliable internet etc.   If there is an area like this (that has the best of both worlds), somebody please let me know.  Here are the places I have already visited:  Iloilo, Cebu, Davao, Palawan, Baguio, Manila, Tagaytay (pretty much most of Cavite and Manila), Angeles, Clark, Subic, Bicol, and Boracay.  

Georgebob
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, scott h said:

Mrt has a station in Pasig....google Pasig MRT

Yes I recall it's ESDA or and Taft Avenue 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Georgebob said:

Yes I recall it's ESDA or and Taft Avenue 

Google is your friend....it even works here in da Philippines

deer in headlights.jpg

Georgebob
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

Google is your friend....it even works here in da Philippines

deer in headlights.jpg

I don't really care 

I use GRAB 

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

We would absolutely LOVE to live in an area like that, however, I have yet to find a place here that has what you describe, and the 'amenities' etc., that I also desire:  Reliable electricity and water, access to decent restaurants/food (variety), good school, a hot shower whenever I want, reliable internet etc.   If there is an area like this (that has the best of both worlds), somebody please let me know.  Here are the places I have already visited:  Iloilo, Cebu, Davao, Palawan, Baguio, Manila, Tagaytay (pretty much most of Cavite and Manila), Angeles, Clark, Subic, Bicol, and Boracay.  

Having lived in quite a few different areas in the Visayas never have I failed to find nice spots to walk or hike in. Its just a matter of getting out and trying different spots, of course one receives a few knock backs but part of the process, even living in V Rama Cebu, soon found beautiful quiet areas in the back of Guadalupe church. Its just getting out, nothing comes to one without effort.

We have the typical horrendous traffic issues at rush hour, restaurants here are shocking and as my partner loves cooking western food we eat out about once a week. Like everywhere, have our power outages and other nuances.  Just a matter of acceptance as no where has everything you mentioned.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, RBM said:

Having lived in quite a few different areas in the Visayas never have I failed to find nice spots to walk or hike in. Its just a matter of getting out and trying different spots, of course one receives a few knock backs but part of the process, even living in V Rama Cebu, soon found beautiful quiet areas in the back of Guadalupe church. Its just getting out, nothing comes to one without effort.

We have the typical horrendous traffic issues at rush hour, restaurants here are shocking and as my partner loves cooking western food we eat out about once a week. Like everywhere, have our power outages and other nuances.  Just a matter of acceptance as no where has everything you mentioned.

Where I live now, I never have power outages, always have hot water (in the sinks and shower), no traffic, access to just about everything I need/want, any kind of food/restaurant you could desire, and great schools nearby.   hahaha BUT, we both miss is this: " within 15 minutes drive from home I have beautiful nature to hike in. No people around, no garbage just nature and a few carabols, goats."   If we did not have a son, our options would be much larger, but we owe him the best education we can provide...    Even crossing off decent schools, it really is impossible to have what I have now, and what you have.   yeah I know I am asking for too much, but we are still looking and keeping our fingers crossed.     I grew up fishing and having trails, rivers, lakes, clean parks etc...   kind of what my son to experience the same thing

Edited by craftbeerlover
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Georgebob said:

I just left Manila last week after a week there ,is Pasig near the MRT?

I have no idea, never used the MRT. Pasig is a bit east of EDSA and just  north of BGC.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've pretty much settled here for financial and quality of life reasons. It's an added bonus that I found a nice woman but I left a nice one back in my home country. I just decided at 50yrs of age I'd lost a lot of friends and family and knew I'd be working until I'm 67yrs old to retire with the costs there. 

I quickly got over the romantic notion of great family and Christian values due to the majority I came across just playing lip service to everything. 

I bypass the drama most people get by being unsociable with only a few select friends who never talk personal stuff, just laugh joke and abuse each other. 

I also got around most of the inefficiencies by living in a secure condo with full generator backup and having a good choice of shops and restaurants that have been tried and tested for their efficiencies. 

Value wise for 55k pesos per month two of us can eat three good meals per day, visit a couple of the World's top beaches within 10 minutes and choose from about 500 bars and restaurants within 20 mins. I'd never get that back in the UK. Medical is a slight downfall but I aim off for that by training pretty much every day, not drinking or smoking and there's about 5 medical clinics that carry out full blood work, ECG, chest x-rays etc for under 2k pesos. If they pick anything dodgy up UK here I come, but I'll be back..

Just to pick up on that last point - don't depend on first being able to travel back to the UK and second that the NHS will treat you for free.

Otherwise,  I agree with pretty much everything else in your post.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/28/2024 at 3:00 PM, Onemore52 said:

I have been advised to get more exercise so with that in mind I thought I would go walking of morning.

Speaking about dumb ways to die this would be a winner and take a gold medal, without footpaths and tricycle and motorcycles to contend with there is no such thing as going for a walk.

This all depends on where one chooses to live in the Philippines. Plenty of wide paths in my area so walking is no problem. In fact, for a month this June, every street in the area will be closed on Sunday for 5 hours to allow people to walk, jog, or ride bikes on the roads with no traffic. I hear they are doing the same in some areas of Manila too. 

Again and this is referring to some other members' comments such as no one speaks English in their area but where I am everyone does.

Another comment about frequent power outages and again no problem here plus we have backup generators in case. 

All about where one lives.

• Like 3