Do you really want to be in the Philippines?

Freebie
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

in the area will be closed on Sunday for 5 hours to allow people to walk, jog, or ride bikes on the roads with no traffic. I hear they are doing the same in some areas of Manila too. 

Off the original top but yes Ortigas closes some streets for 36 hours from Friday till Sunday... and in Makati, Ayala Ave, Makati Ave and Paseo are closed to vehicles and only open to walkers cyclists roller bladers etc from 6am to 10am on Sundays.....its so nice to be able to walk those streets with other like minded walkers, and those taking their excercise.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Here in the province there is no footpaths anywhere.

• Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Holy cow, that must be a thinly populated province.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

No, it’s a city built around the rice fields so all of the land is used for agriculture.

The city was never planned for the motor car in fact a taxi company gave up operation because the roads are not wide enough for cars.

As progress is taking shape and the farmlands are being developed for housing developments something will have to change but the future is not looking good.

Luckily for me I can go to the SM shopping mall and can do my walking there on a flat surface.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Problem here is that the Majority  are City Dwellers, Come on down some of you and have a Closer look at a Province Town

Edited by Jack Peterson

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've been living a good few years on Boracay and regularly get friends visiting who had previously been here on holiday. They tended to stick to the tourist trail and had it down as just a beach holiday island. 

Once I'd guided them around and shown them the other side of Boracay they've been pleasantly surprised and some have now settled here. There's all the peace and quiet you want with the added bonus of an area full of top bars, restaurants, delis etc. For those with children there's an International and English school. 

I appreciate your post and your plug for Boracay.   Based on all my research, all indications are Boracay is now on the very expensive side, especially compared to just about anywhere else in the Philippines.  There is an international school, which would cost about 45k a month.   Tourist areas are extremely crowded and expensive, and the "outlying" areas are relatively underdeveloped (it is possible that much of my research is wrong or exaggerated).  60sqm condo going for about 50k a month.   

Edited by craftbeerlover

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

researched a comparison between Boracy and Iloilo

Rent Prices in Boracay are 189.0% higher than in Iloilo
Restaurant Prices in Boracay are 25.1% higher than in Iloilo
Groceries Prices in Boracay are 14.8% higher than in Iloilo

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

researched a comparison between Boracy and Iloilo

Rent Prices in Boracay are 189.0% higher than in Iloilo
Restaurant Prices in Boracay are 25.1% higher than in Iloilo
Groceries Prices in Boracay are 14.8% higher than in Iloilo

Oh Well, that is me staying put then. :whistling:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

And where they do exist, homeowners have decided to take them as an extension of their gardens, at least that's what often happens in my area. 

• Like 1