Your safety in the Philippines

Georgebob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Screenshot_2024-05-27-16-03-39-47_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329~2.jpgScreenshot_2024-05-27-16-03-55-26_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329~2.jpg

A YouTube video I watched today and a comment posted about crime

So I would like to get into that topic today.

I have been to the Philippines twice in the last 3 years from Gensan ,Davao to Angeles City to Cebu ,Manila just recently 

I must admit I didn't have any problems apart from people asking for money 

Just watching a YouTube video of a Philippines expat talking about how he was assaulted by a Filipino taxi driver.

A comment I read in that YouTube video disturbed me.

Now I will post on here a screenshot of a reply  comment written on that particular YouTube video by it seems a older expat where he states he carries weapons in his daily life living in the Philippines a man who says he is 76yo carrying what he says are a baton & pepper spray 

Screenshot_2024-05-27-16-03-55-26_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329~2.jpg

Edited by Georgebob
  • Hmm thinking 1

Georgebob
Posted
Posted

I believe the commenter to the YouTube video says he is inabanga,I have no idea where that is .

Says he has been attacked 3 times once near the Winlock mall , is that Cebu 

Says he had to put Velcro chest gear in to hold a collapsible baton and carry pepper spray every time he leaves the house 

Possum
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Georgebob said:

I believe the commenter to the YouTube video says he is inabanga,I have no idea where that is .

Says he has been attacked 3 times once near the Winlock mall , is that Cebu 

Says he had to put Velcro chest gear in to hold a collapsible baton and carry pepper spray every time he leaves the house

I believe I would move to another town and see if the same thing happened. If so it's not them it's me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Sounds like some one who watches too many Rambo movies, and practices baton moves in front of a mirror? :whistling:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

Would someone provide a link so that I might watch this YouTube video. Thanks.

Lee
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Sounds like some one who watches too many Rambo movies, and practices baton moves in front of a mirror?

You would be wrong there. I know Lamoe and he's a pretty reasonable guy.

If you read his "bio" in the OP you might have noticed that he is quite diminutive in size and almost 80 yrs old. He's a bit feeble and hard of hearing. When he lived in Cebu he often got messed with while shopping at the Carbon market with his GF (now wife). To a lot of the locals he was looked upon as a pretty easy target. In reality he could probably do little to fight back if needed---the baton that he carries offers up some type of peace of mind, perhaps a little more.

He has been told by his friends that he really should stay home more often and stay away from public notice but being a guy, he refuses to listen.

I have to commend anyone at his age and having his limitations that's out there everyday trying to live his life as he chooses.

Some might be surprised to know that many ex pats carry guns (illegally of course) in their cars when they go out. Most can't afford to live in nice neighborhoods in Subic or gated condos in Cebu. They have to provide their own security.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I have no idea about this guy but I tend to believe that folk who, whilst not necessarily being the type to look for trouble, are prepared for it tend to find it more so than the rest of us.  

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Lee said:

Would someone provide a link so that I might watch this YouTube video. Thanks.

The foreigner sounded a nob to me, if the taxi driver doesn't want you in the front seat then book another one if you don't like it.

• Like 1