Experience with Customs?

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted

I want to have product samples (including food stuff) shipped to the Phillipines (business unrelated to the Phillipines) from China and wonder if they just go through customs or will they be held up at a custom's office?

In Thailand I made the experience that everything ordered on Lazada just went straight to me, without any 'interference'. However I made the mistake once and had my PS4 sent to me, by UPS, and I had to pay a lot additionally.

Any of you have some experience on how PH customs is handling stuff, if f. ex. sent by DHL/UPS express?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a general rule, since the signing of GATT (General Agreement on Trade and Tariff), most Customs don't bother about merchandise entry.  The reason is this global treaty abolished nearly all duties.  They check packages for entry of illegal or prohibited products like fresh fruits.  Having said that, the Philippines is quirky.  Customs agents sometimes imposes charges when they shouldn't.  Most won't spend money and time to fight it.  It's more convenient to just pay.

Best to use a freight "forwarding agent" or purchase merchandise from an online company who can expedite shipping especially since you are considering importing food items.  I assume this is commercially packaged food.  Fresh food and certain processed food can be very complicated.  

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 4

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

As a general rule, since the signing of GATT (General Agreement on Trade and Tariff), most Customs don't bother about merchandise entry.  The reason is this global treaty abolished nearly all duties.  They check packages for entry of illegal or prohibited products like fresh fruits.  Having said that, the Philippines is quirky.  Customs agents sometimes imposes charges when they shouldn't.  Most won't spend money and time to fight it.  It's more convenient to just pay.

Best to use a freight "forwarding agent" or purchase merchandise from an online company who can expedite shipping especially since you are considering importing food items.  I assume this is commercially packaged food.  Fresh food and certain processed food can be very complicated.  

Okay, thanks for the info. It's just samples of products which I might plan to import into the EU/US but want to look at before, it's more 'non commercial" because they are 'free' except the shipping costs and I have no issue paying the amount asked for, but exactly as you said, packaged food/snacks, and I don't want to have them seized.

I checked already options with the Chinese manufacturers and they say they don't have a 'special line' into the Phillipines so they can't prepay tax and so on and I would have to take full risks. Well, I guess I could open a Lazada account and let them handle it and be my own customer.

I forgot that my life goes on even if I change the location. :laugh:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

I want to have product samples (including food stuff) shipped to the Phillipines (business unrelated to the Phillipines) from China and wonder if they just go through customs or will they be held up at a custom's office?

In Thailand I made the experience that everything ordered on Lazada just went straight to me, without any 'interference'. However I made the mistake once and had my PS4 sent to me, by UPS, and I had to pay a lot additionally.

Any of you have some experience on how PH customs is handling stuff, if f. ex. sent by DHL/UPS express?

My ex-wife send my son sports shoes once or twice a year from the USA and they are pretty strict at the US side on the value limit, including postage fee, of under 10,000php/$200 give or take.  I've no idea what would happen if it went above the $200 i.e. would customs here even notice?  I guess they do random checks.

As an aside, they are delivered by Philpost and in 9 years we have never had an issue - same as with all my mail from the UK.  I know Philpost get a raw deal on here but it's not been my experience.  

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, JJReyes said:

As a general rule, since the signing of GATT (General Agreement on Trade and Tariff), most Customs don't bother about merchandise entry.  The reason is this global treaty abolished nearly all duties. 

I don't think this is relevant to people shipping small shipments, especially express shipments via DHL, etc.  GATT and other agreements were more focused on large scale trading of commodities like grains, steel, etc., etc.

When I started in the express shipping business in the 80's, there were huge books with tiny print, containing all the tariff codes, and agents classify all dutiable shipments, one at a time, from manifest entries and faxed paperwork.  In countries like the Philippines, they didn't have such fancy things.  Literally, the importer would clear shipments in bulk by paying cash.  I think Balikbayan boxes are still done like that.

However, even the Philippines has automated the tariffs and they are all computerized.  That is how companies like DHL and Amazon can estimate the "landed cost" of a shipment.  Cost of goods + duties and taxes + shipping.

HK Blues is correct that the duty free limit is p10,000 including the shipping, but that is only about USD 170 now.  Fees can be high if you go over that.  For example, free shipping on Amazon but $154 deposit for import fees:

Screenshot (1239).png

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2024 at 8:59 PM, Gutenberg said:

I'm not sure if this will be a one off or a regular shipping, but in either case, call DHL.  Act like you will be shipping.  Explain exactly what you will be importing.  Food stuffs can be tricky.  Many countries have strict controls.  "Samples" also comes into play.  Make sure that you explain that they are samples only and not for resale.

• Thanks 1